Parallels Desktop

V

vr360homes

I am just got my new imac and have loaded on parallels with vista and everything is working fine except I can't get vista to access the internet via my ethernet connection.

I have tried everything in the user manual and on the parallels web site and still no joy, any help would be appericated.

Cheers

Lee

BoomAM

Standard Member
Is OSX blocking Paralells?
And is paralells set to forward the ethernet requests from the VM to your actual ethernet port?

V

vr360homes

Not sure if it is blocking parallels I am new to this so if you can explain how I can check this that would be great.

Cheers Lee

jont

Happens to mine every now and then ... You might find that parallels isn't connecting to your ethernet connection within the mac ... there is a little icon on the bottom right of the parallels screen that will give the current network connections - click on that and change it to whichever you use ethernet/airport and it should be OK ...

hope that helps/works

Jon

muzzi

while on the subject of Parallels, when i plug in a USB flash drive and connect it to my XP VM, no power is sent to the USB port to drive the usb stick.

as soon as i release the flash drive from the VM, the stick gets power and appears on the mac desktop as normal.

Does anybody have any idea why?

thanks

Muzzi

PS. for the record i have version 3 of Parallels Desktop if this will make any differance

V

vr360homes

Happens to mine every now and then ... You might find that parallels isn't connecting to your ethernet connection within the mac ... there is a little icon on the bottom right of the parallels screen that will give the current network connections - click on that and change it to whichever you use ethernet/airport and it should be OK ...

hope that helps/works

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the help but that didn't work either. it says connected when I mouse over the little icon in the bottom right corner of parallels but when I open IE nothing happens.

Cheers

Lee

muzzi

Have you changed the settings so that you can share the internet connectivity with the mac?

Close down you VM, and in Parallels under one of the headings, it says 'virtual machine' or something similar.

Click on this and a box will apear showing your preferences for stuff like memory allocation etc. Near the bottom is one for internet connectivity. This may be the long-winded version of what Jont mentioned above, but it is maybe worth a go.

Muzzi

py6km

I've had a similar problem int he past. Have you installed the Parallels Tools? If not, then do that. Try shutting down Vista, and restarting Parallels - that fixes it for me. But random, as I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but installing the Tools, and restarting everything if necessary worked for me.

while on the subject of Parallels, when i plug in a USB flash drive and connect it to my XP VM, no power is sent to the USB port to drive the usb stick.

as soon as i release the flash drive from the VM, the stick gets power and appears on the mac desktop as normal.

Does anybody have any idea why?

thanks

Muzzi

PS. for the record i have version 3 of Parallels Desktop if this will make any differance

In windows it is quite normal not to even provide power through USB when there is no driver for the device...

V

vr360homes

I've had a similar problem int he past. Have you installed the Parallels Tools? If not, then do that. Try shutting down Vista, and restarting Parallels - that fixes it for me. But random, as I couldn't figure out what the problem was, but installing the Tools, and restarting everything if necessary worked for me.

You were correct I hadn't installed the parallels tools, so all working perfect now. The only weird thing I have found is that when using the new imac keyboard in parallels with vista the @ key isn't where it's meant to be which is under the 2 key, you have to use shift + the comma key which is by enter.

Very strange.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Lee

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom