1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

paradigm subs mains lead

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stranger, Jun 6, 2002.

1. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a tip , if you haven't already done it. the leads that richer sounds give with these subs are computer power leads, change them for a kettle lead or make up your own, i used 2.5mm square. ring main lead, its made a big improvement.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I agree with Ken, I use RA Yellow on mine, made a significant improvement.

3. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice tip, I'm about to buy the PS-1000. Were you bewing serious about a kettle lead being better than a computer one? It just doesn't seem right..

4. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kettle leads are rated for 3000watts plus, computer power leads are in the hundreds- r/s probably in the lower hundreds. the quality is nowhere near good enough for subs or any other hi-fi h/c gear.

5. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you buy good power leads cheaply, cos i havent got any spare kettle leads!

6. iron-man

iron-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    russ andrews make various mains lead,the yellow being the one to go for . www.russandrews.com

7. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for that tip stranger, I have just ordered a yellow lead from www.russandrews.com for my dvd player.

Where can i get a 'cheaper' kettle lead for my paradigm sub ?

I am guessing electrical retailers will sell these leads ? But what rating am i looking for ?

cheers

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any mains kettle lead will be up to the job all are rated to 2-3000watts and above.

9. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Cheers for the tip !

But how far should i take this new lead upgrade ?

according to http://www.russandrews.com/ i should upgrade my extension block and all my leads ?

Thats gonna cost me a fortune !

What is a more realistic approach, i have ordered a yello power lead for my dvd player, which it says is the priority upgrade...
    is it really worth me upgrading every other power lead ?

cheers

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your kit is several thousand pounds worth you may notice the difference but if you live in the realms of the ordinary mortal the only difference that you will notice will be in your bank balance.

11. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my sugestion was kettle lead or home made-improvement at low cost.

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with your suggestion although I haven't tried it myself.

Jonnyv was referring to the Russ Andrews web site and you could end up paying more for mains cleaners etc than for the equipment it is providing "clean electricity" for.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Jon

I have yellows, standard power cords and high current ones. I have found their performance VERY variable according to the both the quality of the power and how well designed the power supply is. This is NO reflection on RA. On Tag equipment I notice no difference. It has VERY well designed Power supplies. On other equipment I notice subtle but important differences. I feel it a good gauge of the quality of engineering used.

Quality of power (lumps and all) is very variable. Mine was okay in old house, unsure about here yet. I have seen some terrible ones. If you have good quality power then they will make little or no difference. Poor power and they really come into their own. The only way to find out is to try. RA offers a refund if not entirely satisfied. Can’t say fairer than that? Returned cables get sold in shop. There aren’t too many and a large team selling these on the phone. I think that speaks volumes. [Most from upgrading not from not working].

All three use the excellent ‘Kimber weave’. RFI rejection and all that. The standard lead uses slightly better copper than the Yellow. The high current one doubles up on connectors (lower R) than the standard (and the Yellow). I am never ‘convinced’ with my ‘engineers hat’ on that the difference between the yellow copper quality and the standard makes much difference. The standard does use much better components however. There might be a case for lower R with the HC version with massive power amps [bass issues etc]. It can be fitted with some seriously good plugs at silly money. I can’t honestly say I have noticed a difference but they look good. It doesn’t stop me buying them.

The yellow quality is pretty decent and cost just £25 / 1m. It is ‘trade’able in’ against better quality ones at a later date if you want to. I think the Yellow is excellent. It works best on ‘digital’ equipment (as do all the cords not power amps). I notice excellent results with subs and video projectors as well (clearer signal with panel projectors certainly). There would be some engineering reasons for throwing a high current at the sub but frankly I don’t think it worth it. I like the Yellow. In fact Kimber is best at this part of the range (bottom, PJB interconnect, TC and VS speaker cable and Yellow power). I remain less convinced that the higher models offer HUGE improvements for the very significant outlay. Perhaps people have more money than me, actually I am sure of that! Kimber cables generally deal with RFI issues etc, other cables try and throw shielding / low R to the fore. There is a difference. Bare that in mind. Kimber deals with polluting RFI, other might not but they might have lower R (for better bass).

Are all the mains stuff worth the outlay. Yes they could be if you have a problem, else think of it as insurance. They do no harm and can be beneficial. Hell it is only £25 delivered. If it doesn’t work for you return it. Frankly you get so much for the Yellow that the majority of the ‘work’ is done with the basic range. The ‘mains sniffer’ that RA rent is brilliant fun and £10 well spent. Try other houses / locations to gauge it’s effectiveness.

The only way is to suck it and see. RA is a bit OTT with his claims for the high-end ranges, but the best is the basic Kimber stuff. I love the PJB, TC and Yellow cable. Not silly money either. What I call good honest cable and I struggle to see the benefits of paying more (yes I do have examples here to test, loads and loads and loads). Do It bit by bit and see how you get on. When you stop noticing a difference, stop but don’t forget there may NOT be a difference if you have decent mains or well designed power supplies (rare by the way!)

HCPC are also worth slinging on Yellow. I use 3m Yellows as they are benefits over 1m ones and it makes all the ‘playing’ I do so much easier. I get fed up with short cables. I like long cables, they are so much easier to use. Russ likes that, it pays for his summer holidays!

DIY is a better and cheaper option if you are so inclined. TNT Snake is an excellent design. Most aren’t so inclined however. Screened cables are excellent option / alternative to Kimber weave but are un-common. Difficult to get in small quantities unless you pay silly Supra money.

Let us know how you get on.

You can never have enough cable.

hope this answers your PM

14. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to add abit to what nic has found re ra i live in an area made up of dense housing mixed with industrial sites. i have graduallybuilt up to yellows on all my gear except the subs plus a high current which i won in an ra competition. every one has made a big difference probably because my mains is heavily polluted. the pbj is just an absolute bargain. i also use 8 vs skr. cable which i find good value too.

15. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not venture into the power cable upgrade yet, however, for what it is worth, try cleaning all exposed metal parts with a metal cleaner/polish to remove the tarnish and see if that improve things. TURN OFF REMOVE FROM MAINS FIRST, If you can notice that then bettercables are for you.

Try even running a dedicated ring for the AV equipment before the consumer board.

Nathan

16. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did both of these things first and it's good advice for anyone , it "can" be as good as a decent upgrade in some cases.

17. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks for all your help, especially nic...cheers

I think im going to stick with the 1 yello power lead for my toshiba 900e dvd player and use a kettle lead on my sub...

maybe even use the power lead that came with the dvd player on the sub...

cheers

18. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just wondering, anyone know if u can buy kettle leads really cheaply from Dixons etc?

19. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I didnt have any luck at comet or powerhouse, ended up getting one from a independant retailer..sells washing machines and stuff like that...

I have a question about the lead i have bought...

on comparing the 2 leads the only difference i can see is the fuse in the kettle lead is 13amp and the one supplied with my sub has a 5 amp fuse.. they both say 10 amps on them...

So whats the difference ??

cheers

20. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask what you all mean by "big improvement".
    I have a paradigm servo-15 and i get intermitant humming noises from it, lasting between 10 and 30 seconds when the unit is on but not producing bass.
    Will changing leads stop this or are you talking about something else?

21. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the lead given free at r/s is not good enough, a kettle lead will let more current through when your sub needs it. won't cure the hum but a lot of subs do this when idling on st/by don' worry about it unless it becomes obtrusive.

p.s. if you want to sell your servo please let me know- mine is beginning to look lonely on its own:)