1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm POR10 v Yamaha YSTSW105

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by John B, Jul 25, 2001.

1. John B

John B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both of these subwoofers are within my budget but I would like some feedback on the pros/cons of each and any recommendation of which one I should consider to purchase.
    Any help for a new starter in home cinema would be appreciated

thanks and regards.....john

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother has the pdr10 and if i am being totally honest every time i go around there i am genuinely surprised at the "amount" (pressure) of low end this thing chucks out but given that he listens to alot of music and again having listened to it i feel it is about as articulate as an overladen supertanker! (i myself use 3 "better" sub's so opinion is reasonably well formed) it does not want to work in a "seamless integration" type of way at all - no sir! and god knows i've given it some time.
    So if Arnie is your man and dvd your game then it goes loud and reasonably low absolutely no complaints for the £150 asking, but if you have the slightest desire for quality music reproduction avoid (or turn off) but i expect this is not uncommon for this price bracket.
    I have no experience of Yamaha sub's myself but proffesional reviews manage generally "average".
    If anyone tries to tell you different about the musical attributes of the paradigm:
    A) I do have "quite" an idea about correctly integrating a sub and
    b) Listen (if you can) to the difference between the Paradigm and say even the smallest Rel's (q50/100 -£280-£400) - compleately different animals (musically speaking).

3. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    id go for a pdr 10 me dad has one ,also i dunno if this is a freaky one off event but even though it is not shielded he has had it right next to the tv for the pas 2 years wit no side effects wot so ever. I am wondering if anyone else has placed thiers next to the telly and had no side effects.

4. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

i agree with most of the people here.
    i'd also rather have the PDR10.
    The yamaha is also solid, but the paradigm has abetter name and the PDR10 has gotten good reviews so far. A lot of bang for the buck. The yammy big plus point has always been it's small size.

BTW may i suggest other options.
    1) Why not buy a model that is going out.
    Mostly these end of line models will be much cheaper.
    2) In your price bracket...the M10 sub from tannoy is musical but can also thump with the best. Check it out. highly recommended.