1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pany 100 up to it's old tricks?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LJT, Apr 26, 2003.

1. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh the irony. Been struggleing the last day to down load the service manual for the Panny 100. Whislt tring to get taht to work a friend came over last night with a very cheap logix DVD player he purchased second hand.
    Got the thing working eventually via s-video trouble was there was a distinct green line/band down the right hand side of the screen. Other wise it looked pretty good. Hesaid he'sd take the thing back and change it or money return.

Now this morning after Emailing russia I finally got the manual down downloaded. Great. Started to print the thing (54 pages)looks terrible heads need cleaning Okay stop at page 28 (what a waste) Clean heads and start again.

Whilst waiting decided to put on the panny. Guess what a green band on the right hand side of screen still F*&$ing there! I tried disconnecting every thing to the panny bar power. Still there.
    I can't believe it, the irony I've just recieved the service manual and it's as if Panasonic know and they've sent a signal to the pJ to put his bloody green band down the right hand side.

I stormed to the PC to post on here for ant suggestions and guess what my printer has stopped working.
    Now I'm getting very p*ssed off. To add insult to injury when my friend came round with that bloody logix dvd player he broke my electric kettle as well!!!.

Anyone any ideas or it's back to Panasonic on monday for a repair.

2. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've disconnected all inputs from the panny, but the very clearly deleinated green stripe on the right hand side of the screen prevails.

I spoke several times to Sound and vision it was suggest that the RGB to S vdeo converter and then through the iScan Pro was probably the problem. They advised me to go to basic DVD s video to panny and cut out "all the crap inbetween" I did this the green stripe still there and a far worse image quality as well. I was also informed that you don't get this kind of problem on £6000 Pj's like the Seleco!
    Emmm very helpful. Maybe if the thing was sold with a warning
    " very low cost pJ but be warned you don't get something for nothing so it's liable to breakdown very soon! and you'll be messed about for weeks" Then many of us would have definitly avoid certain products.

Sorry if this is possibly on the wrong thread I was hoping somebody would see it immediatley and go"aha I know that problem and how to cure it" But alas so far no.
    So it looks like weeks of emails phone calls and frustration ahead trying to get the panny attended to. I hope my pessimism is unfounded but I don't think so. Heres to to the next fault being posted.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Bad luck m8 :(

Try cleaning the filter, the projector maybe overheating and distorting the panels. It maybe worth a try but don't hold your breath.

p.s Vacume the front grill also, it seems to gaffer dust quite fast on mine.

It will more than likely require returning to Panasonic for checking out.

Good Luck

4. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tim.
    As for over-heating. The panny had only been on a couple of minutes, in addition I'd checked through the service set up option which clearly showed the temperatures being fine.
    It's very strange, this very thin strip of green on the extreme right hand side of the screen, is still there when the shutter option is activated, still there when theres no inputs )nothing plugged in) into thr panny. The green strip extends from the very top to the way past the normal picture bottom line. It's very bright and vivid.
    As a matter of fact is resembles the intensity and sharpness of an onboard generated signalyou know the OSD stuff. So I'm perlexed. I some how have a hunch that a signal is activating a narrow band of pixels and thus this thing appears.
    As I've said the irony of it all is I've just been able to download the service manual-these things are like goldust it would seem.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    LJT,

Sorry to see your tale of woe.......

As for the narrow green stripe down the extreme edge of the image, can you count how many pixels wide the stripe is ?

Go into the service menu (Through the Options menu, I assume you know how), and cycle through the Blue, Red, Green and White screens and see if it is still displayed.

How is your AE100 mounted ? Is there any chance that it got bumped around when trying to connect up your pals DVD player ?? If the stripe is very narrow, is there a chance that the LCD panels got knocked out of alignment ?? some PJs have do not have perfect alignment, but its usually only one pixel wide at the edge of the image and its not really an issue.

Hope you get this resolved.

Sean G.

6. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ritzz thanks for the tips.

It does look like something has been knocked out off alignment the only thing that makes me doubt that a LCD panel has moved or shifted would be the fact that apart from this green line (which is approx 15-20 pixels wide X 484 =approx 9680 pixels) the remainder of the image is as good as ever.

Surely any lcd lens movement would throw the whole image out of whack so to speak where the misaligned pixels would disturb the overall colour rendition as well as image definition. So as to your question: Yes it is on table (a vulnerable place) but I'm convinced that it hasn't been disturbeddue to the above.
    I'll try the service option tip and let you know.
    Just a bit of advice from you good people . Is it better to contact Panasonic direct or go through Sound & Vision?

Thanks all

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    LJT,

15 - 20 pixels wide ? That's a puzzle right enough - panel alignment would only be 1 pixel wide..... it should be nothing to do with the lens.

Have you tried the service menu, can't recall if you said it's also there when you've got a grey screen (no input). Can't offer advice as to whether you should deal direct with Panny or go through dealer - maybe some UK based AE100 owners (even someone who has had other dealings with S & V could offer advice (being the weekend traffic here is low, you might have to wait until Monday).

Sean G.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    LJT

From reading quite a few posts on this Forum you might be best contacting Panasonic directly as S & V would probably slow things down.
    Panasonic's no. 08705 357357

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LJT,

Really bad news m8 - hope you get it sorted real soon ;)

Should I "stickyise" this #?

:rotfl:

Or indeed "stickyise" the mamoth avs thread on lamp issues with the HS10!

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey Kramer, glad to see you got home OK.

Not a bad idea for a "stickie".

While you're at it, you should include this number - 08705 111999 for the Sony UK Customer Information Centre. On the evidence of recent posts, there's probably more need for it :smashin: . Last three numbers a bit of a giveaway ? :suicide: .

All the best,

Sean G.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thread hi-jack iminent :)

Thanks Sean :)

Yep, 130 miles, 8 pubs & a good time with 4 "ladies of the night" later, answering posts here & getting more & more tired by the minute.

Re: the remainder of your post, better to "sticky" all manufacturers "help line" numbers, given the "RED led of death", "lamp issue" & "dust blob" issue amongst others :D

Chat soon....

Really getting me now......:boring: . Ah well, there's always tomorrow.....

:hiya:

12. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Kramer & Sean

Great idea for a stickie for Manufacture phone numbers.
    I might be able to get hold of the number for the service agents for Sanyo if need be, I think the company is GM Service's.

13. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a wild thought.
    Have you checked that the lence is clean?
    Would have to be a wery big hear on it to make a 15-20 pixels wide grenn strip though.:blush:

14. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the thought it did occur to me, but in practice if anythjing is obstructing the lens eg. the dust cap cord- the shodow as it were is very diffuse and out off focus. This thing really does seem to be 20x484 pixels stripe. Some times it seems there's an image below the stip and maybe a couple of pixels x the 484 just showing on the extreme right. It's all very odd really and gives me the imppression that that group of pixels have been instructed some how to turn green.

I'd like to say thank's at this point for everyones friendly help so far.
    I guess after all my whinging about PJ's I had it coming!

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    LJT,

Just out of curiousity, I assume you powered off the PJ completely after messing about with your mates dvd player - i.e. not just standby, but turn off switch at back and unplug ? If not done already, try powering it up from scratch with no input connected and see if it makes any difference. Also check if you're getting the same effect through all inputs - composite, Svid, component ( you can use any interconnects to connect this up, assuming you've got a source with component out) and you could try connecting a PC to see if the effect is there.

Your other posts were a touch pessimistic, right enough :devil: , but that's got FA to do with you having a prob now, and you're as welcome as anyone else to whatever advice/tea/sympathy is available.

I'm puzzled as to why your mate's dvd player would bugger up your PJ, unless there was something totally weird wrong with it.
    It could be coincidence, but I think that's just weird too. Hope to hear a result from you.

Regards,

Sean G.

16. Insp.Gadget

Insp.Gadget

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I reckon I'm way off here but is there a possibility of a wire having become loose inside the unit in front of one of the LCD panels ? Like you say, if it were an obstruction in front of the lens it would be a very blurry line, but if it was something right in front of one of the panels then it would be a lot sharper (although this still wouldn't explain why it's there on close shutter and why it's green :confused: ).
    If it looks like a system generated strip (like the menu text) then like you say it sure sounds like a component or other has gone t*ts up in the unit and causing it.

Hope you get it sorted either way. ;)

17. LJT

LJT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean. I took your advice , tried the R,B.G screen options from the service menu -the green changes colour but stripe still there.
    I tried disconnecting every thing bar the power supply lead. Green stripe still there.
    The odd thing is I watched the MU/Spurs game the image was excellent. The green stripe there all the time of course but not so noticable on grass.
    Just one more thing in the description of this vertical band of transparent green. Its almost like a strip of green transparent cellophane has been placed on the screen with as I said earlier just a thin line of (2/3) pixels to the right of it. Sometimes this green will channge colour depending on programme material. As a matter of fact when trying R,G,B sreen from the service menu the colour of the stripe changes with the screen colour. All very odd.

Call Panasonic tomorrow . Cheers all

18. uk_robk

uk_robk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What happens when you change the projection mode to rear? does the line flip over to the other side?