Paradigm PDR10 or PS1000 (owners advice please)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mug, Jul 16, 2002.

1. mug

mug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi

I am after either PDR10 or PS1000. My room is only 2.5m X 3m which one would suit my room better. Is the PS1000 a big step up from the PDR10 or are they roughly the same in the deepness of the bass.

Thanks

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which speakers will you be using it with?

You may find either a little over the top for a room as small as yours, and the PS1000 especially probably won't be easy to site - it's a bit picky anyway about positioning if you want to avoid boom (I used to own one), and it's not exactly discrete in size :).

I would look out for decent 8-10" sealed unit - you'll probably find such a unit a lot easier to get sounding right.
    But it does depend what other equipment you are using, how the room is laid out, what your expectations are... and so on etc.

In terms of the PDR10 vs PS1000, I'd say overall, the PS1000 is a better sub if you can accomodate it, but there's not a huge amount in it - if you need to stuff it in the corner for instance, I'd go for the PDR10 out of the two. Not that I'd probably go for either personally though!

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a PS1000 set up in a room about that size. I also had a PDR-10 in the same room before, so I thought I'd try and explain the difference between the two.
    The PDR-10 was much easier to set up, but would not go anywhere near as low as the PS-1000, once I finally positioned it right.
    However the PDR-10 was good value when matched with small bookshelf speakers (I had Paradigm Atoms as my fronts.) But for anything with better bass extension the PS-1000 is a much better match.

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    I had a PDR10, which worked very well when I positioned it next to the sofa, and it was more or less in a corner too.

Bass was very deep, and would transfer into the sofa giving loads of thump etc for explosions and those deep vibes you get during the action.

Positioning makes a difference, so you'll have to experiemnt a bit for best results. As mentioned, the bigger PS1000 will go deeper, but is larger.

Gary.

5. damolong

damolong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PS1000 currently in the corner of my room, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, it is a little boomy.

Trouble is, aesthetically it looks so much better tucked away.

Where have other people put theirs?

Cheers

6. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine is well out of the corner on the left wall.

You are right, it takes ages to set up well if you are inexperienced (like me) but it is well worth doing, much better than just sticking it anywhere and leaving the controls at the normal level :)

7. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine on the centre right as you look at the tv. Seems to work welland doesn't seem too boomy. It did take about a week or two to set up though!

LIDDERS