PAP or PIP workaround for Sony Bravias?

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by coldpenguin, Feb 10, 2009.

1. coldpenguin

coldpenguin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I chose the sony bravia kdl-46w4500 LCD over the panasonic 50" plasma with satellite/freesat built in, purely on the basis that the picture quality of the 2 sonys I had seen on, far out-weighed the picture quality of all 3 of the panasonics I had seen (all in different shops).

On paper, the two screens can do similar things, one of the items I wanted was PAP or PIP functionality, which they both do.

Unfortunately I think I may have made a boo-boo. In my mind the version of PAP (or PIP) on the Sony is not fully functional.
    What I wanted was for a picture from an HDMI channel, to be displayed alongside (or in) another picture from another HDMI channel (or composite). Unfortunately, the only option on the telly is for the second picture to be analogue or digital TV only (which seeing as I have a digital satellite connection, ain't a lot of use).

Does anyone know of a workaround to this? To allow me to display a composite image on the second display?

On the Panasonic I believe that this is indeed possible (my parents one certainly is, but it is no longer a valid model),
    Gareth

2. alsina

alsina

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +605
    There may be a workaround, but it would be useful to know exactly what you are trying to connect to the tv?

3. coldpenguin

coldpenguin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, thought the connection types would be good enough.

Primary source will be a 1080p HDMI PC connection (again, am disappointed that the VGA input is not 1080p, but I suppose no-one is going to advertise that fact).
    Secondary source will be a WII games console.

that will cover 90% of the time that I would want to use PAP.
    Other options will be primary source being HDMI satellite box, or HDMI blueray.
    Although I have other items that I would want to connect (such as scart DVD) I think that these are too low a priority to care about.

Thanks,
    Gareth

4. Psikis

Psikis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    there is no workaround. one pic is analog, another is whatever. you can't replace analog. this is sooooo dissapointing. basically it is useless feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009