Papst 8412 NGL - Really 12dB?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AndyH, Jun 11, 2002.

1. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

I'm on a mission to silence my new PC, and I'm thinking of changing my £2.50 EverCool 80mm fans (one at front, one at back) with these Papst fans.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Papst_Fans_61.html

(the first in the list)

This must be really quiet at 12dB - I reckon my Evercool are around 25 from what I read on the web.

Thoughts on whether this would be a worthwhile £20?

Cheers!
    Andy

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you sure it's them rather than the fan in your power supply and/or CPU cooler that are causing the most noise?

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,119
    Yup those Papst fans are sweet.

I got some and they are quiet, so quiet I cannot hear them above my PSU :)

If you want an ultra quiet PC a lot of modders will replace their fan on the heatsink with one of these. Some I have known to even replace their PSU fans with 'em. I prefer to have a little bit more ooomphh in my fan, but they make excellent case exhausts to help the PSU + Chip.

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sinzers points are well made. I have a couple of these fans and they are really quiet. BUT the airflow is titchy compared with even the modestly more noisy ones.

5. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi,

Richard - I'm kinda into 'every little bit helps' at the moment. I've changed from a £10 CoolerMaster CPU heatsink / fan to a copper GlobalWin one. That got rid of a slight rattly annoying noise, but the ever present whirr was still, er, ever present.

I've taken out the PSU and popped it in my old PC (that was very very quiet), and it remained very very quiet - so I'm less inclined to replace that.

When I'm brave enough to re-attempt it, I'd like to remove the Northbridge fan (the fan header was not happy about coming off) and put a passive heat sink on (again, every little bit helps!).

And finally, I'm afraid I have confirmed the pair of hard disks to be a fair contributor.. not a lot I can do about that as I can only put them in 3.5" bays. So no chance of putting them in muffling boxes.

Oh, and as for reduced airflow - mm, well, I'll be monitoring - system reports 30 degree C, CPU 46.5 degrees - so I reckon I've got a bit of headroom as I'm not overclocking.

Anyone got any other classic tips? I still think my dangling flannel over the back of the PSU fan (though obviously not blocking - I wedge it between the power lead and back of the desk) is doing a great job of acoustic dampening!! :)

6. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Zalman or Molex cpu fans really help. As for the hard disks, the mounting frame can act as an acoustic amplifier. If silent sleeves really aren't an option you could try to isolate it or them from the cage. Otherwise, if the budget will take it, get a quieter drive. E.g. Seagate Barracuda. It is also worth looking at your current hard disk manufacturers web site. Some, E.g. IBM provide a downloadable utility which can be used to tweak some drives for maximum performance or lowest noise.

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    I lost over 5dbs of noise from my psu by replacing the psu's 80mm fan with a Papst one - it's the same as a case fan.

Very quiet pc, and no problems. I replaced the cpu fan with a quiet radial fan, and now it's very quiet indeed.

Gary.

8. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I run 24v papst fans at 12v. Very quiet and still a reasonable amount of airflow (well, for a P4's requirements, probably not for an AMD)