• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Paramount and Dreamworks going HD-DVD exclusive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Distinguished Member
LOS ANGELES - Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG announced Monday that they will offer next-generation DVDs in the HD DVD format rather than Blu-ray, a move that further complicates the race between the competing technologies.

The move by the two studios will include the upcoming blockbuster "Shrek the Third" and all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

"Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience," said Brad Grey, chairman and chief executive of Paramount Pictures. "I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

The competition between Blu-ray and HD DVD has kept confused consumers from rushing to buy new DVD players until they can determine which format will dominate the market.

Studios and retailers have been choosing sides.
"Spider-Man 3" will only be available in the Blu-ray DVD format when it is released by Sony Pictures.

Likewise, people with Blu-ray players won't be able to enjoy the action-thriller "The Bourne Ultimatum," which Universal Pictures will release only in HD DVD.

BadAss

Banned
Heres the link.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.c...grab-or-intensified-blu-rayhd-dvd-format-war/

Make of it what you will, i'll be first to cry BS though. :D

The crutch off this article is the HD-DVD group has paid off Paramount/Dreamworks $150,000,000 in total to secure future support. By that I take it neutrality.

Sources tell me that Paramount, which has been publishing on both Blu-ray and HD DVD, will receive $50 million to continue publishing in HD. "The deal is that anything they release on Blu-ray, they'll have to release in HD," a source told me. In addition, the studio will give the HD format exclusivity for some older titles in its catalogue.

But the $100 million from HD-DVD for DreamWorks Animation is a huge $$$ infusion for that still struggling public company.

TarMoo

BadAss

Banned
That links dead.

BadAss

Banned
As much as I hate to say it's true.

(I would love what's going on behind the scenes in all of this!)

Thats's what they said about Walmart. :rotfl:

Jeff

Distinguished Member
Transformers vs Spiderman :D

TarPot

Transfomers is going to be awesome.

But this is strange news. I'd have expected exclusive Studios to go format neutral, not neutral studios to go exclusive.

Great news for HD-DVD owners though.

Jeff

Distinguished Member
What I am gonna do now?!!

I am seriously thinking about boycotting everything!! Or maybe just rent!

Just but an HD-DVD player, they are so cheap. :thumbsup:

Spidey987

HD DVD really does have the pick of the best Summer blockbusters now, unless FOX can get their act together and give Blu-ray a boost.

R

Red-VIII

That has put the Cat among the Pigeons!!! :eek:

Great news for HD DVD though :D

Everybody has been critisizing Toshiba for not pushing HD DVD enougth but it looks like there has been allot of work going on behind the scenes. So a big thumb goes up to all those people who made this deal happen :smashin:

BadAss

Banned
Oh well HD just went Niche. :rotfl:

What worries me most is what WB do next. If they go HD-DVD exclusive which I think they will, everything will be back to square one.

You can bet on $250 BD players by Christmas.

Here is the official word from Viacom.

http://www.viacom.com/NEWS/NewsText.aspx?RID=1042073

Starburst

Distinguished Member
A bit of a surprise but it does push back the very real need (until a few minutes) ago of going dual format within a year.
Lets hope the software "war" forces the hardware side to be even more aggressive, I certainly believe neither format's standalone players would be falling in price so fast if it wasn't for the other on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom