1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pany PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, Oct 13, 2004.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    Finally narrowing my choice and my wife has now said she doesn't care about the lack of tuner so the Pany PW6 and PW7 have popped into view.

I've read the long threads speculating/discussing the differences between the PW6 and PW7 and whether they are worth it.

However, looking at the retailers I still a little confused.

QUESTION 1
    Is the PW7 available now ?

The reason I ask is that some retailers say they have it in stock whilst other say it is coming at the end of the year. Also all the ones that have it in stock show a picture and specification that appears identical to the PW6. This is even true of the Panasonic site.

For example, informed posters have stated that the PW7 will have upto 2048 shades allowing upto 8 billion colours whereas the specs I have seen are still quoting 1024 shades/1 billion colours.

QUESTION 2
    I understand that general consensus is that the Pany has one of the best pictures out there and I also understand that you shouldn't just count pixels. However, I am concerned whether it is sensible to invest in a 480 line television given that HD will be out in the next 2-4 years. I appreciate that the 480 lines are not interlaced but doesn't HD require 768 lines. Doubly confusing for me is that the PW7 is being described as supporting HD through optional terminal cards - how is this so?

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Q1 , yes it is available now

Q2, the Pw7 will downscale a HD image to display it, it will look better than the current SD picture that you get, even though it will be downscaled, so in effect it is 'HD ready', and why it is marketed so.

3. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Hi all

Just to clarify the above.

As Leigh_1973 says - the Panasonic TH-42PW7 (silver) is currently available.
    The TH-42PWD7 (Charcoal) will be released by Panasonic in the not too distant future although our Panasonic Rep cannot give any release dates at this stage.

The only other bit of news is that the 37" Charcoal (TH-37PWD7) has now been released although there are limited stocks at the moment.

regards

Alastair :hiya:

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    Thanks,

What about specifications? A previous post has quoted

- Gradient level have been bumped up from 1024 - 1536 shades to 1536 - 2048 shades, making the 7th Gen able to create 3-8 billion colours, up from previous 1 billion.
    - Improved Burn-in resistance now on par with CRT displays (claimed by Panasonic)
    - 10% Brighter Panel (700ish ccd/m2) but uses less power (negligible)
    - Improved Adaptive Gain Control
    - Motion Picture Disturbance Noise Reduction
    - 3D Colour Management System (OFF by default)
    - Better I/P conversion (i.e. better internal de-interlacer)
    - upto 4X digital zoom, up from previous 3X
    - Up to 4 x 4 multi-screen configuration, up from 3 x 3.
    - Now supports a variety of 7th generation expansion boards including SDI/HD-SDI, HDMI, Wireless, Ethernet Mediabox Distribution, Plug-in PC and other exotic expansion boards plus full backward compatibility with Gen 6 expansion boards.
    - New Japanese language menu option

but specs on retailer sites and even the Panasonic site do not agree with this and are quoted specs similar to PW6 - which is correct ?

Cheers,

Nigel

5. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wonder if anyone can actually confirm that the PW7 is now burn in resistant....

On the 6 series this is supposed to be next to neligble anyway..

6. TonyPrince

TonyPrince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After 3 years of constant use my PW3 is as good as new. No screen/logo burn. From day one I used the default Normal/contrast/brightness settings ie no special burn-in measures.

I go via Svideo from sky+ to the PW3. Great PQ, virtually non existent banding/motion blur. Grass on football near perfect. Only minor problem is a little smearing round red shirts (espesially Man Utd). Overall PQ as good if not better than my daughter's Sony 36" CRT (also from Sky+)

My DVD goes via Component Video. Picture perfect.

Well done Panasonic

7. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm due to take delivery of my PW7 tomorrow or Friday .... I'll keep you all posted - esp. regarding burn in.

Cheers,

ZedZed

8. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nheather.
    I went through the same minefield of info regarding the PW7 and PW6.
    The US panisonic website has a brochure for the PWD7 which quotes the increase to 2048 shades, 3.6 billion colours, motion picture disturbance reduction, 10% brighter panel etc, etc.
    But this did not seem to match with what the dealers were saying on the spec of ther PW7.
    So I then spoke to Panasonic themselves. They told me that none of those extra features were in the UK version and they would be limited to the US and probably Japan versions of the PW7. :mad:

The panasonic techi then went on to say that the spec would be pretty much identical to the PW6, but with a slight screen improvements, including a greater resistance to burn in. Oh and the HDMI support of course.

I've now bought a PWD6 on the back of this info, and it is great.
    Hope this helps.

9. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you serious? So basically they did not change the glass at all since all those features were all related to the newly developed glass Panasonic's been putting all those R&D $$ into and implemented in every single gen 7 product in US and Japan (PHD7UY for US, PHD7 and Viera PX300 for Japan).

Maybe its the case with PW7 but I hope everything changes for the PHD7. It is a bit odd that Panasonic would suddenly want to screw Europe (and of course Australia) so bad by not providing us with the latest glass.

Then again, Panasonic Europe/Australia are no more than sales offices and those people most of the time doesn't know crap anyway. Well fingers crossed that when the full gen 7 gets to Euro/AUS, we won't just get a rehashed product like we got with the Viera product line (rejected crap from Japan 1.5 years ago and no longer in production in Japan).

FYI Gen 7 has been available in Japan since July and October in USA.

10. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Was it a techie or a "customer support" person? I've heard it said that Panasonic aren't good at keeping their UK team abreast of all that's going on!

Anyhow - at only a few hundred quid difference between the PW6 and PW7 (silver versions) I decided I'd just go the PW7 anyway. Even if it doesn't have those features listed above it's still gonna have a great picture and some extra bits and pieces that might be useful (HDMI etc.). And it's selling for roughly what the PW6 was 3 months ago - so can't really complain :)

ZedZed

p.s. AV-sales just called - delivery will be tomorrow :D

11. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ZedZed:

Seriously none of us should take this crap from Panasonic. If they didn't change the glass of the PWD7, it does not deserve the 7th gen tag. I mean sheesh, if you don't upgrade the glass of the plasma when the technology is already available to 2 other major markets, there had better be a good excuse and I doubt they have any (or is the true gen7 panels just "too good" for us 3rd class citizens of Europe/Oceania). :mad:

12. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I agree it's not good - UK consumers get ripped off on all sorts of things (CDs, electronics, xbox games, etc.) - and I'm not happy about that. My point is though that I was happy to pay 2k a few months back for a PW6, so can't really complain if that gets me a slightly improved screen (on the PW7).

Am I p*ssed that other countries get a better deal from Panasonic? Absolutely. Is there a quality alternative to the PW7 (or 6) for the same money (in the UK)? I don't think so - so the only option is the Panasonic. Of course I'd rather have all the "new stuff" that the US/Japan gets - but in the end I can only buy the best available in the UK. (unless I import!)

If I boycotted all manufacturers who take advantage of UK consumers I'd probably be sitting at home in an empty house! :zonked:

ZedZed

p.s. I'm getting my plasma tomorrow - don't rain on my parade :D

13. AdamF

AdamF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can i join your parade Zed, I'm getting mine on Friday. Needless to say i have the day off work.

14. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Course ya can mate - the more the merrier :)

I've not got the day off though - just popping home to take delivery of it and then setting it up Thursday night! If it arrives tomorrow morning I'm gonna be watching the clock all day just waiting for 5 p.m.!

ZedZed

15. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to panasonic technical and customer support on my quest for plasma heaven.

Just wanted to add that I would've bought the PW7 too, even without all those improvements. But I had stretched my budget too far as it was that even 10p more was not possible! :laugh:
    I'm sure the PW7 glass at the very least is an improvement on the PW6, especially as they quote the improved burn resistance.
    I've always found it a bit frustrating how certain countries get higher spec products, usually at cheaper prices too just to rub it in a bit more. But such is life I suppose. Most of us do live in rip off Britain after all :laugh:

16. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is it definitely new glass? I just wondered if they were reducing burn in by having a mode which shifts the picture by a few pixels every now and then? Or some other electronic gadgetry?

Seems crazy that they'd improve the panel for some regions and not others (surely it's harder to run factories with different setups for different screens?). Retailers - do any of you know why we're not getting the improvements seen in the US/Japan?

ZedZed

17. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The panisonic technical guy told me the glass was 'improved' from the PW6. Which I suppose you can take as new glass.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Or as Cheaper to make........ Panny are part of a huge group and have plants all over making stufff for all over i guess they have more than one plasma manufacturing facility and each one will probably make slightly different verions...

19. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The burn-in resistance for US/JP models are achieved by using a new phosphor type and not by some cheap magic trick which leads me to question Panasonic UK's integrity on the "burn-in resistance" issue. First of all it is not advertised, secondly if they did put in this new phosphor type, you'd think all the rest of the features including 10% brighter + 3-8x more colours would naturally follow on from the new phosphor.

As far as I know, Panasonic never have gone out of their way to screw Euro/Aus like this, so I'm hoping this is just a temporary thing with their PWD7 silver range only. Btw, PWD7 is not available in Australia yet which is quite strange since we get things very close to the UK release date. JAN 2005 is the release date for the full range of gen7 in Australia (according to reliable Panasonic Australia source). I suppose this is similar to UK.

hornydragon:
    Possibly cheap to make and possibly excess stock? Panasonic Japan have bene producing 7gen glass since May/June this year, I assume they cannot make enough panels to meet the demand due to limited production of true 7gen glass so they are using old 6gen facilities to prevent a major under supply of their product in "less important territories" (hence why overseas Viera was released with 6gen glass when 7gen glass was already available on Japanese Vieras PX300 series). To Panasonic, their priority is Japan --> US ---------> Europe --> Australia.

20. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hmmm. Would be strange if they'd make PW7s with PW6 glass/technology and just put a PW7 badge on them. What's the point in that? Why not just leave them selling as PW6s? (which everyone was happy to buy at around 2k!).

Does anyone have an contacts that work for Panny (outside the UK) that could verify what's going on?

ZedZed

p.s. I'll let you all know tomorrow what my PW7 manual says about burn-in etc. etc.

21. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've had my PW7 for two weeks now and am very impressed with the picture from both TV and Video. The manual devotes 2 pages to "preventing an after image through use of a screensaver, wobbling & peak limit. The fact these devices exist would suggest to me that screen burn is still a lot more likely on this plasma than on a CRT. I would be slightly annoyed like everyone else if there really is no difference at all except for the HDMI board but as with zedzed I still would have bought the PW7 as it's not that much of a premium for a new model. Also I note AV Sales have put their prices up very slightly - so I actually paid less than those ordering today :thumbsup:

For those getting their PW7's this week I would be interested to hear what you think about the screen and what you think are the best settings. I've already clocked up 150 hours (been on study leave :laugh: ) so will shortly be reverting to correct settings. I have already tried AVIA which appears to set brightness and contrast at around +1 and sharpness way down at -7 to -9.

22. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    Well just got off the phone from Panasonic. The lack of knowledge they have about their own products is so infuriating.

I spoke to Jane and asked her the difference between the PW7 and PW6. She compared the two specs and eventually said that there didn't appear to be any difference at all.

When I suggested 'tongue in cheek' that they must be sticking PW7 badges on their old stock she said she would go and ask the technician.

After some time she came back with the definitive answer ....

the PW6 can take 3 terminal boards, whilst the PW7 can only take 2!

"So the PW7 is worse" I suggested .... "It seem's so" she said

"What about HDMI terminal board support" I asked .... "What's HDMI?, I can only just repeat what the technician said" she replied.

Cheers,

Nigel

23. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 37" PW7 can only take 2 terminal boards, but I think the 42" could still take 3? I may be wrong. :)

24. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There are 3 slots in the back of mine. I think its going to be a long time before we have a definitive answer as to what the differences are (if ever as the point will be mute when they run out of PW6s). It would be interesting to see some professional reviews - I assume that will be in the next couple of weeks? Or perhaps even better if some of the more experienced members of this forum had the two together to compare.

25. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What I find a bit strange is that the panels have been getting sold for a few weeks now and no one (retailer/expert) has been able to verify what features it has (or did I miss that post?). There was a general feeling of "evolutionary not revolutionary" comments before it was officially on sale - but since then - not very much.

Anyhow ... it can't /really/ be worse than the PW6 (although I've heard that the PW5 maybe wasn't as good at the PW4????)

Just searched a few retailers websites - and none mention any of the "new" features mentioned earlier in this thread. They do mention a "new Quasi 100Hz system" - anyone know what that is about?

ZedZed

26. markbigears

markbigears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    "new Quasi 100Hz system" is also on my TH42PA20 so its not a new thing

27. mseabroo

mseabroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The difference in specification between the UK and US/JP models may not be related to the actual generation of the glass in the PW7 units at all.

Its probable that the PW7 really does have the 7 series glass but that the limitation in the number of colours / greyscale supported is in the electronics that drives the panel itself.
    If the vidoe processing cant handle the additional colour detail then its is conceivable that there may only be support for 1 Billion as opposed to 3+ Billion.

Could be that older generation circuit boards are being used, or that additional processing components are mounted on the boards for certain regions but not others. Thereby possibly reducing cost and feature count.

Would not be the first time that this type of situation has occured. Look at the viera ranges inability to accept 720P signals, where the matching PW6's could, purley down to a difference in the electronics and not the panel itself.

Just speculation mind

28. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lol yeah its the same in Australia, everyone in Panasonic Australia are all idiots (and a few other things). The guy tried to convince me that a component connection is "digital" therefore their Viera series has a digital-in... riiiiiiight.

I don't think they have anyone in those offices that knows what they are talking about and all they're doing is just reading a brochure to you over the phone.

29. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

You,ve hit the nail right on the head. Can this be true re the UK PW7 not having the new bits? :eek:

Gerald.

30. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

anything can be true nowdays. one is ripped off more and more often and they do not care since they sell more and more again and again ! :(