Paperboy/girl - wages?

breakersrevenge

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Some of you must have kids that have a paper round!!

whats thge going rate, as in wages?

Not much, depends how big the round is and is it one of the free papers or for a newsagents? probably around £10.

I used to get £10 per week for doing a morning paper round, that was about 8-9 years ago

I also did an evening round, which was £6.50 per week (less papers)

The best part was Christmas and the tips. If you delivered the papers well enough (which I did :smashin: ) you could get nearly £200 in tips.

I set the record for most tips at the papershop, and the record still stands :clap:

The best part was Christmas and the tips. If you delivered the papers well enough (which I did :smashin: ) you could get nearly £200 in tips.

I set the record for most tips at the papershop, and the record still stands :clap:
That never happened to me when I was a kid. What did you do? Knock on the door and say "as its xmas..."? :confused: :D :rolleyes: (rolleyes at me)

About 5 years ago my mother asked the local newsagent about them for me, when she got home she told me they paid £1 a day mon - sat, an hour a day delivering plus sorting beforehand, if you turned up all 6 days then you got a 50p bonus, i just laughed.

That never happened to me when I was a kid. What did you do? Knock on the door and say "as its xmas..."? :confused: :D :rolleyes: (rolleyes at me)

I just delivered such an outstanding service, that the customers felt obligied to reward me for :smashin:

It was 14 years ago (god I am getting old), I used to get £2.85 for Saturday and Sunday, I had to give him an extra 10p for a copy of Sega Power.

Haha i got £10 per week, that was a morning round about 4 years ago. I just gave everyone a christmas card, and then i reckon i got about £160 in total one year. Aww it just feels so little compared to working one shift now as a waiter where i can get up to £50 :)

West End General Stores pay 10 quid per round, 6 mornings or nights. 4 quid sundays.

Not usually more than 20 papers, and most rounds should take 30 - 45 mins.

The biggest problem is getting the people who wants to get their papers delivered to pay a decent delivery charge. That play merry hell when you ask for a pound for morning, night and sunday deliveries. Its an absolute bargain, and the profit on papers just does not cover it.

The only reason its worth keeping on is for the "goodwill" newsheet, makes the business worth more

When i did it about 5 years ago i got £17 a week for about 30 papers a day.

Also i was the only one that the manager could remember never to get a complaint(But only got about £20 tips)

You should of seen the manager begging me to stay when i left he was actually on the floor:eek:

It depends on the paper shop to a large degree, when I did my paper round (nearly twenty years ago now :eek:) the first shop I worked for paid £6 for a weeks worth of work. After a year or two I moved to another paper shop that paid about £30 per week. It was a tiny round as well during the week, less than 30 papers in the morning, at most 9 at night but two full bags worth on a Sunday. :( I was paid more for the distance with it (that and it was in a good area so they couldn't get local kids to do it), I had to cover four or five miles.

I got £14.50 a week for doing 30 papers mon - sat morning, 50 on a sunday morning and 45 mon - sat evening. This was 14 years ago mind! I remember thinking how it was loads of money! used to have to do 2 trips on a sunday morning because of the sheer weight of the telegraph which was popular on my route.

I did it for 4 years and I only got attacked once tho If you count close encounters with a poodle then hundreds of times.

I think a paper round is a great way of installing the value of money into youngsters. I remember saving my paper money for 6 months to but a new mountain bike which got nicked from the back of the shop 2 weeks later.:(

I got £3 a week for 90 papers seven years ago. :rolleyes: I got about 40p for each different type of leaflet. The most I ever earned in a week was around £5. After two months I decided my skills were worth more than that, so I gave up.

I had my fingers nipped through letter boxes, and people telling me to f*** off.

I got 6.50 for 3 sunday rounds about 13 years ago :rolleyes: .

And I used to sell the 'pink' sports paper on saturaday nights for 5.00. Wandering into pubs with a luminous paper bag and a spotty face isnt a good look. Believe me.

When i did it about 5 years ago i got £17 a week for about 30 papers a day.

Thats a better wage than im on now !. Where is this place?

I have a paper round at the moment. I get about 6 pound on average every week for delivering 100 newspapers on a wednesday. Thanks for giving me the tip of christmas cards,, i'm going to do that :thumbsup:. For every 100 leaflets i get about 40p i had 10 last week :eek: Tiring!! Lol

I used to do a morning one and get £16 a week for delivering about 10papers a day all by where I lived :) Took like 20minutes including getting the papers from the shop.

My brother does the adscene one and delivers 300 papers and gets around £10 a week.

As a total aside:

We attended the national newsagents federation awards in London this year (my wife runs a newsagents).

This included 'paperboy' of the year award.

This year the award was one by a boy who had been asked by his father

Father: 'why is your iPod all burnt looking'

boy :' Oh that's from the fire'

Father : ' What FIRE ?'

boy : 'the one where I rescued the old couple'

It turns out the police had been looking for the boy, to award him a bravery award. He'd spotted smoke coming out of some sheltered accommodation whilst doing his round - kicked the door, down dragged the old couple to safety, called the fire brigade and the police and contacted the housing manager, and then of course finished his round. Cheque for £500 and a new bike was awarded.

Only downside was the prize was sponsored by the Daily Mail, who were supposed to present it - they all got up and left when the Daily Express beat them earlier in the evening.

About a yr ago i got £9.50 for doing 19 papers and the houses were quite close together so not too far too walk. it took me anout 30 -45 minutets i thought the money was good for the amount of papers i got. But soon i mite be gettin a job which pays 12.00 for 34 papers which is even better. if you want to do a paper round just call (01952) 242424 and they will ask for your name, age , DOB, and address and they will get bk to u becuz at the momment they are jus taking names and that and when they have an available job they should call u . x (hope this info helps)

About a yr ago i got £9.50 for doing 19 papers and the houses were quite close together so not too far too walk. it took me anout 30 -45 minutets i thought the money was good for the amount of papers i got. But soon i mite be gettin a job which pays 12.00 for 34 papers which is even better. if you want to do a paper round just call (01952) 242424 and they will ask for your name, age , DOB, and address and they will get bk to u becuz at the momment they are jus taking names and that and when they have an available job they should call u . x (hope this info helps)

Wouldn't you have to be in the 01952 (Telford) area?

Or is this spam? :confused:

Maybe things have changed since I last did a round, we didn't used to commute!

I remember getting up at 5am on a sunday to do a few rounds, all those heavy Sunday Times to carry :thumbsdow

£9.50 / 19 = 50p a paper

£12.00/ 34 = 35p a paper

Sounds more like child exploitation than a better job :D

Dave

That's the switchboard for the Shropshire Star... so it probably helps if you're in Shropshire.

Back in 1971 I used to start at 5am, help mark up all the morning papers then deliver my round. I did an evening round too and collected the paper money on Friday night; Thursday was TV & Radio Times. Sunday morning was a killer as I had 2 bags of papers to deliver. I'd do them one at a time as they were both overfull. One bag was for local farms and each had at least 6 papers which each included colour supplements.

All for £10 per week. Christmas tips usually around £120.

Local paper did not come today as it usually does on Friday

Maybe caught up in the monsoon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom