Paradigm: PDR10 v PS1000

nickyvicar

Established Member
Reaction score
As a shipment appears to be imminent at Richer Sounds, what advice would you have to the pros/cons of PDR10 v PS1000 in a general AV setup, living room 15' square, using Paradigm CC370, Mission m74is and Yamaha 620.

Also, any points to be aware of regarding sub connection?

Many thanks in advance,
Nick.

I,ve had a PDR10,and i'm currently using a PS1000 with 74i's.The PS1000 is a far better sub,but is also quite a bit bigger.Both connections are via a single phono lead via the amps output.If you've got the room i'd definately go for the PS1000.

Many thanks for the reply.

What is the size difference?

Room to accomodate is unlikely to be an issue, I'm more concerned whether the PS would be overkill in a room this size. Or are we talking more quality in addition to quantity?

don't worry about overkill, I use 2 pdr10s and a servo-15 in my 12ftx12ft room, it makes for effortless bass.

Go for the PS1000 if you have the required space, its got more bottom end and is less boomy. Its not easy to site it though and you may have to move it around quite a lot to find the ideal position. Also don't be tempted to have it set to high because this will not only make it boom but will shake your windows etc. A friend asked me to wack mine up to see just how far it could go, I got just past the halfway mark when things were rattling that much that a big picture fell off the wall. Mine is now set at just less than a quarter (settings will of course be different on your system) which sounds great but if I lived in a detached house I'd knock it up just a touch more.:D

I had the PDR10 and can recomment it. It certainly was not boomy in my environment and was easy to set up. It was situated in a corner in a 16 x 14 foot room. It was also not bad with music although I am not an audiophile :)

7thguest has the PS1000 and I find it hard to tell the difference but he tends to listen to HC at a low vol level

Yes, the PS1000 is a big sub... I mention it on my hifi page on my web-site.

As for shaking the floor etc... I moved into my mate's house while at uni, and I was using my ps1000 (I since sold it for 75 quid :( ) and we called a load of friends around to watch 007 - Tomorrow Never Dies and see my 5.1 DD setup and DVD player (which were still rare in those days) and to listen to my meaty new sub the size of a beer fridge :D . He had a big lounge and the house was a sturdy victorian one... But in the scene where the big missle comes down and obliterates the base the boom from sub was felt through the floorboords. The windows rattled, people had to shout to make themselves heard and everyone cheered and pointed out how you could really FEEL the bass... It was then that we noticed his bookshelf had collaped. :rotfl:

Yes, the PS1000 is a big sub, so do the right thing and turn it WAY DOWN!!:)

Yes, the PS1000 is a big sub, so do the right thing and turn it WAY DOWN!!
Or but a PDR10, save some money and turn it up :D

Both subs are good at the price, but they are much much better for HC than HiFi in my opinion. If you intend to listen to lots of music through the sub as well then I suggest you try it first or use the richer 14 day return guarantee. For bassy music Id rather just let my speakers handle it. I suppose this could illustrate the fact that I have found it hard to my PS1000 set up perfectly

However if you want the ability to shift air and shake the room - this really is one of the big (although not only) purposes of the .1 in HC then I would go for a PS1000. Neither of the subs are terribly refined but the PS1000 is awfully fun - it really shifts air. It definitely brings a smile to the face every time i see the THC lightning trailer at the beginning of films! I think the PDR10 is better suited to supplementing satellites that are weak on bass than for a full on HC subwoofer

Better to have the ability to break things in reserver and not use than stretch a small sub to its limits...At least that way you can crank it up every now and then...subwoofers are supposed to be fun!

Tim

I had a PS-1000 before getting hold of a cheapish REL Q200E.
I'm glad the REL was cheap as it *is* better than the PS-1000.... but not by a huge amount.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom