1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parametric Eq - how important is it?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by quern, Jan 4, 2005.

1. quern

quern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all:

Lately I've been debating between purchasing an AVR-300 and a Sherwood Newcastle R-965. While both have been very favorably reviewed, the AVR-300 seems to have received the better (in fact glowing) review in The Perfect Vision mag. So I have basically determined that I would rather purchase the Arcam unit - not only for the review and listening to it in the store - but also for Arcam's build quality, customer service and level of musicality built in all their units. So the one question that still has me on the ledge peering over, is in regards to Parametric EQ's. I understand that the Arcam unit has seperate Bass/Trebel controls for all 7 channels... but I don't know if this functions in the same manner as a parametric eq. At the same time, even thought the SN doesn't have a parametric eq, it has been relayed to all in avsforum that this is in development and will be an software upgrade sometime this year.

So I'd like to find out what you all think of parametric eq's. Do they help that much better - or should I not worry about adding this to my equation and just purchase the Arcam unit?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Jerry

2. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AVR300 is a fantastic sounding amp for a home cinema receiver and provides a lovely smooth balanced sound without resorting to tweaking the bass aor treble controls. In stereo with the "Direct" button on, therefore bypassing the tone controls completely, the sound is a big step up from my old Alpha8/8P combination.

IMHO forget tone controls and buy the AVR300 with confidence, tone controls and equalisers just degrade the sound quality.

3. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with Remboy, I used to be forever fiddling with tone and eq settings to get what I felt to be the "right sound" until I got my AVR300 that is - I never touch the tome controls now - whether in stereo direct (which is amazing) or any processed setting - the AVR 300 just sounds great! even through my less than adequate Eltax fronts - one suggestion, If possible, use the bi-amping feature of the 300 on your fronts - this gave my sound yet another step up in clarity and musicality

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Even using my SPL meter on the white noise bursts I have always found my ears seem to react differently to real sounds...
    So I say buy an SPL meter for basic setup and go from there.
    Personal findings:
    a) SACD often a bit low on rears, +2dB won't hurt
    b) DTS overpowering rears, -3dB
    c) DD no changes
    d) DVDA no changes

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree. Too many people think that a SPL-measured setting is the final word. I use a SPL to do an initial setup and then salt & pepper to taste. On my system, once I've set levels with the SPL I need to lower the left surrounds an additional 2 db and raise the right surrounds about 1db to get the right balance. This because my left wall has no openings and a highly reflective mirror while my right wall opens to a foyer and dining room. The SPL isn't affected by it the way real audio content is.

Dean

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Theres a massive difference between proper Parametric EQ and the sort of crude tone controls found on mid range AV amplifiers with automatic set up etc. A proper parametric EQ system such as TMREQ can transform the sound of your system by removing all the unwanted peaks from your frequency response :lesson: . This results in a far more controlled sound with no excess flab in the bass department allowing you to listen to material much closer to reference levels without bass dominating everything and becoming fatiguing. If implemented properly a parametric EQ system is one of the most important tools in creating an accurate soundfield where HC is concerned :smashin: Go for the Arcam :thumbsup:

7. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Would you adjust each channel simply by using your ears or are there other (more scientific) ways of doing this?

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    When callibrating using the TMREQ system you use a Real time analyzer program with a PC and sound level meter. The one that I used was the one from ETF acoustic available at etfacoustic.com :thumbsup: I used this as it works in conjunction with Tags TMREQ wizard software. But there are several on the market which are good :)

9. quern

quern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thunder:

This is what I thought a good parametric eq can do for my system. The issue I have is that currently the Arcam AVR-300 unit doesn't seem to employ a Parametric EQ in the receiver, just simple bass and treble sliders for each channel. I would love to hear that Arcam will have a future software upgrade that would provide this... In the mean time, though... I'm debating between going for the very musical Arcam and a Sherwood Newcastle unit that is also great (but maybe not as good as the Arcam) which will have a parametric eq added as a software upgrade in the near future. This upgrade decision is killing me. :)

Anyone have any ideas of the AVR-300 will also be upgradeable to the new DD+ and DTS++ formats for the new HD-DVD and Blueray DVD players that will be out in the future (does the AVR-300 have the memory available to accept a software upgrade that will process these new formats when they come out)?

Once again, Thanks everyone for your help! The more I read the closer I am to opening my pocketbook and buying the Arcam!

Jerry

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Im affraid no component is future proof. And if you keep waiting for new technologies you will probably never buy anything :) I would doubt that the quality of the parametric EQ system on the Sherwood would be anything to write home about. There are no products on the market at the moment below the 3K mark that employ comprehensive EQ programs. I would buy the Arcam as the amplification section will be of superior quality to the Sherwood and if your concerned about EQ buy a BFD for your sub as this is the channel that suffers most from frequency response faults :smashin:

11. quern

quern
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks Thunder and everyone else who has posted. I think the Arcam will be in my home in about 1 week!

Cheers.

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You won't regret it, still love it after I tried many.

13. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Errr...what's a BFD?
    Cheers

14. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It's a Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Info Here.