1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm PW2200 Goodness!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Cheng, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    With a little help from Mr Cheese, his receipt and a print out of the £260 thread, I managed to drive 110 miles to pick up my new Paradigm PW2200 Sub for a meagre £260 :D

This sub goes LOW...any owners got any set up tips though? I'm not sure if its meant to sound excessive, or if the sounds meant to be like that!

The huge 12" driver (well for me anyway!:D) was impressively throttling backwards and forwards in the troll scene in FOTR...so hypnotising!

However, episode 2 fight scene was amazing, as was gladiator :laugh: !! But it didn't do that well with music, might have to do more tweaking!

Big thanks to Mr Cheese for this, you're a star!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    In case you missed it, the film was quite good too :D

Most subs take a while to get right and you will probably still be fiddling with it in a week's time.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I had one of these, and you are right it is impressive. Some tips:

The 2200 has a very large port you could loose a Mondeo in. This port should not fire into a corner, or the bass will be overblown and boomy. I had the sub out of a corner firing into the room about 20 degrees from the side wall.

The internal amplifier is very powerful, or the inputs are very sensitive. It is possible that the volume level can be set too high, even though the setting "looks" right. When I had mine, the volume was only 1/4 of the way round.

The crossover to the sub, if possible, should be 60Hz, not 80. I found that at 80Hz the sub was good for AV, but too in yer face for steroe stuff. 60Hz was a good compromise, loosing little AV but gaining a great deal of stereo performance.

Russell

4. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do subs have to be at the front? If it were behind the sitting position, (thus the sofa would be the first contact of the sound before the viewers) would I still get the lovely jean ripples or not?

Also, I'm pretty sure the 'brand new' sub as the richer man told me was version one, not the latest version 2. But I guess RS no longer import them, so it was just older V1 stock..:(

But at least it has high level inputs, which the V2 doesn't have! :)

But what are subwoofers meant to sound like? Is the bass meant to be very obvious? Because when I have got what appears to be 'smoothly integrated' sound then I sorta lack a bit of slam...but if i have more slam then its obvious, and doesn't sound too integrated!

Thanks for your tips guys!

5. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Oh and also, my Yammy V630 RDS Receiver automatically has a x-over of 90hz, so should I crank up my x-over on the sub to 150hz, so it will use up all the bass allocated to it? (After all, nothing more than 90 should go to it right?!)

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Either turn it right up as you suggested or switch the sub's crossover out altogether if it has such a switch.

7. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Cheng

Happy to help! Hope you enjoy your purchase. It's one heck of a bargain you got there, sir:D

As to placement, well given it's the size of a small filing cabinet and WAF to consider, I was a bit limited to where I could place mine. From my viewing position my sub is just in front and to the side facing 90 degrees to me. It's pretty close, and if I turn the cut off fairly low ie so I just get the true SUB bass then the sound appears to be pretty un-directional and I tend to feel it as much as I hear it! If I take the cross over higher,then the higher bass frequencies become more directional and I can hear where the bass is coming from, this becomes a bit distracting.

Unfortunately my Amp, an Arcam AVR100 has no bass management so I'm a bit stuffed as to where to put the crossover dial. However I just experimented to get the 'best' sound for me. Pulling the six-inch port away from the wall a bit did cure the boomy effect I was getting. Personally I would have prefered to have the sub in line with the front speakers and the cross over a little higher, but there's no room so I can't.

Placement does make a difference and I suppose you can fiddle to the cows come home! However the DVDs themselves are a lot to blame.I've found you can have the sub set up perfectly for one movie, then the next,the bass is overpowering, the next it's non-existent. There is such a difference sometimes that I find myself fiddling with the dials during the films. I've chilled out more of late and now tend to watch the movie:laugh:

8. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Question still withstanding :D :

Do subs have to be at the front? If it were behind the sitting position, (thus the sofa would be the first contact of the sound before the viewers) would I still get the lovely jean ripples or not?

And:

But what are subwoofers meant to sound like? Is the bass meant to be very obvious? Because when I have got what appears to be 'smoothly integrated' sound then I sorta lack a bit of slam...but if i have more slam then its obvious, and doesn't sound too integrated!

Thanks!

9. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm no expert but I don't believe it is necessary to have the sub at the front. True sub-bass *appears* to be non-directional so I guess behind the listening position is okay. There's so much air movement from the 12" driver that the window shattering effect would probably still be apparent even from behind the seating position. I guess experimenting is the one solution.

As to 'integration', well as I said earlier, DVDs appear to be so different sometimes it's hard to tell what the sub is supposed to sound like. Personally, because the sub is so close to my listening position, I have the frequency cut-off fairly low, about half-way on the dial. This way the bass comes from the main speakers and only the true sub bass comes from the subwoofer. After much fiddling, this is what I've decided sounds best for me. At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.