pany svga input...what they dont tell you..

spinner

Established Member
Reaction score
funny how none of the rgb to svga conversion box people dont mention that on panasonic plasmas (maybe others) when using the svga input you loose the "colour" and the "black extension" modes on the menu....very anoying if you want to tone the colour down slightly....be warned

spinner said:
funny how none of the rgb to svga conversion box people dont mention that on panasonic plasmas (maybe others) when using the svga input you loose the "colour" and the "black extension" modes on the menu....very anoying if you want to tone the colour down slightly....be warned

Is this the JS Scart to VGA thing?
I'll be using that to connect my NTL box to my panasonic.
Would it be better to just buy a scart input panel?

Does going through VGA like this have any advantages?

rafaqat, the price difference between the Scart board and the VGA convertor is negligible (should have read noticeable) and the scart will produce a much softer picture, very few people have commented on the redness so it's not normally an issue for most but does exist. I would definately recommend the VGA convertor - most people swear by it and most people dislike the Scart board(occasional use only for a secondary device).

Instead you could buy an RGB to component convertor and a component board and connect to the plasma that way which should also give a great picture and full colour functionality. Not much about this on the forum probably because it doubles the cost as you have to buy both the convertor and a board.

simonwim said:
DO NOT GET THE SCART PANEL!!

While yes you loose the colour control on the VGA input its WAY better quality, and once you get used to the colour(not that it bothered me one bit) its excellent

regards
Si

Ok, so it's not that the redness is way off it's just a bit on the strong side then? i.e It's still a nice pic?

The only thing going through the converter will be the NTL box which the wife uses mostly and she's no cinema buff (neither am I to be honest).

I'll be buying a component board as well to connect my consoles up (all three will be outputting component, through a switcher).

My question now is, is the Panny 42" PW6 the right plasma for NTL and Games?

I notice some other plasmas have these DCDi farouda type functionality that is supposed to help with the picture but the pannies make no mention of it. The plasma will be mostly used for NTL broadcasts (wife and kid bigger users of the TV than I). I'll be using it occasionally for Games and the odd DVD here and there.

The TV has to be 42 and it's going up on the wall. I can get a Panny pw6 with all the bits I needs for under 2K, I can get an LG 11x for 1700. Samsung PS42D4SXX for about 2200 (maybe cheaper if I look online).

Recommendations?

Colour controls don't work on an RGB signal anyway. Try it - with any TV set to an RGB source, try adjust the colour setting on the TV. It doesn't change the picture at all. The colour setting is there for composite/S-video/component only.

Black extension is also not needed for a high quality signal input source, such as is the case hear. This function is of more relevance for adjusting NTSC signals, where the picture performance is notoriously variable.

spinner said:
RGB is just that exact levels or RED GREEN and BLUE You should not be adjusting this at panel!
If any adjustment is to be made it is at the Source end. By changing the colours you are not seeing the true picture.
PS VGA is an RGBHV signal!

spinner said:
funny how none of the rgb to svga conversion box people dont mention ..............

Pretty sure that if you'd done a search here that you would have found that info. I definately knew I'd lose colour and black extension controls before I bought mine, and all my hc buying decisions have been based on this board.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom