Paper Mario Sticker Star

splinters69

Distinguished Member
So impressed by this game, thought I would share it with you guys especially if, like me, you were put off by average reviews or false information.

The game takes the best of Paper Mario and the 3D games and throws in the stickers as a means of fighting. More than this though, they are used for puzzle solving. Now I hate turn based strategy games but love this. At the moment I am in a level remininscent of Luigis Mansion...in a snow world that I reached after a jungle level...you get the idea.

One reviewer hated the game because stickers have one use and, if you use them incorrectly, they are lost.

Utter tosh.

You can get them back again any time or buy them later on in the game. I am about 80% through and have only died a few times due to poor planning when taking stickers to a battle.

So, if you like Mario, quirky games and puzzles and dont mind turn based battles, this really is a great game and one of the best looking on the system IMO.

And you have to love the way the metallic stickers change like the real thing as you tilt the system...:D

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
I got halfway through and got a bit bored of it. The sticker puzzles were good, and the 3D effect looked great but the lack of experience points meant battles were a bit pointless and thus got annoying really quickly. I also preferred the more open level structure of Paper Mario and TTYD rather than the individual stages on this game. I know they're better suited to portable play but I always prefer to play my 3DS in bed or on the sofa while the telly's on rather than when I'm out and about. I felt the same about Luigi's Mansion 2's levels.

I'm really looking forward to Mario & Luigi Dream Team though. And hopefully Intelligent Systems are working on a deeper Mario RPG for Wii U.

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Fair points mate but I did enjoy the 'search' for the HP-UP hearts as a substitute for levelling up. I can see why this game would alienate those who like traditional RPG's but that's my point; I don't like that sort of game yet love this. I also enjoyed Luigis Mansion and would put it as my second favourite 3DS game so far this year (after Paper Mario).

Last edited:

Daft Ada

Distinguished Member
Yeah, it's still full of nice Nintendo touches (the shiny sticker thing was genius!) and fair play to the developers for shaking things up a little.

splinters69

Distinguished Member
The way they 'shimmer' as you tilt the console is genius.

I guess I like this as its more of an adventure game than an RPG. I actually find the battles quite tedious but love the puzzle solving and working out which stickers open up new areas, freeze lava, melt snow etc.
Pretty sure it covers all the major worlds from Mario as well so lots of Nintendo references in there.
Like I said, loving it and I played the Wii version but prefer this on the go.
Hopefully will finish it before DKC arrives.

johnhy

I finished it last month. Scary amount of hours!
I must admit i used a walkthrough at certain points to help me when I got stuck on some of the puzzles.
Loved it though I'd definitely recommend it.

Miss Mandy

Been thinking of getting this as a few people have recommended it to me.
Is it a keeper, do you think?
It seems to be around £32 everywhere so I was going to get it from Game as I've got reward points to use up. It's the same price on the website for both formats, but don't want to get the digital version if its got no longevity or replay value.

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Best get the cart then mate but its a great game...replay depends on whether or nit you want to fill the sticker museum...that could take a while.

Miss Mandy

Well I've gone with a cart copy from the classifieds, seems better value at £26 and allows me to lend it to my sister too.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
Managed to get this for £16 earlier due to the seller listing it as "Super" Mario instead of "Paper", I guess it didn't show up on searches.

I never played the original Paper Mario really so not sure what to expect. I keep seeing mixed reviews so hopefully I'll be in the camp that likes it.

addyb

Distinguished Member
I rented it from lovefilm (last game before cancelling my sub) didn't really get on with it myself. Its an ok game but found it a bit bland.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom