1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm Servo-15

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by fatrich, Nov 2, 2001.

1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Guys
    After reading a number of reviews and reading what some servo owners have writen i think i may have to try and buy one ( notice i said try because richer sounds have had me in the past, but to there credit they did sort it eventually) my only question is that of room size, my room is 12ft8 by 9ft and is a dedicated hc room my fear is that room may be too small for the sub and positioning wise it will have to sit at the front in between the rack and the front speakers.From experience can anyone advise if the servo will sound daft in a room of this size ( at the mo i am currently running a Rel q200e will the difference between the two be obvious) Sorry i asked more than one question.

thanks

richard;)

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi Fatrich,

How does the Q200E sound in your room right now? My room is 17 x 11.5ft, and my Paradigm PDR 10 is not really up to it. I'm awaiting delivery of a Q200E as we speak, so I'm wondering how your Rel sounds in your room....

My HT room is in my loft, and I am a bit concerned about vibrations spreading to the roof tiles and rattling them loose, so I decided against the Servo15. Bang for buck, that sub looks fantastic for the money. :)

I don't have any experience of this sub, but it is quite large compare to the Rel. If you have room for it, go for it! I don't think you will be dissapointed judging by the HCC review (sick bags on standby!!), though I don't know if it will be as 'tight' as the Rel.

Will your neighbours still love you if you by the S15?

I hope you get some feedback from someone who has one. If not, try www.avsforum.com, because I know there are some people there who have this sub, and may be able to help.

HTH

Gary.

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Richard,

The review stated that the servo 15 needed a big room to perform at its best. You can't always go by reviews of course, but it makes sense, although my room is not particularly large. As with anything you would need to try it for yourself. I've been experimenting with different positions, although I havent found a better one than where the previous sub was. I'm using The Haunting as a test disc, as it has very low LF effects. There are several places where the sub booms and I'm trying to smooth this off a bit. I'm also interested how other people use thiers, particluarly Nic who I know has one (or 2).

Regards Rob.

4. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Servo15 in a 20x10ft room, it replaced a Q200E and I think it's a heck of a lot better. The sub goes down to below 20Hz with ease where the Q200E went to about 25-30, and can produce huge amounts of bass with no difficulty. I find it works as well as the Rel with music, very smooth. The Haunting takes on a whole new effect with the Servo :D

It must be said that the biggest (only?) drawback with the Servo15 is the size, at 50x50x60cm it's huge compared to the Q200E. For £500 the Servo 15 is a serious bargain.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have no experience of the Servo or the REL 200E. However, I've been studying the sub thing for about 6 months now.
    I've looked at them all DIY and commercial. My own and totally independent opinion is that the Servo is one hell of a bargain from all the reading I've done. Search out the Servo in this section and you'll see the old (in depth) posts on it. Very comprehensive.
    As for room size, I'm not worried about it. My room is 11' x 12' and I'm considering 2!!!!!!!! But don't let the wife know. The radiator and one whole wall will disappear :eek: :), but what the hell. As the song says, I'm Addicted to Bass!

Look at the Paradigm website and read the factory visit write up. More informative than any review. Hence my liking for Paradigm.
    www.paradigm.com

If you do get one soon, I'd love to know how you get on, I've just bought a DVD player (upgrade), subs were next on my list, so they'll have to wait a while.

If you don't go Paradigm Servo 15, the only 'real' alternative IMHO is DIY with Adire Audio/IPL or REL.

Have fun.

6. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just a quick one to second the `Generals` findings - if you can get one from `Richers` - about £500 i`snt it,then that is a real good deal,this is one serious sub,have heard them in set-ups before,goes real deep,nice clean bass :D just the size of the damm thing- huge :eek: go for it!!

7. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for the advice guys, i will get one of these beasts as soon as richer sounds re stock they are showing 20 in the warehouse for anyone else interested.Just a quick one does anyone have an idea of how much i should sell my Q200e for it's about 5 months old paid £600 for it from sevenoaks.

thanks

richard

8. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would ask for 2/3 rds of the CHEAPEST price you can find it at.
    I.e www.laservision.co.uk
    To be honest it doesnt matter what you actualy paid but what they can be bought for new.
    Alternative just decide what you would be happy paying if you were buying it
    :p :p :p

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I bought a little used Q200E from Laservision for £380, so you should be asking around that kind of price I guess.

I wish I had room for a servo 15, it's a lovely piece of kit and a real bargain at only £500. I thought my PDR10 was good too. :)

Gary.

10. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Richard,

Good news that Richer sounds have a few left. Might order another while I can :D Anybody else looking for one should pull thier fingers out sharpish. Can't see them lasting long.

Rob

PS thanks for the HTPC advice.

11. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Richer sounds just called me have a servo 15 in stock so i have bitten the bullet and i will be picking it up on Saturday, if anyone knows of anybody needing a Rel Q200E let me know

regards

richard

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi fat'

can you do a back to back of the s15 with the q200e so we caqn all get an idea of how they compare?

The s15 would be my sub of choice if I had the room for it. It sounds excellent for the money.

Cheers,

Gary.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I got two into the house before the wife noticed, she wasn't to chuffed though! Good Luck General.

The Servo15 is a great sub, you will hear movies in a new light and discover what real bass is all about.

14. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    ".........you will hear movies in a new light and discover what real bass is all about........"

Absolutely.

£500 is a steal.

Every home should be blessed with good woofin.

Cheers.

15. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Nic, it's your fault from way back that I even am considering them! That's what I tell the wife anyway. :)
    I've been measuring again, remember the '1cm' gap if I managed a KEF 200c? Well two of these babies will push my measuring to the extreme edge. She is already supicious as I lie sprawled acroos the room. I have a sneaking suspicion she knows!:eek:
    I may be forced back to my IPL/Adire/REL approach.:(
    Fingers crossed.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Always glad to be the fall guy, the one thing that is certain is the kit is kooool, you'll love it. Good value as well, don't forget that, you save soo much money you must buy two. It works in lakeland plastics why not our hobby?