Paradigm Sub owners thread

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey all,
Just curious as to people's experiences with Paradigm subs. I know Rock Danger has a Sub1 and we are really impressed with the new Sub 15,especially how such a compact unit can go so low.

Your views and experiences welcome

Last edited:
My experience of Paradigm subs is pretty limited. Owned a Servo 15 back in the day which was excellent and still have a PS1000 sitting in the garage not being used.

Look forward to hearing their later subs as they're on my upgrade hit-list.

Jase said:
My experience of Paradigm subs is pretty limited. Owned a Servo 15 back in the day which was excellent and still have a PS1000 sitting in the garage not being used.

Look forward to hearing their later subs as they're on my upgrade hit-list.

Hi Jase,
I'm still running it in. I have run PBK and also ARC but will re EQ after more use.

So far very impressed. It's given me that thwack in the chest that I have been missing since parting with my M&K Subs years ago.

It goes deep as well. So far so good.

Nothing like a proper chest thumper to liven things up. How do you find the PBK?

I have previously been using ARC on my Anthem MRX 300 so if I'm honest I'm not sure how much of an improvement the PBK is on its own as ARC is in use. Talking to dealers they have all said use the PBK as it will compliment ARC as it has more filters at a higher resolution. The difference between pre EQ and post EQ is huge in my room.

I have the sub1 as Rich mentioned, it kicks serious ass and is also awarded reference status by AVF's Russ W in his review. Before that I had the sub 15 which was also pretty awesome - the sub 1, however brings more to the table but then again it's over a grand more in price.

There only is about 3 makes of sub worth a look in at the high end right now, of which are Paradigm, Velodyne and KK. JL could bring something nice to the table which are due here soon. I used to have their car stuff and it was excellent, so they'd definitely be worth a look in - but for me with the sub 1 with it's PBK was the best choice for me.

I'd add another but I don't need it (as much as I've tried to convince myself that I do) and wouldn't get £4.5k or anywhere close worth of sound back and I like it loud, trust me. It is the best sub I've heard to date hands down and as a side bonus it looks really nice too.

How they managed to squeeze all that thwack! in one little hexagonal style cab is beyond me - but that's the Canadians for you.

click my sig for pics.

I'm not familiar with ARC or PBK but use (and have used) other EQ systems so know how much of a difference they can make. Sounds like you're very pleased with the end results!

I have to admit I'm drawn to the Sub1 as I'm intrigued by it's design. It also looks a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

I have to admit I'm drawn to the Sub1 as I'm intrigued by it's design. It also looks a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

It'll blow your head right off, make no mistake. I was a little concerned too as you do hear the constant mantra of bigger drivers, lower bass etc etc - but in this particular case it doesn't seem to apply and I'm basing that on bigger sealed and ported sub models that have been in this room.

The Sub 1 I heard at HCC was excellent. It sounded as tight/accurate as any sub I've heard, went very loud without any sign of strain and effortlessly flapped my trousers. I didn't get the thwack in the chest I was after though. Perhaps I need a Sub 2. :devil:

Does the PBK allow you to manually EQ like the Velodyne DD/DD+ series or is automated like Audyssey?

The Sub 1 I heard at HCC was excellent. It sounded as tight/accurate as any sub I've heard, went very loud without any sign of strain and effortlessly flapped my trousers. I didn't get the thwack in the chest I was after though. Perhaps I need a Sub 2. :devil:

Perhaps.. that's a lot of sub tho, the HCC dem room isn't drastically different to mine, I get plenty of thumping action and it's honestly why I can't justify two of them.

JL Gotham perhaps?

Does the PBK allow you to manually EQ like the Velodyne DD/DD+ series or is automated like Audyssey?

Nope, it's automated it tries to hit a target curve by boosting and cutting, it's pretty powerful as you need to run it from a laptop and is noted as one of the best EQ systems around.

saguk1234 said:
Which is the "better" sub. The Sub 1 or Sub 25?

The sub 1. Although there are advantages from both the sub 1 comes out best all round.

I was told the sub 25 is marginally better, both have their distinct advantages I suppose. I was planning on buying the sub 2 but I have no space for it..

I was told the sub 25 is marginally better, both have their distinct advantages I suppose. I was planning on buying the sub 2 but I have no space for it..

Nah, it'll go a bit lower if you class that as better? But the sub1 goes low enough to where anything lower doesn't matter so much. The sub 1 has a better throw and cut time, I think it's just all round better.

I firmly believe that the sub 2 is probably in the top 3 subs in the world, I would love one, I just don't have sub 2 money - gotta say tho very pleased with the sub 1 - but at this level from the reputable brands, you're really just buying your favourite flavour.

Rock Danger said:
Nah, it'll go a bit lower if you class that as better? But the sub1 goes low enough to where anything lower doesn't matter so much. The sub 1 has a better throw and cut time, I think it's just all round better.

I firmly believe that the sub 2 is probably in the top 3 subs in the world, I would love one, I just don't have sub 2 money - gotta say tho very pleased with the sub 1 - but at this level from the reputable brands, you're really just buying your favourite flavour.

What does throw and cut time mean?

What does throw and cut time mean?

Oh it's just quasi technical / half made up mumbo jumbo. Throw just means how long or short a distance the speaker/ cab projects sound and cut time is just attack and delay time across the low end frequencies.

Someone could explain it a lot better than me, but then I could take you into a venue, mic up a drum kit with a bass drum sound that would stop your heart.

People often refer to a sub sounding 'fast' because it has very good attack or they call it 'punchy' - but really what you're hearing, or want to hear is sub bass at very low distortion levels, that is what makes a good sub and something Paradigm do very well.

Too many people think that giant WUBB WUBBB WUBB'ing in their system is correct, when most of the time it's their sub being over driven or it's gain set to high or just a crap sub of which there are many.

Have you compared both in your room? That throw and cut time stuff really is mumbo jumbo though.

Have you compared both in your room? That throw and cut time stuff really is mumbo jumbo though.

Yes, have you? (not the sub 1 and 2 tho, but that would be a total no brainer) And only strictly speaking they are. They're just common terms people use to describe different perceptions of the sound as well you know, some people use the term 'colour' too.

Last edited:
Yes, have you? (not the sub 1 and 2 tho, but that would be a total no brainer) And only strictly speaking they are. They're just common terms people use to describe different perceptions of the sound as well you know, some people use the term 'colour' too.

If you have compared both subs in your room and find the sub 1 better than fair enough, I just dont like to see meaningless terms thrown around to try describe why the sub one owns is better than the sub one doesnt own. How you can differentiate which sub throws further in a normal living is unknown to me. Its the first time I heard the term cut time, but subs of this calibre are all pkenty fast, its only room modes and/or distortion that makex a sub sound slow. Just FYI, the perception of speed is actually only apllicable to higher frequency sub bass, our ears arent sensetive enough at the lowest frequencies to know any better. As for if a sub goes low enough for it to not matter, that can only come down to preference, and generally speaking, a sub that can go lower cleanly is usually no slouch further up the range.

All that said, Ive no doubt your find the sub one the best, I'm just not convinced it would be for everyone, or far enough ahead for it to be night and day. I reckon the sub 25 probably goes a touch deeper while the sub1 will have nicer upper bass, and which would be better I think would be more down to preference than one sub being clearly much better then the other. Me?, I'd choose the sub1 as well - probably :D

If you have compared both subs in your room and find the sub 1 better than fair enough, I just dont like to see meaningless terms thrown around to try describe why the sub one owns is better than the sub one doesnt own. How you can differentiate which sub throws further in a normal living is unknown to me. Its the first time I heard the term cut time, but subs of this calibre are all pkenty fast, its only room modes and/or distortion that makex a sub sound slow. Just FYI, the perception of speed is actually only apllicable to higher frequency sub bass, our ears arent sensetive enough at the lowest frequencies to know any better. As for if a sub goes low enough for it to not matter, that can only come down to preference, and generally speaking, a sub that can go lower cleanly is usually no slouch further up the range.

Right, hang on before you go off one like you did on David. First off I said right off the bat that is was quasi made up mumbo jumbo and then explained them further as commonly used terms, I'm sure there's no colour in sound either, yet it's used all the time.

You're turning round and telling me things I already know. I've already mentioned distortion and in comparing the 2 subs it's very easy to class the one with the smaller drivers as being faster, having a quicker cut time, being more punchy, the perception of quicker roll off due to driver and cab size etc etc - whatever you want to call it.

I am fully aware that our hearing only has a certain range, honestly you're being a bit condescending here. I've been in the music industry for over 20 yrs, I'd like to think I've picked up a few things here and there. One thing for sure it has given me is a good ear. I regard that as the best tool.

While we're at it, there is a relative cut off point where it doesn't matter, it's very low granted but at the same time I think the sub 1 goes low enough to the point where you really aren't loosing that much when the rest of the media is mixed in and I'm certainly not interested in getting into some stupid ******* match about what hz that should be and at what dB according to whatever holy handbook you've been handed down.

So we're cool, yeah?

All that said, Ive no doubt your find the sub one the best, I'm just not convinced it would be for everyone, or far enough ahead for it to be night and day. I reckon the sub 25 probably goes a touch deeper while the sub1 will have nicer upper bass, and which would be better I think would be more down to preference than one sub being clearly much better then the other. Me?, I'd choose the sub1 as well - probably :D

All that said, it was the best choice for me at the time given what was on the market and what my dealer could let me trade up to. This sub is held in high regard by many professionals in the industry but at the same time it might not suit everyone, but I'm not trying to sell it to anyone - people asked me which one is better I said the sub 1.

The 25 does goes lower, the sub 1 is louder, integrates better and blends better - again just regular used terms. This is not the technology discussion thread, it's the owners thread - I just don't want it end up like the trainwreck that is the KK thread and have the mods stamping thru it.

cheers.

R.

Last edited:
Sub1 owner checking in. My last 3 subs were SVS PC13 Ultra, JL Audio F113 and then the Sub1. In my option each was a step up from the previous.

I’d like to think about the Sub2 as the next step, but my experience in testing was that it was just too much in some environments, by this I mean that unless you have a bulletproof room with no crystal dogs, pictures and all fittings and fixtures are glued down then it can be overwhelming and just rattle the house. Certainly the build quality of my current house would spoil a Sub2. On this basis a Sub1 is good for me right now and never really leaves me thinking ‘Am I missing something here?’.

Apart from that I still think it’s as good as anything else in the market place right now, including the DD18+ and SubMersive, although I may need to test a SubMersive 2 (with the dual 18’s) if it ever comes to market. Oh and there is still a possibility of dual Sub1’s, but that would be silly…….:devil:

Right, hang on before you go off one like you did on David. First off I said right off the bat that is was quasi made up mumbo jumbo and then explained them further as commonly used terms, I'm sure there's no colour in sound either, yet it's used all the time.

You're turning round and telling me things I already know. I've already mentioned distortion and in comparing the 2 subs it's very easy to class the one with the smaller drivers as being faster, having a quicker cut time, being more punchy, the perception of quicker roll off due to driver and cab size etc etc - whatever you want to call it.

I am fully aware that our hearing only has a certain range, honestly you're being a bit condescending here. I've been in the music industry for over 20 yrs, I'd like to think I've picked up a few things here and there. One thing for sure it has given me is a good ear. I regard that as the best tool.

While we're at it, there is a relative cut off point where it doesn't matter, it's very low granted but at the same time I think the sub 1 goes low enough to the point where you really aren't loosing that much when the rest of the media is mixed in and I'm certainly not interested in getting into some stupid ******* match about what hz that should be and at what dB according to whatever holy handbook you've been handed down.

So we're cool, yeah?

All that said, it was the best choice for me at the time given what was on the market and what my dealer could let me trade up to. This sub is held in high regard by many professionals in the industry but at the same time it might not suit everyone, but I'm not trying to sell it to anyone - people asked me which one is better I said the sub 1.

The 25 does goes lower, the sub 1 is louder, integrates better and blends better - again just regular used terms. This is not the technology discussion thread, it's the owners thread - I just don't want it end up like the trainwreck that is the KK thread and have the mods stamping thru it.

cheers.

R.

Not going off on one, I didnt with David :smashin: I'm just trying to understand exactly what it is your trying to describe, and I like to see accurate info posted, and thats it really. Sometimes I get a little concerned about forum impartiality, and if anything, in that respect your posts are a bit of a breath of fresh air :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom