Paradigm PDR & PS subs

lynx

Senior Moderator
Solutions
Reaction score
A chap at work has been enquiring about the above subs.What are the differences between the series etc. Now i'm the first to admit i'm no authority on this, so over to the experts, do me proud. :)

The PDR range is the bottom of the line paradigm subwoofers. They are not that good in all honesty, though for the money, you can't do better. Personally, I would rather wait and save for a better sub
If you are going to get a budget sub, then the PS range is about as good as it gets for the least money. The PS1000 is best sub for £200-£250 price bracket; I know 'cause I've had one! I think the PS1200 is the same basic design but with a 12" driver rather than the 10" one found in the PS1000.
There is another sub called the PW2200. This is supposed to be a very good unit indeed, though I haven't heard one.

For more complete specifications go here

Russell

Hi Lynx,

Certainly no expert myself, however, I do have experience of both ranges albeit minimal.

Petrolhead has a PDR 10, nice compact, unit which delivers a very good amount of LF for the size of the unit, very punchy and clear. I was looking at one of these units to upgrade to instead of my JBL 125.

But then, along came apocolypse selling a psw 1000 :eek: :eek: a bit of a beast both size (it is nearly 18x18x18)and output. The PDR 10 does fall a lot short of this unit but for the comparable size and cost still a good little sub.

In fact petrolhead has recently upgraded to a Rel (don't know the exact model) and is using his PDR 10 for a second/rear sub to very good effect.

If you have the room/money and understanding wife go with a psw 1000 otherwise you probably won't be dissapointed with the PDR10.

Paradigm site:

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmProduct.html

Hope it helps

7ThGuest :)

I bought the PS1000 over the hols, it is a BIG box and a big, deep sound.
I have not been able to properly sort it out due to building work and stuff being every where.This was an upgrade from a PDR8 which worked better with a Sony 930 but lacked depth with my new 3802.
Ged.

Hi Ged,

Know what u mean, at first the 1000 was a bit boomy, wooden floors throughtout. I bought just a common or garden door mat (not particularly thick) and put that underneath - helped a lot. I also had a piece of marble lying about (as you do) and put that on top with a biggish lamp on top of that, again helped.

I have also tried putting foam in the rear ports, didn't like the sound at all. Mine also sits in a corner and doesn't seem to mind all.

I have front soundstage set to large and the sub crossover set at 50 Hz and the volume set to about 9:30 - 10:00. Anything more and I start getting a bit scared :D :D

Regards

7ThGuest ;)

Strangely, I too have a LOAD of granite sat outside due to the new kitchen being fitted, somehow though I am sure you know what she will say!:mad:

You can do some really artistic things with granite ;) bring a bit of luxury into you living room :D :D

Go on do it you know you must :devil:

Regards

7ThGuest

Marble looks quite good on top of a PS1000, really firms up the old enclosure a treat. Of course if granite's what you've got, then granite it is then.
7th Guest is yours just marble or something more interesting like mine (a chess board no-less, fun to watch the pieces move when it really goes low)?

Hi Evilmudge

Only marble I'm afraid, but your right it is fun to watch the Ikea standard lamp on top move around :devil:

Regards

Aidan

Originally posted by 7ThGuest
Hi Lynx,

But then, along came apocolypse selling a psw 1000 :eek: :eek: a bit of a beast both size (it is nearly 18x18x18)and output.

Shame on you 7Th Guest :), that's two threads now I've seen where you've called the PS1000 a PSW1000 which is a KEF sub I believe, are you puposely trying to confuse peeps :D j/k

I've had 2 x PS1000s and I tried the PS1200 at home too for a week, the 1200 is definitely an improvement in performance but it's a huge enclosure, similar size to an HGS18 (seriously). IMO nobody can compete with the bang for the buck performance of Paradigm speakers/subs in this country due to the huge discount RS sell them for..............................the catch is that you are more likely to win the lottery than to actually find one in stock, I've been waiting for a Paradigm Centre speaker for 5 months now :eek:

P.S - Can anyone find any proof of what a PS1000 costs in UK sterling (in printable form) as I need it for an insurance claim, thanks in advance.

Are you still waiting for your reference CC?

I'm thinking about PMing Nick Halliday and seeing if we can get a load of quality Paradigm stuff thrown into the next container coming over from Canada. Would be nice to complete my setup as well.

Originally posted by EvilMudge
Are you still waiting for your reference CC?

I'm thinking about PMing Nick Halliday and seeing if we can get a load of quality Paradigm stuff thrown into the next container coming over from Canada. Would be nice to complete my setup as well.

Hi m8,

Yep I'm waiting for the reference studio CC @ only £299, last I heard the next Paradigm shipment arrives in the UK early January, fingers crossed.

I'm also interested in the some rears from the reference range then I'll finally have a complete reference setup (my floorstanders are timbre matched to the current studio range). Any info you could get from NH would be very welcome, good luck.

Phil

Apoc I am suitable chastised :(

Must be the side effects of the drugs I'm on (medicinal purposes only you understand :D Just had my other hip renewed and am totally bionic now - below the waste that is, bring on the ladies :D :D )

It's still good to watch the lamp dance though!! simple pleasures.

Regards

Originally posted by 7ThGuest
Apoc I am suitable chastised :(

Must be the side effects of the drugs I'm on (medicinal purposes only you understand :D Just had my other hip renewed and am totally bionic now - below the waste that is, bring on the ladies :D :D )

It's still good to watch the lamp dance though!! simple pleasures.

Regards

I fear you :eek:

:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom