1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parametric EQ - is it necessary?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by quern, Jan 4, 2005.

1. quern

Standard Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hello all: *Please note I also posted this in the Arcam forum*

Lately I've been debating between purchasing an AVR-300 and a Sherwood Newcastle R-965. While both have been very favorably reviewed, the AVR-300 seems to have received the better (in fact glowing) review in The Perfect Vision mag. So I have basically determined that I would rather purchase the Arcam unit - not only for the review and listening to it in the store - but also for Arcam's build quality, customer service and level of musicality built in all their units. So the one question that still has me on the ledge peering over, is in regards to Parametric EQ's. I understand that the Arcam unit has seperate Bass/Trebel controls for all 7 channels... but I don't know if this functions in the same manner as a parametric eq. At the same time, even thought the SN doesn't have a parametric eq, it has been relayed to all in avsforum that this is in development and will be an software upgrade sometime this year.

So I'd like to find out what you all think of parametric eq's. Do they help that much better - or should I not worry about adding this to my equation and just purchase the Arcam unit?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup: