1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm PS1200 problem

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Pete Callan, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something's wrong with my subwoofer. I've only just bought it and I've told Richer Sounds where I got it, that I think its faulty.

Half volume is a joke, and this is a 175 watt sub! I was told by someone who's got a much quieter sub that at half volume the floor moves. Even at full volume nothing much happens to mine and it certainly doesn't drown out any other sounds.

Can anyone suggest what could be the problem.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try increasing the subwoofer output from your AV amp.

Have you connected it to the subwoofer pre-out? (when you adjust the av amps volume control it increases the subwoofer relative to the others)

3. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it is connected to the Pre-out.

Does this automatically increases the subwoofer relative to the others when I increase the AV volume?

4. Billy Bob Smith

Billy Bob Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does but when you setup the amp you should be able to setup the subwoofer volume from the amp. It sounds like it may be too low so try using the amp test tones to ensure that the volume is OK

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup.

Even if you set the subwoofer adjustment on the av amp to +12 (ie max) and increase the sub's volume to max is it still too low? Have you set the subwoofer to about 80hz crossover?

6. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the weekend I did the speaker set up for the first time, one of my fronts is broken but anyway, back to the sub problem. The sub was very quiet indeed till I turned the volume right up and then you could hear it.

What I don't understand is why I should have to set the sub up to a higher volume - if anything it should be the complete opposite as this is the most powerful speaker I have.

I've set the crossover to about 110 on the advice of someone else here. I'm not sure what you mean about increasing it to +12 as mine go higher than that - but maybe that's just what your amp goes up to.

Am fed up with all this - one of my M73 fronts is broken, my M7C2 centre and my sub are seriously underpowered. My TV is broken after just 8 months, and its a Loewe, allegedly the most reliable brand. I thought buying Loewe, Mission and Paradigm would ensure quality and reliability. Sorry for rant, just fed up, and it doesn't help when just about every post on an AV forum is double-dutch to me.

7. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the PS1000 partnered with a Marantz SR4200 and the room shakes it I turn the sub volume up to half so something is wrong with your setup. It might not be the sub though, it could be your settings on the amp (What amp you got?). Have you set all speakers to small and sub to yes on the amp? If you set it like this then you should set your sub X-over to max because the amp will take care of bass management. What modes are you using on the amp eg. DD5.1 or Prologic 2 etc?

8. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does your amp even know that you've got a sub now?????

If you've set 'subwoofer = no' then you wont get any sound out of it. The noise you get when you turn it up full is probably just the other channels 'bleeding' into the sub output.

Just a guess.

9. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, forgot to say I have a Marantz SR6200 so haven't skimped there either. Its all set up properly, ie. the sub is set to YES, and all the speakers are set to SMALL.

I've now been told 3 different crossover amounts to use, 80, 110 and now maximum. But whatever one I try, the result's the same.

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Have you got pre outs for the main channels on your amp?

If you have then try connecting the sub to them and set the front channels to large.

Does it make a difference?

When I had my PS1000 it's volume control went from off to LOUD with the tiniest turn of the knob. Maybe volume controls aren't Paradigm's forte.

11. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, per above, the sub is connected to the pre-out. I've tried what you said with the fronts set to LARGE: no improvement at all.

12. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Well I've just thought, why not by-pass the amp and plug the sub directly into the DVD/CD player's left/right analogue outputs.

:lesson: Turn the volume all the way down on the sub first !!

Put in a CD or DVD with bass.

Set the PS1200's crossover to max and turn up the subs volume very slowly. If that doesn't give you good volume then the sub really is knackered. If you do get results then there is some amp set-up problem or the amp isn't working properly.

13. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Presumably you know that the cable you are using is not faulty?

14. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I have had some success. I tried plugging the sub direct into the DVD player but didn't get any sound at all.

So I put the cable back into the Pre-out Sub connection at the back of the amp, switched the TV back on and suddenly it started working. It is REALLY LOUD, LOL!

However, it ONLY works when I watch cable TV or a video tape on the VCR, not when I watch a DVD! Also, the volume of the sub can't be controlled via the amp volume, but only via the sub volume control button. In other words, even if I have all the other speakers at zero volume, there's still sound coming out of the sub.

So at least I know I haven't bought a dud sub, but can anyone advise how I set the amp up so that it controls the sub volume? Also, how do I get the sub to work when I watch a DVD?

15. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Then either:

1) The amp is screwed (unlikely from the symptoms you describe).

2) You've cabled it up wrong.

Read the manual again and then:

Disconnect EVERYTHING and then just plug the DVD player into the DVD digital in, the sub into the sub pre out, set all speakers to small (they do not need to be connected). Then play a CD with plenty of bass and make sure you can control the sub with the amp vol control.
    Only when you have got the sub working should you start connecting the other speakers, cable, video etc.

16. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just realised that when I put the sub cable back into the amp, it went into the wrong hole! It went into the OUT Left DSS/VCR hole. That's the only time it got my sub to work, because when I put it back into the Pre Out Sub hole, the sub stopped working again!

I don't think the Pre-Out holes can be working properly, or perhaps they need to be set up properly?

As for the DVD cable, its in the DIG IN 4 hole.

What a way to spend a sunny afternoon!

17. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the only audio connection between your DVD and AMP is the digital cable (e.g. no s-video or phono leads) and you get sound out of the other speakers when playing a DVD then I would be inclined to say that the sub pre out is knackered.

Is it still under warranty???

18. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funnily enough, I bought the amp from QED as well as my M73 front speakers, and I have recently realised having been trying to set the speakers up etc, that one of the M73s is not working properly, so QED have an engineer coming here to look at it. Obviously at the same time, I'll get them to check the amp as well.

Also I think one of my rears isn't working properly either. Not forgetting my underperforming centre speaker and my Loewe TV which is being replaced as its bust too! Am I unlucky or what! :(

19. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Your iffy and under performing speakers might be the amps fault too if it's busted.

I'm surprised the sub didn't work when you connected it direct to the DVD, it should have burst into life. Bet it was a shock when it did (even if it was plugged into the wrong socket) have you recovered yet?

BTW while it was working... did you like it?

Also have you tried leaving the amp unplugged for an hour or does it have a reset switch you can press. You can feel a bit stupid if that's all the engineer does to get it working again.
    I know from experience :suicide:

And while I'm here did you say you ran the M73's as small speakers cos I'd try them on the large setting.

Let us know how you get on.

20. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it was a big shock when it started working and also a big relief. It was excellent but I just wish I understood a bit more about all these sockets! (Does anyone have any links to sites that explain it?)

BTW, its physically impossible to connect the sub lead as well as a scart lead into the back of my DVD player (Toshiba 510) because the sockets are right next to each other and there's just no room (incredibly bad engineering); I tried it with the scart out but still nothing!

I'll leave the amp unplugged tonight and see if I have any better luck tomorrow. I have tried the M73s as both large and small with no difference either way.

NB. I phoned Richer Sounds to tell them to call off the replacement sub as I'd got my one working. They weren't sure why it wasn't working properly but gave me their technical helpline. I asked if it was a premium telephone number, and they said yes: £1 per minute! I didn't call them!

21. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Just had a look at the back of the 510 on the HCC review page. I can see why they invented those flat scart cables now. Do you think anyone at Toshiba ever bothered to try a scart in the socket?

And having seen the sockets did you try connecting the sub to either of the 2ch outputs rather than the sub 5.1 socket on the DVD player. It's strange that there are connections on the back that don't seem to do anything, maybe the 5.1 are activated in a menu somewhere?

Luckily I've not had any problems with Richer Sounds but £1 a minute help lines seem to be the way most companies are going these days. AVforums is a lot cheaper ;)

Hope you get it sorted cos the PS series are great subs.

22. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still no change after having the amp unplugged overnight.

No, I haven't tried connecting the sub cable into either of the 2 ch sockets - do you think it should go in the red or white socket?

23. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It wouldn't matter either one will do. Though that was really only to see if the sub worked. Which it does :clap:

I just wonder that as you now know your sub works if it might be the DVD player that isn't configured properly. I don't have a built in decoder on mine so have no experience of how they are set up.

But the 2ch outputs always work. The 5.1 connectors may only work if the menu settings are correct and the same with the digital outputs. So that might be why the sub made no sound when you plugged it straight in to the DVD's 5.1 sub out.

On my amp, a Yamaha 630, you can assign any of the digital inputs 1, 2, 3 to any component selection input DVD, DSS, CD.
    Is your 'Dig in 4' assigned to the DVD input?

Have you got the DVD players digital outs set to 'bitstream'

It's likely your amp is broken but if you do decide to try the direct to DVD 2ch test be careful and turn the sub down first ;)