1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm in UK - Has anyone bought/seen a demo?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rushers, Aug 23, 2005.

1. rushers

rushers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: It seems that Paradigm have entered the UK and European market. In Canada and the US they are known for their excellent quality and value and sell huge numbers. Has anyone got any thoughts and has anyone bought or had a demo. I see that liam and progressive av are retailing. I was particularly interested in their C9 AV package (Monitor7, Mini monitor, CC370, PS1000 sub).
    Tony

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Hello rushers

Early days yet with Paradigm in the UK - I got to see them all yesterday; and I mean ALL of the them!!!

Of course the Reference Signatures Series grab the eye - though even the Cinema Series look interesting.

Its going to take a while to actually listen to the whole range - and deciding on what to have for demo will be fun!!!

I think I'd be tempted by the ADP-370 for surround duties in a Monitor Series 5:1 set-up.

Best regards

Joe

3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Be intresting to see what sort of price the new Servo 15 will be.

Dare say it wont be the bargin it used to be...... :devil:

I bet it's up near, or possible over the £1000 mark.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Hello Chris

I hope your sitting comfortably!!!

Servo 15 v.3 - UK SRP £1,749.00
    Signature Servo - UK SRP £2,749.00 to £2,999.00 (depending on finish).

Best regards

Joe

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    OH my god....... :eek:

Dont think it will be so sort after as it used to.

I found a site in Oz the other week that was still selling the Servo 15a and converting their dollar to the pound it worked out to around £1100.

I dont think paradigum will make it big over here.....
    Just think how much the dealers must be making, if richer sounds were selling the gear so cheap and still makeing a profit.... :eek:

6. skinnyfat

skinnyfat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've had Paradigm's here in SA for quite a few years now and seem to be competitively priced. My friend purchased his Monitor 11 v.3 three months ago for ZAR 9500.00 which I think equates to about GBP 825.00.

Overall they are very nice indeed. Powerful, open soudstage and very strong bass, in fact a little overpowering for my ears(not my cuppa tea), others may love it. I did notice a little port 'chuffing' when pushed hard but that could have been placement and as I said only when pushed.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Why? Paradigm have a very large range of models and the Servo15 is their flagship sub and was always considered under-priced in the UK when RS were selling them. :)

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Chris: Who knows how much Richer were paying for their Servo's in comparison to the new distrbutor......or even if it was the same quality of product being supplied......It's a big step up in price from where they were certainly but the new distributor is not one I'd class as a rip off merchant....

Gordon

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I'm not saying that the new dealers/distributor's are rip off merchants....
    They are pricing them as directed by paradigum's recommended pricing.....
    But then it does make you think..........is there some kind of price fixing going on by paradigum.
    It's not as if richer sounds just had a one off shipment, of one certain item.......they sold quite a few paradigum products, both in the speaker range and the sub range for a few years and if there was a product of paradigums that you wanted, but was not in stock, then they would get it for you, still at a good price.
    There were loads of rumours, that the products were returns or defective seconds etc etc.......and there were a few people that had probs with the servo15 turning up DOA, but on the whole most of the items were New and working.
    Just seems to me that paradigum were not happy as being seen as a low end bargin product sold from a cheap hifi store, compared to how they were distributed around the rest of the world.
    Maybe the new dealers might not be makeing a killing on these, but someone must be and good luck to them.................wish i had share's in paradigum.

10. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    But how many people are really going to pay the new higher price for them.
    It was well under priced when compared to how much it cost's in the rest of the world, just like the rest of the range was.

I doubt i would get much intrest, if i was to put mine in the classifieds for £800 each, evern thow they are prob worth it.

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    But the Servo 15 is now a completely new model. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if some of the new PW or PS series gave the old model it a run for it's money around the £500 mark a bit like the current Velo CHT series. They won't have the ultra-low distortion levels provided by the expensive accelerometer but should be a match in terms of output and fun.
    We can hope so anyway as I'm just speculating. :)

12. rushers

rushers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke Liam at progressive, he is very upbeat both regarding quality and price. He says at the moment the pricing is "silly". I spoke to him regarding a setup of Monitor 7 fronts, ADP170 or 370 rears, I thought the PS 1000 sub but he said the cube sub was way better and for only 150 pounds more. At +\- 1800-2000 pounds this seems pretty good. As a comparison he felt that this set up was way more than 2 times as good as the AE evo which is obviously somewhere round 950 pounds.
    I was under the impression that paradigm made very good top end stuff, but where they really shone was in the mid range price bracket where quality and price were excellent. I certainly know that in RSA they are much more competetively priced than AE. The AE evo and the above system are quite similiar in cost, with the Paradigm as aove about 250-300 quid more.
    Tony

13. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you have not already read the subwoofer test on the other forum......not aloud to say the name i think.... :nono: , then you should do....
    They have tested the new signature servo and it was not much of an improvement over the servo 15a, so i doubt if the others have improved that much.............although i would love to get a demo and find out..... :devil:

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Paradigm make a large range of speakers from budget through mid price to some quite expensive stuff although everyone here seems to think that they just make subwoofers.

An interesting review of the servo 15 from an independent and unbiased source can be read at Secrets of home Theater whilst the Reference Studio 20 Bookshelf and CC-470 Center Channel Speakers are reviewed by the same magazine here