1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm Servo 15 - YOU WANT TO READ THIS

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Matt F, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Okay - this post could make me very popular.

Many of you may think your birthday's have come quickly.

If I were to tell you that a further 50 Servo 15s have left Canada bound for our shores and should be at the Richer Sounds warehouse in early September priced at £499 would you believe me?

Well you shouldn't 'cus it's not true.

Only joking - IT IS TRUE! I wrote an e-mail to Richer's Nick Halliday a few weeks ago (asking about Servo 15s) but I didn't get a reply so I thought nothing of it - then, the other day I received a reply (see below) from Nick who is actually Richer's Purchasing Director. I didn't post it straight away because I needed to check the price with him - he confirmed £499.

So, if you thought you were never going to get one you're wrong - just e-mail Nick Halliday to reserve yourself one. If this wonderful news is making you feel benevolent towards me then please feel free to send me a bottle of wine, a case of beer or just some money.

And, no I'm not going to be getting one as I have a Velodyne HGS15 on the way - so everybody's happy:D

Matt

And here is Nick's e-mail to me:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Matt,

Thanks for your message - apologies for my delay in replying, I have just returned from a business trip followed by a holiday.

Regarding the Servo 15, they have never been a very popular line for us, hence the reason to clear out our remaining stock at £499, which is pretty much our cost price. Having read the interesting points raised on the AV Forums site, I have managed to add a further small quantity (50pcs) of Servo 15s to our next shipment from Canada, which I believe has just left port. They should arrive in our warehouse early in September.

Just to clarify a few "rumours" circulating on the forum, I have personally visited the Paradigm factory in Toronto on several occasions, and I can confirm that their production facilities, quality control and reliabilty are all first class (believe me, I've seen a lot of factories that aren't!). Also, I can confirm that Richer Sounds has never purchased anything other than new, sealed units from Paradigm (i.e. not "graded", "B-stock", "ex-repair", etc.) That's not to say that we would not do this in the future, as often this is a good way for us to bring even cheaper prices to our customers, although all such offers are always clearly marked as such in our advertising.

Please feel free to pass this information to your fellow posters on the forum, and if they would like to contact me by email, I'll keep their details on file and let them know when the stock arrives.

I hope that this answers your queries, but if you or your fellow boarders have any further questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Best regards,
    Nick Halliday
    Purchasing Director
    Richer Sounds plc

nickh@richersounds.com

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hmmm. Wonder if I can fit one in with my Velodyne CHT15?:D

Good news for those that are hankering after one though. Nice one.:)

Better get those orders in quick before Nic finds out!!;)

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    ! nice one.

Chinese rumour been busy again. Never thought mine was anything other than seal stock.:)

There are going to be lots of happy bunnies again except poor Eric

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Only 50 coming. That's just enough for Nic

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    COME TO MOMMA!!!!

I thought I'd got more chance of getting a BJ off the Pope than getting hold of a new one of these, but it seems not!! :D :D

Nic mate, how much better than my twin PDR10's would the Servo 15 sound? ( I know it's a daft question just humour me :clown: )

Matt you’re a true gent! If you ever pass through Tamworth on your travels be sure to let me know and I'll buy you pint or ten!! :D

Cheers

Dave

6. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    HOLY PLOP!!!

superb mate, best news i've heard in years.

I hope he can hold me one as i live in Northern Ireland and i sometimes worry that our richer is linked with the irish richer not British.

I sent Nick an email though and please God he will hold me one!

Matt, if you ever hit the green shores of Belfast i will fill you full of so much bushmills and 'black stuff' you won't be able to see for years.

Thank you so much matey.

7. John DB

John DB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers Matt thats excellent news.

I've e-mailed Nick asking to reserve me 2 and I look forward to biting my fingernails for the next 3+ weeks :D

Send me your details/preferred poison via pm and when I finally have em in my grubby mits i'll send it on.

John.
    (Former member T_Strife who's been on a mission with Richer Sounds and others since April for some serious subwooferage at a good price)

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that Richer Sounds is in fact a charity. (are you a registered charity Mr Halliday?)
    Small point here, even if Richer sell these at cost (highly doubtful), allowing for VAT, Duty, Freight and Shipping insurance, they are paying approx £300 pounds for this sub.
    These are being sold in the USA for approx $1500 dollars. How?
    Richers order of 50 pieces is not really something I'd consider as a bulk purchase. As you know, there are companies in the States that make Richer look miniscule by their size and sales volumes. I know one such company well and they are paying a dam sight more to Paradigm than $468 USD (£300).

Hmmmm, covering yourselves this time????

Chinese Whispers?

Ouchhh. No Nick, there are a lot more than one.
    I've had at least 7 or 8 private emails mentioning the horrific reliability issues of these subs. One as recent as last week from Robert Rust. I'd love to post it but hopefully Robert can make a comment. Suffice to say that Robert has a Velodyne on order. Not every Paradigm buyer is a forum member so there are probably many more.

Not at all. I see 50 future Velodyne customers here :D

9. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well done mate!!!
    Time for me to add another?
    Cheers
    Gary

10. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not for me thanks. I'm one of the unlucky ones. I bought a Servo 15 last year and it promptly died on me. Took it back to RS and got another. A week later there was an awfull smell of burning followed by a loud click and then nothing.
    I reckon they must be seconds or something. Either that or just very bad quality. I now have a rel storm and its different class.

11. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I spoke to alot of RS folk when I was trying to track mine down.
    Perhaps this statement says alot.
    "Paradigm make quality equipment,most of the problems are to do with the step down transfomer that we fit when they arrive in the UK"
    Why not use a external transformer at the power supply?
    "Yeah,sounds like a idea"
    At least if mine dies I can now get a replacement.
    The S15 does have a cheap look about it,for $1500 I would have expected better.
    When I first got it home the on/off switch sheared off in my hand,tweezers are now the order of the day.
    Give it back to RS to fit another?Not a chance.
    Gary

12. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If anybody recieves a servo-15 from richer sounds, minus the lead, manual and X-30 controller, it probably my old one.

My first one died after about 3 months, I returned it and recieved a brand new one. This lasted about 4 months. I returned it to Mr Richer, and 10 weeks later it was still there "awaiting a module". I then decided enough was enough, as I didn't want it anway and demanded a refund, which they reluctantly gave me.

Reliability issues aside, I don't think its a great performer. Sure it goes loud and low, and is good value at £499, but I certainly don't think its worth much more. I've been using my trusty old Q50, which sounds great and has never let me down untill my new sub arrives. I've used Velodyne subs (including the HGS-15) before, and found them outstanding performers which is why I've taken advantage of the power buy and ordered an HGS-15 for myself. They certainly put the Servo-15s to shame, which indeed they shoud at around 4 times the price. If you can afford one, its a no-brainer

13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,
    I agree, they are good value when they don't break down. However, I think any comparison with a Velodyne unit should be made with the CHT-15 (£684.00), hopefully Jase should recieve his next week and comment.
    With respect to Paradigm owners, IMO, comparing the Paradigm Servo-15 to a HGS-15 is akin to a hot hatch versus a Ferrari. As Rob said, at around four times the price, it should be (and it is).

Eric

14. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    in terms of reliability, how does the ps 1000 compare to the servo 15?

15. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have had 2 PS1000's (and Paradigm Reference Fronts) and they have been fine. Make sure, if you are buying one, that you get the one with the rounded top rather than the flat topped one. The rounded one is the newer model.

Russell

16. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can add me to the list of satisfied Servo 15 owners. I've had two Servo 15s (RS Belfast's demo unit for a few weeks and my new sub) and both have worked perfectly. Both units are 240V UK power supplies and came with X30 crossovers, and the new sub came sealed with a UK moulded power cable inside. If I had the room I'd definitely buy a second (though I don't think my house could handle it :) )

17. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    cskates

When did you give the demo unit back?

i have been trying to get a servo off them for weeks, they say the one they have on display at the moment is faulty.

grrrr

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Astinvillan,
    what does that tell you???? I've been tellin the forum that these are no good for a whole year.dont blame me if someone has a guy fawkes accident with these rubbish.
    buyin one of these is like playin russian roulette only with five bullets instead of one :D:D
    i've got an mk sub and never had problems with it. if i could afford now, it i'd buy one of uncle dericks ferari HGS velodynes before you could say acrusty delphi :devil:
    i'm savin and should have one in the chip house by chrismas :D Better break mrs chip the news slowly

19. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At least 6-8 months ago, can't remember the exact date.

20. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    CHIP

I am with you on that one.

Trying to save - Would love a HGS - but that going to take at least 6-10 months for me to save for!!! So 2 Strata III's could be the quicker option for me....

-----

GJC

21. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OMG I really really wanted a Servo 15 till I read this thread :eek:

I presently have 2 Paradigm PS1000s but they don't quite cut it with digital sound, I've now ordered a B&W ASW 675 subwoofer instead of the Servo 15. Interesting that I only spoke to Richer Sounds today and they said "we just don't do them anymore, sorry" :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on the B&W ASW 675 peeps, it's the first time I've ordered a sub without auditioning it so I'm scared to bits :D

22. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Paradigm PS1000 and a Servo 15, no problems as yet.
    Previously I used a B&W ASW-1000. Perfectly reliable but a bit one-note flapper.
    Before I bought these I tried the cheaper RELs and was underwhelmed.
    If buying now I would go for Uncle Eric's Power Buy Velodyne, think about it...

23. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Well I received a mail from the director of RS saying a servo 15 is mine when they arrive and my order will be processed as soon as they come in.

I too am now wondering if i've done the wrong thing :(

Think I should of stuck with the CHT15 from uncle eric.

24. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the people who have reserved a Servo 15 it may by worthwhile reminding yourself why you did it.

www.audioreview.com/Subwoofers/Paradigm,Servo,15/PRD_120364_2741crx.aspx

If, after you take delivery it turns out to be faulty then you have full recourse with Richer Sounds under the law.

www.lesliegeddesbrown.com/legal.htm

As with all things in life, you can't please all of the people all of the time, some people will like this sub others will not. I've reserved 2 of these buggers so keep your eye on the classified's, there might be a couple Servo 15's for sale shortly:)

25. Harold Corbet

Harold Corbet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rather you than me Gary. I had two of these buggers, both faulty and almost threw the last one into the skip. I did two 15-20 mile round trips and wasted over four hours in the process. Richer can stuff them where he wants. I'll stick to my REL thanks.

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apoculpins,
    thats true. they only do fried up seconds :D
    ive never heard the bw sub but anythings better than setting your house onn fire with this candian fire hazerd

27. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you mean about the rounded top on the PS1000. I bpought mine 6 months ago and am very pleased with it.

LIDDERS

28. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    How many of you who ordered this sub are still going through with it even now you should of had a phone call from RS telling you there is no X30 included anymore and if you want one you have to Pay £99 more :eek:

Cheers
    Bry

29. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi bry

I have sent an e-mail to richersounds today to see if they have any left. I think it may be worth one go to see if I am lucky to get a good one. If not they will have to ki$$ my ass and give me a refund.

Regards

30. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Hi Stewart,

You can have the one Jim at RS is holding for me while I decide if i want a black one or not.

I have ordered a CHT 15 from Eric now :D