1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm PDR-10 problems

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ultrawai, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Ultrawai

Ultrawai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

Can anyone out there help me with a vey annoying problem i have with my sub.
    The setup is fine with one sub phono input from the "sub out" on my Yamaha amp. When the sub is turned on at the socket, it proceeds to turn itself on and off standby mode at seemingly random intervals. Playing a film seems to make no difference to this although it happens a little less.
    Left on its own it will switch itself on and off into standby mode indicated by the led at the front of the unit. When it's on a slight buzzing noise can be heard from the driver.
    I have read the forums and noted options like feeding inputs into all the connections but my sub only has one. I have tried everything that i can do, and two emails to the paradigm service centre in canada have not resulted in any replies. I am at wits end!

I love this amp as the performance (when it works) is great for my setup and I really want to find the reason for this. Please anyone out there with any suggestions........help.

I can only hope that someone else has had the same problems and found a solution.

Tar very much folks for listening.

Ultrawai.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sounds very strange to me. I never had any trouble with the auto-on circuit when I had one of these.

Try turning everything off and removing all connections (ie. power lead at each end and interconnect at each end). Hopefully reseating everything might solve the problem.

Does it do the same thing with no signal connected at all? Remove the interconnect and leave it for a while to find out. If so it's definitely faulty or your mains supply is disastrous! Does it switch at the same time as a major household appliance such as your boiler?

You could also try increasing the sub volume at the amplifier end and turning it down at the sub end to compensate for that but from what you've said I don't think that will solve the problem.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

3. Ultrawai

Ultrawai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply Eviljohn2,
    The power supply is good as I have a special AV multisocket that cleans up the power before it gets to the equipment. Yes the Sub still switches on and off with the signal input cable removed! I will try to turn up the output on the amp and the gain down on the sub and let you know what happens.

I think I have a fauty auto on off and I have no idea how I am going to get that fixed! I emailed Paradigm again last night for the third time and still waiting for a reply!

Anyway I will keep trying.

Thanks all

Ultrawai ;)

4. valver

valver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have an old PDR-10 that in it's day I used lots and loved. Just resurecting it as I've got a new AV amp.

For the most part the sub works fine - but every now and then the sub makes a VERY loud hum/boom noise that just goes on and on. It makes no difference if the amp is connected to anything audio wise, it doesnt even have to be making any sound for it to suddenly just start booming - just be powered on. Flicking it off at the wall then obviously kills the loud noise. Turning it back on again immediately it might be well behaved for another hour or so , and then suddenly BRAAAARP! Take cover and dive for the off switch :)

It's not a ground loop - it's more like a capacitor or something has died of old age (total guess!)? Is that possible? Is it something I can fix?