• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Paradigm sub 2 with 6 10" drivers

Matyam

Established Member
Has anyone seen the specs for the above new paradigm to be seen at the bristol show yum yum quite small as well,just as B W bring out 2 x 12 drivers the colonials bring out that typicaL.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Curse my tiny memory, but Tom Garrett of Anthem ran the specs by me at the National Audio show and I can't remember them although the word kilowatts was mentioned a fair bit. In terms of appearance, think Martin Logan Descent i on steroids.

It will be a cracker.;)

<EDIT>Google image search threw up this little lot. Nice.

Russell

Last edited by a moderator:

Matyam

Established Member
Curse my tiny memory, but Tom Garrett of Anthem ran the specs by me at the National Audio show and I can't remember them although the word kilowatts was mentioned a fair bit. In terms of appearance, think Martin Logan Descent i on steroids.

It will be a cracker.;)

<EDIT>Google image search threw up this little lot. Nice.

Russell

Russell 9000 watts 9000 watts kin hell need another ring main ,289 lbs oooooh that should raise the marriots roof a bit this year.Russell please buy one :thumbsup: so you can review it.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Has anyone seen the specs for the above new paradigm to be seen at the bristol show yum yum quite small as well,just as B W bring out 2 x 12 drivers the colonials bring out that typicaL.

You know M&K have been doing that for over ten years now :lesson:

This sub must be some bit of kit though, I wander if building one at home with 6 12" drivers would be good :devil:

Medrep1

Established Member
Have you seen the youtube video on it:devil:

Unless someone beats me ill find the link...............

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Just had a play with 6 AV12's in a sub (same idea as this sub, and sorry but I cant help but mess with numbers). With 6000 watts input could be made for about 2k max. It would need a cabinet of about 120 litres and would peak at 133 hz (probably 139 in room). It'd manage 108 at 10hz and still be well within xmax. All for half the price, but given the fact a commercial sub would normally be 4 times our build cost, and this Paradigm isnt far behind thats makes it actually seem pretty cheap for the sub on offer in real terms.

I'm not sure the B&W would be able to compete with that one and cant see why anyone would choose it over this based on specs alone, eq or no eq. A subjective comparison based purely on sound quality would probably be of more benefit than a performance shootout I reckon. It certainly looks a fantastic peice of kit!

I'm quite happy I currently get a peak of about 124db with my own sub (upto 130 in room).

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyST

Established Member
I wouldn't have thought ear defenders would be any use at all at sub bass frequencies, don't they mainly attenuate the highs?

Krisboats

Established Member
I wouldn't have thought ear defenders would be any use at all at sub bass frequencies, don't they mainly attenuate the highs?

That's presuming he hasn't stuffed wax buds down each ear canal then filled the insides of the headset with concrete or clay!

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Ear defenders do lose efficiency at lower frequencies but are still valuable. I find when testing at high levels that I can hear subwoofer test tones long after they have ceased. In situations with high levels of low frequencies ear defenders are highly beneficial in reducing noise fatigue.

micb3rd

Established Member
Yes ear protection still work at low frequencies.

I use Etymotic ER-20's when playing with 10 + bass drums they deffo cut bass nicely. They advertise 20db across the range but i's say they are closer to 15db.

I have yet to test them at 140Db-150DB at 20hz-40hz, I will be doing this soon to see how effective they are at mind nummingly loud.

Back to subwoofers, 6 x 10's is exactly the same cone area as 4 x 12's.

Having more coils (assuming they are same quality) is an advantage for speading large amounts of power thus keeping heat/impedence rise down and reliability up.

That Paradigm Reference Signature Sub 2 looks interesting.

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Ear plugs are nowhere near as good as closed headphone style ear defenders. Soft ear plugs are useful as backup to the headphones for a few dB more reduction in very noisy environments. The headphones reduce exposure of the "sticky out" bits (pinna) to noise and help to reduce bone conduction. The better phones have electronic noise cancellation and FM stereo radio built in. Which helps to retain your sanity when they need to be worn for hours on end. Passive ear defenders are very claustrophobic when worn for a while. Like floating in a sensory deprivation tank while still trying to work. :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom