1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm PDR8 upgrade

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ged, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry if this is going over old ground but-
    will the PDR 10 be a big improvement , or a PS1200 against the PDR8?
    Is either/neither a good step forward, £260 for the 1200 is as much as I would wish to spend.
    Main Kef 35.2
    Centre 95.2
    Rear 85s
    Thanks,
    Ged.

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, it's late, so I apologise if these aren't the most helpful of remarks.

PDR-8 -> PDR-10 is not much of an upgrade.

PDR-8 to the PS series is a significant, albeit not drastic upgrade.
    I have the PS1000 and have found it to be slightly more musical than the PS1200, although in a side by side demo only.

PDR-8 to the Servo 15 is a colussal upgrade, but this may be too much to contemplate.

Hope this helps.

3. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ged

I have exactly the same front end as youself with a couple of Monitor BB's for rear duties. I had a JBL 125 sub which was ok, but then had the chance of a s/h psw 1000 the difference was huge. I have also heard & tested my sub against the PDR 10 and it wins hands down. It can go a good bit lower wiith a lot more grunt but still quite musical if that is what you want.

I use my system 60/40 HC/2 Ch. Would definitely go for the 1000 personally, just in case you haven't seen it it is quite a big box 18" x 17.5" x 18 a fair bit bigger than either the 8 or 10.

Hope this helps Merry Christmas :)

7ThGuest

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the replies, I shall hunt down and check out the PS1000 over the holiday.
    Ged.

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the advice, just bought the PS1000 MUCH better than the PDR8 but very wife unfriendly- oops! bigger than I thought;)
    It seems to fill out the soundstage so much more, even on Gardener's World (old git at 37!)
    Thanks again, Ged.

6. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ged

Glad to hear your'e happy with your new sub, I knew you would be.

I obviously don't know how you have your system setup but as it is now very much the same as mine a bit of food for thought:D

F - L&R set too large C set to small, R - L&R - small,sub crossover set to 50 (i have my volume on the sub set to about 10 o'clock) :eek:

I know this is contradictory to the 'norm' within this forum but after extensive testing myself and petrolhead (he's using Kef Q1's & a Q9C) have gone for this setup and feel you get more out of the front end, especially with the bigger fronts.

If you do get the chance your thought would be appreciated. It is all down to personal preference after all;)

Regards

7ThGuest

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    7ThGuest, I will try it out next week when Wifey goes back to the grindstone, feels a quiet and clutter free room is in need of building ! If I set C to small and sub to 50 what happens to the lower Hz of the Centre as my 3802 crossover is set to 100Hz ?
    Ged.

8. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When testing our setup there seemed to be no perceptible change to Centre channel, but with the crossover set to 50 the fronts tend to play a bigger part in the bass (obviously)reproduction then the heavy stuff is taken over by the sub. I have tried it numerous ways but at the end of the day everyone agrees it is down to personal preference.

Happy fiddling :D :D

7ThGuest

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The only thing that I would add is to also set you ctr to large.

Maybe worth a try 7th as thats how i have mine setup. That Kef Ctr can easerly take it and should give a better tonal ballance

10. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As always great master your advice is invaluable.

Your humble servant

7ThGuest

;)

11. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ged
    when you set up your sub set the crossover to to full and just use your 3802 to set the the cut off point for the sub.
    If you set the amp crossover to 100 hz and your C is set to small all that happens to the lower hz is that they will be re-directed to the sub. So if you were to set the sub to 50 hz and the amp to 100 hz you will be losing all the information from 50 to 100 hz.

Hope this is help :)

12. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Samir, I thought this would be so. 7ThGuest, I briefly tried the settings you suggested but found these gave a "fuller" sound;
    All speakers set to small, crossover on amp set at 100Hz, crossover on sub set to 150. I have noticed an increase in background rumble on TV than before, without it being too bass driven.
    Ged.

13. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The are so many permitations that you need to put asside some time to test and come up with a setting that suits YOU.

14. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Latest setting; had to turn down sub level on amp for stereo and direct mode as it was too much bass, -3db, I have left the setting for PL2, DD, DTS at 0db. Sounds good but her in doors not happy at the coffin in the corner, cue ear muffs !

15. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found mine makes a very nice combination coffee/chess table. Also I'm going to be getting a Servo-15 which is a whole heck of a lot bigger than the comparatively diddy PS1000. It's basically a half metre edged cube.
    Spare a thought for those with an HGS-18, they're absolutely enormous.

Good though.

16. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You could now upgrade it to an in house defib as well as chess board !!! ALL CLEAR-.....THUMP:)
    I had this many years ago running Cerwin Vega speakers until the Police paid one too many visits;)
    Slowly getting back on track to upgrade Heaven but payback time due to a new bathroom and little interest in overtime.