Paradigm PS vs PW series sub advice

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bluuzman, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Bluuzman

Bluuzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping someone can give me advice on my very soon to be Paradigm system purchase. I'm pretty sure I'm going with Monitor 9 fronts, the CC-370 center, and Mini-Monitors for surrounds. I'm unsure about which sub would complement this system the best.

Size is a concern, but the Seismic subs are totally out of my price range. I started looking at the PS-1000, which sounds really good. Spec wise the PW-2100 seems to offer quite a bit more. The PS-1200 is huge! The PW-2200 stretches my budget a little too much.

Has anyone heard these subs back to back and can offer advice on which would complement this setup best?

Thanks!

JG

2. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi Bluuzman
    The PS1000 is a good sub but I think one of the PW series would be much better, As a rule of thumb I would go for the best sub possible in this case.
    You always get Monitor 5's as fronts and put the money you save towards the sub

1, PW2200
    2, PW2100
    3.PS1200
    4,PS1000

p.s welcome to AVforums :)

3. Bluuzman

Bluuzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome, Samir, and your thoughts!

My thought in getting the Monitor 9's is that I would have more freedom in listening to just those during my musical escapades and I'd shut the rest of the system off. Of course I'd fire everything during movies.

Do you know if the PW series are any more sensitive to positioning in a given room as compared to the PS series?

My budget would allow the jump from PS1000 to PW2100, still keeping the Monitor 9s...Is the PW2200 that much better than the PW2100?

4. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PW2100! Unfortunately I haven't broken it in just yet. Still, it shakes the room and that's at 1/4 dial. I was impressed. :)

You have to consider what you'll be using it for. If you listen to music more than watch movies, a 10" sub (like the PW2100) is better because it's a bit faster. It will be able to reproduce those quick beats much better. If you watch movies more, then a 12" sub is better because it can reproduce those low rumbles that make explosions sound so good. I chose the PW-2100 for two reasons. First, because I listen to music more, and second because the PW-2200 was out of my price range.

I hope to get my receiver back soon (it had to go out for repairs...) and as soon as I do I'm going to be watching a whole lot of movies and stuff to test everything out. Hopefully, I'll get it back this week!

5. Bluuzman

Bluuzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input. I took the plunge yesterday and got the Monitor 9's, the CC-370 center, the Mini-Monitors for surrounds, and the PW-2100. Have you heard what the best way is to break-in the sub? How much time? I've heard you can play white/pink noise at low volume to help speed things up...any suggestions?

6. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    When breaking in new speakers, I just leave a cd playing on repeat at low vol when I go to work 8 hours a day for a week seems to do the trick :)

7. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy at the store said it would take up to 50 hours. Just watch every movie you own, and it'll break in in no time!