Paramount/Dreamworks - how it effects you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
Lots of talk about Paramount/Dreamworks move. But what people really want to know is "How will it effect me, and what I can and can't buy?"

So here we go:

Blu-ray loss of current releases:

Bluray will lose these existing Paramount releases that will now disappear from the list of BD titles available:

Disturbia
Shooter
The Untouchables
The Warriors: Ultimate Director's Cut
Black Snake Moan
Hustle & Flow
Coming to America
Norbit (DreamWorks)
Flags of Our Fathers (DreamWorks)
Trading Places
Freedom Writers
M:I-2
Mission: Impossible
Dreamgirls (DreamWorks)
Failure to Launch
Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut
Babel
Black Rain
The Manchurian Candidate (2004)
We Were Soldiers
World Trade Center
Nacho Libre
Reds
Mission: Impossible - Ultimate Missions Collection
Mission: Impossible III
The Italian Job (2003)
Sahara
Aeon Flux
U2: Rattle and Hum
Four Brothers
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Sleepy Hollow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blu-ray loss of current HD DVD releases:

There are also currently 26 titles announced for HD DVD that will not now be released on Blu-ray

Blades of Glory
Saturday Night Fever
Next
Top Gun
A Mighty Heart
The Jack Ryan Collection
Face/Off
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season One
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Dreamworks)
Old School
Shrek The Third (DreamWorks)
Flashdance
Ghost
An Officer and a Gentleman
Zodiac
Braveheart
Coach Carter
Forrest Gump
Grease
Save the Last Dance
School of Rock
Son of Paleface
Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie
Star Trek: First Contact
The Ultimate Star Trek Collection
Vanilla Sky

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blu-ray loss of announced releases:

There are 3 titles that were previously announced for BD that will now not be released on Blu-ray:

Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: The Original Series

In tital, that's a shift of around 60 titles altogether.

Many thanks to Kosty at AVS for compiling this information.

Steve W

Obvious question, but does this mean that no Star Trek will be released on BD?
Thats a bummer for the BD Star Trek fans, especially as Star Trek in HD is eagerly anticipated by a lot of fans.

To be honest the back catalogue of titles which are listed (thanks by the way), don't really hold much appeal for me.
I'm more interested in the likes of The Godfather trilogy, and future releases.

Possibly Braveheart and Shrek the third appeal though. (although the first 2 Shreks would be must buys)

I feel bad for those people who would like to have both formats but can't afford a second player so decided to opt for BR. I'd be gutted the other way around as there arent that many HD releases in general anyway so thats a blow. Roll on the dual format players.

To be honest the back catalogue of titles which are listed (thanks by the way), don't really hold much appeal for me.
I'm more interested in the likes of The Godfather trilogy, and future releases.

Possibly Braveheart and Shrek the third appeal though. (although the first 2 Shreks would be must buys)

I'm confused isn't Braveheart a Fox title? I've heard this in several places and was wondering. I'll pick it up if it is being released for sure :smashin:

BTW, as for titles available in the vaults.

Total titles: 28,023

Titles possibly available on both HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc: 6112 is 21.8%
Titles possibly available on HD DVD only: 10631 is 37.9%
Titles possibly available on Blu-ray Disc only: 11280 is 40.3%

In total:

Titles possibly available on HD DVD: 16743 is 59.7%
Titles possibly available on Blu-ray Disc: 17392 is 62.1%

I think that's what you call very, very close.

Please note, these are based on US distribution.

Due to Studio Canal, and the lack of regional coding on HD DVD, the likelehood is that HD DVD has a clear potential advantage for HD DVD.

Steve W

I'm confused isn't Braveheart a Fox title? I've heard this in several places and was wondering. I'll pick it up if it is being released for sure :smashin:

Your right, however Paramount are also both Distributor for the movie and also Produced (along with Fox).

the same is true for Titanic which is one that I am wanting (flame suit ready)

Paramount in the USA.

Fox in Europe.

So in Europe we'll have the option to buy the BD here or import the HD DVD.

In America they can buy the HD DVD or possibly import the BD, if it isn't regionally coded (though Fox are quite heavy on RC, as I understand it).

Whatever, importing a US HD DVD will probably by the cheapest option for us, and 'staying local' will certainly be the cheapest option if you're American.

Steve W

The switch got to my sister, she's just bought herself a Toshiba HD-E1,

primarily so she could watch "Top Gun" when it comes out :suicide:

She was going to get the Standard DVD as it's pretty cheap at the moment

but after watching some of my HD films (HD-DVD and blu ray) she decided

she wanted a high def version. She kept saying something about tighty

whities but I'd stopped listening by then.

Makes life as a dual format owner much easier. Now it's really only Warner titles that I need to um and ah over which format to get. ;)

Whats going to happen to all those HD-DVD only poeple when Fox just announced 30 odd titles exclusive to Blu-ray?

Seems to be alot of one sided posters at this forum. Too many closet HD-DVD fanboys I think.

I'm a hddvd owner and was about to go format neutral. I still will even after this announcement. I'm delighted by the news as a HD A1 owner, and what BD owners are now feeling is what we've (as in HDDVD only owners) been going through for the last 12 months, watching all those BD only releases coming out and being told we have hardware and software that would soon be obsolete, due to BD winning the war!

However that's not a malicious view on my part as I'm lucky enough to be able to reasonably afford a format neutral approach, but I did smirk a little at this announcement. With any luck all studios will see the light an go neutral!!

Whats going to happen to all those HD-DVD only poeple when Fox just announced 30 odd titles exclusive to Blu-ray?

I thim what you mean is "Whats going to happen to all those HD-DVD only poeple when Fox release 30 odd titles exclusive to Blu-ray?"

As we know, Fox announcements are hardly to be considered to be written in stone.

Seems to be alot of one sided posters at this forum. Too many closet HD-DVD fanboys I think.

It's difficult to see how anyone could possibly dress this one up as positive news for BD, so it's not really surprising if the posts look a little one-sided.

If you want to try to write a post titled "Paramount/Dreamworks Ditch Blu-ray Disc - The BDA and All BD Fans Rejoice" you can always try.

Please stop trying to turn this into a format war thread - it's an information providing thread.

Steve W

I dont see your point , i mean ok Fox announced 30 odd titles , but they are bluray exclusive anyway so theres no new story there.I mean what is the point of having fox if they dont release any content.The big deal here is that Paramount/DW titles were coming to bluray , and now they are not.

Err well Fox were also BD only- so it makes no difference at all.

People really are hard work

Am i missing something as i see no mention of Transformers in this thread.

What we need is a definitive list of films that Paramount do not have the distribution rights for in Europe i.e Braveheart, Face/Off etc.

At the moment I'd hazard a guess that any films that appear on the list on the first page the were distributed by a different company in the UK will still be available on BD in the UK.

So far as I can remember the following films were distibuted by another company in the UK.

Payback: Straight Up - The Director's Cut (Warner)
Sleepy Hollow (Studio Canal)
Face/Off (Buena Vista)
Braveheart (Fox)

Obvious question, but does this mean that no Star Trek will be released on BD?
Yeap, Star Trek will be HD DVD exclusive. Paramount have already announced Star Trek: The Original Series (Remastered) Season 1 for release in November - and a Star Trek: Movies boxset has also been strongly rumoured.

It'll be interesting to see sales of the Star Trek: The Original Series (Remastered) Season 1 boxset - it's quite expensive (around £90) so some will be put off - but it is also the only release of the new remastered/remade epsiodes. Ergo all those who want the series on DVD or HD DVD will buy it potentially making it a bestseller for HD DVD. It could give a significant profile hike for the format... :thumbsup:

Paramount are working on remastered/reworked editions of Star Trek: The Next Generation as well - so HD DVD owners really stuff to look forward to over the upcoming years.

Face/Off is Buena Vista in the UK you can order it HERE. No loss at all.

But I invariably find that importing US discs is cheaper than buying UK ones.

Example - cheapest at Amazon Marketplace (Amazon UK):

The Bourne Supremacy (UK version) £14.85
The Bourne Supremacy (US version) £11.88

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...1869066-5792458?ie=UTF8&qid=1187968706&sr=1-1
US: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...1869066-5792458?ie=UTF8&qid=1187968706&sr=1-2

This is a format-neutral point, it's usually the same with BDs. What shall I choose as an example?

Face/Off (UK version) £20.24
Face/Off (US version) US List Price = $29.95 - typical Amazon reduced price for $29.95 BDs is $19.95 = c.£10.

So, a US HD DVD for £10 (BD would have been the same), or a UK BD for £20?

Can I get back to you on that one?

Steve W

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
At the moment I'd hazard a guess that any films that appear on the list on the first page the were distributed by a different company in the UK will still be available on BD in the UK.

Sleepy Hollow (Studio Canal)
Just for your info Studio Canal are HD DVD exclusive.

Am i missing something as i see no mention of Transformers in this thread.
No you haven't missed anything - Paramount stated in their press release about going exclusive that Transformers would be released on HD DVD "this Autumn". Whether it was ever planned for BluRay though is unknown - hence why it doesn't appear in the list.

As a PS3 owner, this does not affect me in that it will not convert me to HD-DVD any more than it would have done. Anything I would have watched on Blu Ray I will if I cna get hold of it. If I can't, I'll get it on DVD for much cheapness and get my PS3 to upscale. I'm certainyl not going to buy a HD-DVD player until Blu Ray is dead.

No you haven't missed anything - Paramount stated in their press release about going exclusive that Transformers would be released on HD DVD "this Autumn". Whether it was ever planned for BluRay though is unknown - hence why it doesn't appear in the list.

Ok that makes sence. :)

Plenty of retailers where taking pre-orders for the BR release of transformers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom