Pany EH50 or Sony 510??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ginjaninja, Jun 10, 2005.

1. ginjaninja

ginjaninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just found this forum in the last couple of days and it's a godsend, so I hope that someone can help me with a query..
    I was on the verge of buying the Pany EH50 which seems to offer everything I need (& I can get it sorted for Multiregion), but someone mentioned the Sony510 may be a better option.
    Can anyone offer up any problems/advantages of either?

Maybe not the right part of the forum for this but...I've been reading just about eveything on amps and the Pioneer D814 and Yamaha RXV450 seem to be the best choices for my budget, with the Pioneer just pulling ahead, unless I'm completely wrong!?

Finally...speakers. I really have no clue with this part of my purchase and have been told by a couple of people in different stores that the Sony SAVE356 speakers offer good value for the price. Would this be a rather rash choice considering the DVD/Amp decisions??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ginja

2. Eivind

Eivind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont have first hand experience with the 510, but userreviews seems very good. its the same as 710 and 910 except for harddisksize (80/160/250) i think. but the first series cannot be made region free according to sony here in norway, so you should bear that in mind. a later hardware revision should solve that though, but i`m waiting until i am sure it can be done.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Advantages for Sony:

- DL support
    - reported to be the better in terms of player

Advantages for Panasonic:

- better quality recording, especially at lower quality settings (e.g. up to 4 hours in full resolution)
    - flexible record (able to set precise bit rate to fill disc)
    - some additional editing features like being able to choose your own menu background

Mark

4. the.jackall

the.jackall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one of the Sony Machines and did not rate it at all.
    I bought the Panny 95 at the finish,im so impressed with this machine im going to get a 50 as well
    its currently on offer for £319 Multiregion and free courier delivery from one of my best shops Leading edge, here the link,
    http://www.leconcepts.com/dvd/pandvd.htm

5. ginjaninja

ginjaninja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Thanks to all for helping out with info for the Panasonic etc. I ended up going the EH50, seemed like a better machine for me.

I have found a very cheap website if anyone is interested...www.multizonedvd.co.uk where the Pany is 293.93 inc. of VAT and delivery. Got a bargain for the Pioneer amp too. Speakers were cheaper at Empiredirect.co.uk.

Thanks again and I'll post my opinion of the set-up when it all arrives.

Ginge

6. kwebbotaurus

kwebbotaurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Which Sony machine did you not like about it? I'm considering a 510 or the Toshiba RDXS34!

7. the.jackall

the.jackall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HD on the Sony I had packed up within 14 days ,I was unable to switch it off when I set it away recording,also considering it was supposed to be the best model with a 15 transfer rate I was very dissapointed with the recordings, I was so glad I got it switched for the Panner.