1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm vs. SVS: Help me choose!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jeff-o, May 31, 2004.

1. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far, I've narrowed my choices to two models, but I'm willing to add another if it compares:

SVS PCi 25-31 for $549 USD + $100 USD shipping and brokerage + 7% tax

Paradigm PW-2100 v.2 for $750 CDN ($500 US) + 15% tax

These are the specs:

The SVS is a 12" cylinder-style sub with a built-in 320W Class-D amplifier. It is tuned to 25 Hz. It has a THD+N of only 0.01%. Every review I've read has been glowing.

The Paradigm is a 10" front-firing sub with a built-in 400W Class-D amp. It is tuned to 23 Hz. It has a THD+N of 0.1%. Reviews for this sub are equally good.

Now, I think I'd snap up the SVS in a wink if it weren't for the cost of getting it over the border. I tend to put a nasty mind-job on myself, so that if I find something I like I'm not happy until I get it. If anything, at least try to convince me that the Paradigm will make me happy!

The sub would be joining a Paradigm 5se mains, Paradigm ATOM rears, and an Angstrom A208 centre channel. All of these are hooked up to a Marantz SR5400 receiver. I think I would prefer music performance (stuff like Led Zeppelin, Rush and the Rolling Stones) over movies, but good performance in both would be nice.

Oh, this will also be my first sub, and I want it to last! Thanks for the help.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are many happy SVS users on this forum but the 25-30 PCi seems to be a rarity here. Rob Screene has one that he reviewed here

Stellavision also had one so if you search the forum for SVS posts by him you will read more positive views.

I have never heard of the Paradigm 2100 and am not sure whether it is sold in UK so can't help you there.

3. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I was hesitant to even ask about Paradigm subs on this forum because of some other posts I read. I guess Paradigm stuff is getting harder to find in the UK for whatever reason... Anyway, the PW-2100 is just like the PW-2200 (which you'll find mentioned in the subs forum), only with a 10" driver instead of a 12".

I'm not expecting anyone to have used both these models, but any bit of info that would help me make a decision would be appreciated.

Heh, Paradigm is easy to find in Canada, the headquarters are less than 100 km from where I live!

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Paradigm are in a curious position over here as the sole distribution rights are held by a retail group that don't seem too interested in pushing the product. The PDR subs were very good and popular at the lower end of the budget whilst the Servo 15 has a fanatical following but doesn't seem to be available any more.

Unfortunately it seems that only one or two have tried the 2200 but hopefully one of them will spot this thread and contribute.

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Jeff-o

Ian is right, I did have a 25-31 PCi which I sold to Rob Screene on the forum classifieds.
    You can read some of my thoughts from purchasing it to setting it up HERE

I still beleive it to be an excellent subwoofer and would reccommend one to anyone.

6. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I went ahead and bought the Paradigm PW-2100 yesterday. I chose it over the SVS for a number of reasons:

1. I did not get any reasons compelling enough for me to choose the SVS over the Paradigm (Based on posts in two other forums as well).

2. It's $100 cheaper.

3. Less hassle with shipping, duty, taxes and other import charges.

4. It's from a Canadian company, so I'm supporting my local economy.

5. I didn't have to wait to get it.

I haven't hooked it up yet, but I'll let you all know what it's like before and after it breaks in.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That is an interesting point that may or may not be true as many products are not actually made in the country of the "label"

There is a large speaker manufacturer in Taiwan that claims both American Velodyne and British REL amongst it's major customers and most of the long established British names are now manufactured in the Far East.

I used to have some Scottish Tannoy speakers that were actually made in Eastern Europe.

Still the Paradigm 2100 is a new one on us Brits so it will be interesting to hear your views.

8. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you visit Paradigm's website at www.paradigm.ca , you'll see that everything is manufactured in-house. They specifically mention that the only speakers they outsource are some tweeters in one of their budget-priced speakers.

Building everything in-house allows Paradigm to maintain a tight hold on quality, which is a very important thing. Heck, SVS outsources both their drivers AND the amplifiers. The drivers are still made in the USA, but the amplifiers are made in Canada!

9. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I curently have a 2200 and have at one time or another heard all of the paradigm pdr,ps-pw-sub's.

I actualy chose the pw2200 over the servo 15. I demo'd both of these units in my home, and for the room size and position the 2200 had more control and was a bit faster.
    I'm not saying the 2200 is better than the servo 15 but works better for me.
    I only heard the 2100 in store and from what i could tell it's idedntical to the 2200 but with a smaller driver.
    The listing conditions wern't perfect, but it did sound good. Smaller and not as deep as the s15,2200 but still has enough slam to presurise a small to adv sized room.

If your trying to save space, money or the disapointment of a rel, eltax, tannoy or mission then it well worth it.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    SVS really don't need me to defend them. They deliberately source their drivers and amps from the best North American manufacturers. (chosen for their engineering skills, repeatable high quality and expertise) They also hope to retain local manufacturing jobs.

SVS spend a long time perfecting their individual components with the help of these OEM producers before putting them into a particular subwoofer model. The Ultra driver is probably recognised as one of the finest 12" subwoofer drive units available by those who know about such things. The SVS 'Bash' amps must have proved remarkably reliable. Or we'd be hearing all about it on the AV fora worldwide! An SV Sub does what it says on the tin and just keeps on doing it at a remarkable price.

Paradigm and SVS are not football teams! They are manufacturers of consumer products. Though product loyalty is commonplace nobody should get heated over one manufacturer over another. Even more silly would be to try and score points for "in house" manufacturing against OEM. As if quality control was dependant in any way on the site of manufacture. Pay enough and the Chinese will happily make you 'state of the art' 24 x 365!

It always comes down to performance offered for the price being asked. The rest is just advertising. Strangely SVS never seem to have needed much of the latter. I think we can all guess why. Their cylinder subs keep rolling off the SVS assembly plant shelves all by themselves. ;)

Nimby

11. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, the 2100 and 2200 are almost identical. They have the exact same amplifier (400W, etc.), but the 2200 has a 12" driver with a bigger magnet. The 2200 is also nearly twice the volume of the 2100, and is tuned 5 Hz lower.