Paradigm Millennia One speakers and Crossover setting

higgalls

Hey,
I have a 5.1 setup, with Paradigm Millennia One bookshelf speakers, and a Martin Logan Dynamo 700 Subwoofer. These are wired into a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1050 (I want to upgrade the receiver soon enough).
Anyway, the original recommendation from the shop I bought these from said to set the crossover for the speakers to 120Hz. Now I know that the THX recommendation is 80Hz, and I am also aware that it is a thing where you really should try and see what sounds best etc.
But I was wondering why the recommendation for those speakers in particular, would be to set it to 120Hz instead of the standard 80Hz?
The speakers have a rated frequency response of ±2 dB from 120 Hz - 20 kHz.
I don't know a lot about sound and crossover, so I am trying to get my head around it all.
Any assistance is appreciated.

highdefinitely

Standard Member
The speakers have a rated frequency response of ±2 dB from 120 Hz - 20 kHz.
That is the reason why the recommendation is 120Hz, because those (super small) speakers simply don't offer enough low end for the crossover to be set at 80Hz. If you set the crossover to 80Hz or lower, you will overburden them and likely have distortion at a relatively modest sound level.

The problem with the crossover being set that high is subwoofer localisation - it's easier to locate the subwoofer in the room the higher the crossover frequency is set at. 80Hz is the THX standard and has proven to be a good compromise for most (not all) situations - if your speakers can handle it.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom