1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm PDR-10 vs Rel Q-50

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by agw_01, Mar 4, 2003.

1. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the option to get either sub.

What would you recommend for punchy, low bass?

It will be used mostly for music with the setup in my sig, but I will sometimes watch films.

Whatever sub I get, I will set all my speakers to SMALL, so I want something that will blend in with the 702es'.

Thanks

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you want "punchy" low bass (implies mid-bass) then set your fronts to LARGE and let the sub handle just the very lowest frequencies.

I'd imagine the Q50 is a far more musical sub and the PDR-10 is more of a boombox. Depends what you're after. I haven't heard either (although I own a Q100E) so can't really comment definitively, sorry.

Is the Q50 essentially identical to the Q100E with the exception of the amp and some cabinet details?

MuFu.

3. agw_01

agw_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers MuFu.

The Q50 does look very similar to the Q100E, so I would think that it might use the same driver.

Since I am going to use my setup to listening to music, I am unsure what to get.

However, my dad got an Eltax 10" sub from RicherSounds for £60 and he was very pleased with it. It doesn't boom too much, even when playing it loud.

He set his front speakers to SMALL (15 year old 12" Realistic bass drivers have started to die) and the sub happily fills out the bottom frequencies, thus saving his main drivers.

I have asked him to pick me up the same sub. I could spend a couple of hundred on a very good sub, but in my bedroom, it would just be wasted.

When I get my own place, and can afford it, I will then upgrade to a better sub if i feel the Eltax sounds naff.