Paramount and Dreamworks offer exclusive support to HD DVD

Tech News

Reaction score
In a move that would have surprised the Hollywood Blu-team, both Paramount Pictures and Dreamworks SKG have confirmed that they will now support only HD DVD on a worldwide basis.Paramount says it will release HD DVD day and date with DVD, going forward. The studio previously said it would issue HD software in both [...]
More...

I don't think this will have any effect on the format war. It hasn't convinced me of anything except that I shall be buying samsung's dual format doo-hickey when it comes out in the UK. I want to enjoy films from both camps. I need ther blu-ray player for spider-man etc. But I need HD-DVD for universal and paramount films. I don't want to have to fork out for two machines so the play everything machine is the only solution for me...

Its a bad move, as far as promoting the acceptance of HD-DVD or Blu-ray and will only slowdown the take up.

a very bizarre move:eek:
only recently 300 outsold on Bluray by at least 2:1.
Doesn't make business sense

"Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD DVD" "The two studios may have left themselves wiggle room, however. Paramount’s agreement to use only HD DVD is limited to only 18 months." Source - NY Times

Doubt they would have made anywhere near that much profit from BR sales in 18 months, it makes perfect business sense!

Its a bad move, as far as promoting the acceptance of HD-DVD or Blu-ray and will only slowdown the take up.

Exactly, thus far I've been holding off getting on the early adopter's bandwagon. However recently I had started to feel that it was time to dip my toe in the HD market. This announcement however, coupled with Denon's announcement that they are now postponing their release of the DVD-3800BD until Q2 next year has once again given me a bad case of cold feet. I've been through the VHS/Beta war, and I wasted money on the Laser Disc format only to see that disappear into the ether. Well not again, until we get a clearer picture of which way this so called format war is going to end, I'll invest my hard earned cash with good old DVD for the time being.

Recently I was able to borrow a friend's Denon DVD 3930 which I fed into my Metz Milos 37s LCD TV, to say that I was seriously impressed would be an understatement. At the time I couldn't justify the price tag. With hindsight though, I'd rather invest in a top shelf DVD player than an early generation HD DVD or Blu ray player and all the associated problems that come with a format(s) that is still in it's infancy.

Exactly, thus far I've been holding off getting on the early adopter's bandwagon. However recently I had started to feel that it was time to dip my toe in the HD market. This announcement however, coupled with Denon's announcement that they are now postponing their release of the DVD-3800BD until Q2 next year has once again given me a bad case of cold feet. I've been through the VHS/Beta war, and I wasted money on the Laser Disc format only to see that disappear into the ether. Well not again, until we get a clearer picture of which way this so called format war is going to end, I'll invest my hard earned cash with good old DVD for the time being.

Recently I was able to borrow a friend's Denon DVD 3930 which I fed into my Metz Milos 37s LCD TV, to say that I was seriously impressed would be an understatement. At the time I couldn't justify the price tag. With hindsight though, I'd rather invest in a top shelf DVD player than an early generation HD DVD or Blu ray player and all the associated problems that come with a format(s) that is still in it's infancy.

Best comment i've read from all the one's posted about this thorny subject, got the Arcam DV139 and Sky HD was going to get a HD player but borrowed the Tosh XE1 and thought what a load of rubbish for £500 stick to good ol upscaled DVD and save my money.

Best comment i've read from all the one's posted about this thorny subject, got the Arcam DV139 and Sky HD was going to get a HD player but borrowed the Tosh XE1 and thought what a load of rubbish for £500 stick to good ol upscaled DVD and save my money.

But the XE1 is a decent upscaler is it not with a good HD-DVD abilities as a bonus.

For the price of an Arcam DV139 I got SkyHD, Samsung Blu-ray player, Toshiba HD-DVD player, Xbox 360 and could get a PS3 and still have plenty of change left. I can play all SD and HD optical media making the format war non-existant.

I don't doubt that the Arcam DV139 is good but is it 3-4 times better than the XE1 at upscaling (also taking into account how restricted you are to other media).

Doesn't make business sense
It makes alot of business sense:

1) Attach rates for HD DVD are clearly higher than for BluRay. As much as BluRay hardware (thanks to the PS3) greatly outnumbers HD DVD 300 demonstrated that BD could only command twice as many sales. Statistics like that talk.

2) HD DVD players are fast reaching the 'mass adoption' figure of US$200.

3) By concentrating on one format Paramount can increase their output.

4) Paramount have an established working relationship with the DVD Forum - since 1996 and the arrival of DVD. HD DVD is an official format of that forum and Paramount are obviously comformatable working with them. The finalised spec of HD DVD has cited as proof of this - Paramount are obviously a little twitchy about ongoing changes to specs.

5) Paramount want to start using internet features and enhanced features. At present HD DVD can support these, BluRay can't.

...all in all then Paramount's move makes a fair bit of sense.

As for the news itself - I think it is fantastic news. For dual format owners this is great - it has incited Fox to start releases again. And anyone who isn't dual format only really has themselves to blame.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom