1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm PS1000 mod

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by MattTheCat, Dec 17, 2004.

1. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I bought the V3 of the PS1000 sub cheaply (£150) a few years ago. It hasn't grown on me musically, but I think it still has great potential as a good sub. What would be the best steps to take to improve the consistency of clean output right down to about 20Hz?

Should I alter the foam inside?
    Should I buy a new woofer?
    Or a new amplifier?

I want to know the weak links that produce the one-notey sound.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

2. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I don't think there is a lot you can do to the subwoofer other than sell it and buy a new one. I had an earlier model of the Paradigm and would say it had a resonant style of bass but I didn't feel that my PS1000 had 'one note' bass. I guess that's mostly your room and playing around with the position of the sub may help.

IIRC the PS1000 rolls off very sharply below about 30hz and that's due to the bandpass design it uses. The sub should already have been designed to be optimal. The combination of driver, cabinet and amp together make the sub perform as it does so changing any of those will more than likely make the sub sound worse.

3. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just opened up the PS1000, and tested the driver. The amplitude drops quickly below 28Hz (19 or less makes no sound). This strongly makes me believe that the design is not to fault here, it is the driver. If I was to change the driver, what other parts of the sub would I need to change? port size etc? Is there a formula for calculation?

Edit - The driver also resonates at around 60Hz (I think, maybe a bit less). Would improving the driver fix this too? Do they specify resonating frequency?

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you removed the driver from the cabinet to test it then I'm not surprised you didn't get much output. The box is a very important part of the design.

You could consider adding some extra internal bracing and sealing all the joins with silicone, PM mylo for some advice as he's just built a sub and did some tweaking with his old Paradigm PDR8.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is plenty of advice in the DIY forum, especially if you catch the eye of GaryG who seems to know more than most about these things.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    If you go to Linear Team there's a free speaker design package 'Win ISD'. It comes with various drivers preprogrammed so try some of them in the box types the programme supports. This'll give you some feeling for how it all works and saves you doing the maths. If there is driver not in the list you would like to try then so long as you have the Thiele/Small numbers for it, you can feed them into Win ISD and it will calculate how the driver will do in the sub.

With a 4th order bandpass design like the Paradigm, the sealed box volume behind the driver, coupled with the volume of the vented chamber infront of the driver and the port tuning all make the sub sound like it does. If you change the driver you will most likely have to alter all of those items to get the sub sounding at it's best.

I'm not trying to put you off experimenting but there is a reason why most subs are built from scratch or from a pre existing tested design.

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  8. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The PS1000 was my first subwoofer but after this initial thrill, I got bored with the "one note" bass.

I traded up to the Servo 15 and WOW! what a difference.

There is nothing you can do to the PS1000 that isn't money down the drain mate.

Change it for something better - muy nest move is to the B&W ASW 850.
    Regards
    Caleb.

9. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I went from a PS1000 to 1 then 2 servos and now due to building work in the new year and a much smaller dedicated room after that I've gone back to PS1000 to tide me over.

If you've got less than £200 to spend then it's probably hard to beat but if you've got more then there are better subs new and used out there so that should be your upgrade route. Although I miss my Servos watching ROTK last week with the Paradigm was very good and it beats the Rel Storm sat next to it when used for movies (the Paradigm is not good for music though).

10. MattTheCat

MattTheCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wish it wasn't a bandpass design, all the frequency response graphs seem to have "sad" curves as my economics teacher used to say!

Within the next year I'm upgrading to a DIY sub with a vented design. Will I need a built in filter, as I'm going straight from a PC with bass management to a SR6200 amp (105 watts into 8 ohms)?

Can anyone lend a hand in finding a good deal on a nicely designed sub with good components and a flat response (in right conditions) for less than say £500 or is DIY definately the way forward?

Why don't people get a good car subwoofer for there room? They're really cheap compared to the home cinema ones, and you can guarantee good components most of the time.