1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pany PW7 with meda box At AV sales

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steve_Whelan, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just been looking at the the AV-sales web site the have the PANY TH42PW7B with Panasonic Media Box for £1389.94, the price for the screen only without boards is £1524.99 that means £135 cheaper for a better package even iff you dont want the media box which i have heard is a bit crap who would pay the more expensive price for the screen only. This must bee some mistake on the web site.

2. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    noticed this also, seems almost too good a deal. Think i'll drop an email to them to see if they can do it without the mediabox thang which i've no real use for anyway.

Col.

3. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548

YOu could just sell the media box on ebay??

just been to see one in the flesh and they are fantastic. Going to put my order in Monday morning for the media box and plasma deal!!

Dal

4. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point, does anyone know what the quality is actually like through the mediabox? and is it still possible to use the tuner if you've got a pc hooked up through the VGA?

I had it in my mind that i needed a SVHS/Composite terminal board but looking at the specs of the mediabox it may actually be just what i need. I'm running a media center PC which i plan to hook up via VGA and then it would be handy to have a SVHS input for say a PS2 etc.

Col.

5. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to hook up A dvi output from a samsung hd 745 to the media box supplied with this deal?

If not then is there a method to utilise the DVI output on the DVD player to give a better picture?

6. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's no mistake, just a good offer. I've been reading up on all the deals thanks to this here forum.

Firstly, AV-sales is a forum sponsor and has a special link here: http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd7bk.html for the 42pwd7b - you can get it for £1514 including a wall mount or stand, with around 10% off the warranties and extra cards - much better than the 1524.99 that you mentioned. This thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169453&page=1&pp=40 on the Special Offers forum is where I found it.

Secondly, the two screens you are looking at are not quite the same. You were comparing the TH42PW7B with the TH42PWD7B - easy mistake to make as they are basically the same spec. My understanding is that the one they are doing with the mediabox is the 'consumer' version and only available in silver, while the other is the 'commercial' panel which you can also have in charcoal.

To quote the very helpful Alistair Collie at AV-Sales (hope you don't mind me quoting part of a PM),
    I did my sums and as the forum offer on the PWD7 includes a stand, it's about the same price as the PW7 - except the PW7 has a mediabox thrown in. You might be able to sell this on ebay for a couple of hundred quid, (although I imagine the value will plummet because everyone can get one free with a new screen, or will already have the connections they want). So PW7 seems the way to go if you want a silver border.

Personally I'm not fussed about having the mediabox and would sell it - but wouldn't count on the resale value being anywhere near the £300+ it retails for .

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No none of it is possible, the tuner is horrible, that's why they are paying you to take them away. You can of course flog it on fleabay or sling it in the bin where it belongs. No DVI, no VGA, disables all other inputs on the screen. The only thing this box has going for it is the teletext. Some folks still ask for it!

8. plop211

plop211
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that mate much appreciated, been looking for reviews on the web about the media box but couldn't come up with anything.

Col.

9. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might find the answer by doing a search on this forum. Quality is supposed to be OK, though apparently you can get a slightly better picture by using component video direct into a component video board, or, for example, a JS converter box to feed RGB from sky or dvd to the vga input. Also, having the tuner in does disable the other input boards!

I'm not 100% sure if it disables the 'standard' VGA input or only additional boards you have installed- someone will have posted it somewhere on this forum I expect.

- edit: Gah, you beat me to it MAW

10. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are using the media box as a form of basic connection but ignore the poor turner, then surely this is an ideal solution of connecting all your kit up?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The quality is a league down from straight to screen, I wouldn't cross the road to P*** on it if it were on fire. Selll it and put the money into a decent AV amp, a video upconverting job like the Onkyo 602 or Yamaha 750. Far better as a video hub, and super surround sound too.

12. nicp01

nicp01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    "It's no mistake, just a good offer. I've been reading up on all the deals thanks to this here forum"

Ive been in a question and answer session with avsales for the last few days..they ask all the questions and the last question was:-

"Did you want to have this new tuner box offer we are offering?

http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pw7b_plasma.html

Or did you want to go separatly?

http://www.av-sales.com/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pwd7bs.html "

I couldnt for the life of me understand why it was cheaper...being a stranger to these parts....I also asked for info on the wireless board...

thks
    peter
    (if only i had enough money for a 435 xde te)

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    New tuner???? it's been around for about 3 years! And don't worry about affording a XDE, it might be better, but not necessarily twice as good, if you see what I mean.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    Hello all

MAW does have a way with words ;)

Zest - just in case you missed what MAW said. Once you install the Media Box card in the Display and then connect the Media Box to the card you DISABLE the HD15(VGA) socket on the Display - and the Media Box doesn't have a PC input HD15(VGA) or DVI. Cock-up No1.

With the Media Box card installed and the Media Box attached you cant then install a DVI card in either of the Two remaining card slots. Cock-up No2.

Do an A-B comparison between SKY via the Media Box and SKY via an RGB2VGA converter and you'll 'see' Cock-up No3.

The PW7 + Media Box will be from Panasonic Consumer UK whilst the PWD7 will be from Panasonic Business Systems UK - different companies/pricing policies/offers I guess.

Best regards

Joe

15. RuddyRoad

RuddyRoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,445
    Nic,

I got a 42" PWD7 recently from Webelectricals: the package included a dual slot terminal board (component, s-video, composite) and fast free delivery, for £1469.99 :)

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm so glad we see eye to eye, Joe! Basically, it's pants, if you need a tuner, get a freeview box and a JS converter. Or even a scart board. They say the tuner contains a Faroudja chipset. I think they must have saved money on solder.

17. TheChump

TheChump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like teletext!!! One of the main reasons I'm interested in this tuner box. :D

I think I'll be asking about this offer - the worst that can happen is that I don't like the box and it goes in the bin with no money lost over the other AV-Sales offers!!! I may even keep it on the AV Rack and not plug it in, just so that it looks like another 'expensive' piece of AV equipment. :) :)

I'll then buy a component board for the DVD player and a Scart to VGA convertor for Sky. Just in case, I know AV-Sales are not selling connection boards seperately to the Panasonic Plasmas - is there anywhere else I can rely on to supply these boards on their own at around the same price?

18. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Ill be ordering the mediabox and plasma deal first thing in the morning.

The media box is exactly what im after. if im not happy with the output ill buy a VGA board when i have some more cash.

Saw a demo of the pw7 yesterday and its awsome!!

Dal

19. sylence

sylence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello

i was just wondering, if i bought the pw7/media box deal would i also be able to buy input boards, as it doesnt show them as selectable. (don want media box just the screen cheaper). also i have read the when you connect the media box is disables the input boards, is this permanent?

thanks

anthony

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no disconnect media box and get your slots back i am sure if you ring/mail them they will let you order boards as well

21. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yay...

Just ordered my PW7. Just a shame it wont be delivered till next Monday/Tuesday as they are fully booked this week.

Thanks to all for there help and advice

Dal

22. sylence

sylence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much HD.

23. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    it's gonna seem like a long week!! :D ...but worth the wait :smashin:

24. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Hope so mate. Think i have done the right thing. Will be a shame to loose my Sony Wega screen as it has been a fantastic TV.

But have always wanted a Plasma.

I assume your really chuffed with yours?? did u go for the mediabox or do u have one of those converter things?

Thanks

Dal

25. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    yes am really pleased with it.....and i have sky+ going via the js converter and e55 via component....both give excellent pq

26. gunizzle

gunizzle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone bought the AV Sales Screen and Media Box deal?? i ordered it last week its being delivered this week which im excited about but now ive read all this negative criticism of the media box im starting to wonder!!!!??

If anyones running the system as its sold can they let me know what its like?? does this media box mean i cant run sky through it???? I only want to run a dvd player, my xbox and sky through it will i be able to do it???

PS Im a complete amateur so explain it in simple language please!! haha

27. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548

Yes mate i ordered the same deal first thing this morning.

Your be able to connect your DVD and SKy box to the mediabox using scart sockets - make sure there are set to RGB mode (better quality)

I think you can get better quality from using a converter box. But hey give the mediabox a go iam.... If i dont like it ill buy a converter box when i have the cash.

Your have to let me know what its like i dont get mine till next week. They are fully booked aparently!

Dal

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you are not tied to using media box mate can just use input cards if you prefer, IF DVD has component then use the component input on the media box...

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Horny's right, no harm done. It doesn't stop you changing the setup later, as long as you are not building cables into the wall. You may be perfectly happy with what you see with the box, and even more happy to know it can only get better. Remote control is a bit of a nightmare too, but that is univeral with media boxes, none have real discrete codes, it makes them a nightmare with all in one remotes.

30. zest

zest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi dal mate, ive finally seen the media box in action with the panny pw7, it was displaying sky using RGB. I have also seen the js rgb vga converter set up with sky on a different occasion. I would say the pq with the js device to be slightly better, but not a massive leap as some people describe it!! the only way i could describe the diffence is rgb vs pal on crt 100hz. hope this helps.