Pansonic TX-P42GT50B or Panasonic Viera TX-L47ET5B

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Pudd, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Pudd

Pudd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to buzzing, I had to return my Panasonic UT50 back to JL last week so need to look for a new TV. I really liked the picture with the plasma so was a but gutted to return it. I chose the Panasonic E5B as the replacement but the sd content (and hd for that matter) is poor and it has problems with lip syncing and sound. I have upped my budget to £800 in the hope of getting a 'better' tv. I would still like to buy from JL again as they were really good with me.

I have narrowed my search to these two TVs

Panasonic TX-L47ET5B (LCD LED)

Buy Panasonic Viera TX-L47ET5B LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 47 Inch with Freeview HD and 4x 3D Glasses online at JohnLewis.com

or

Panasonic TX-P42GT50B (Plasma)

Buy Panasonic Viera TX-P42GT50B Plasma HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 42 Inch with Freesat/Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

I know the ET5B is LCD LED so the picture quality wont be as great as the plasma but I am considering it as I'm hoping it wont buzz. However, I would love to stick to a plasma tv as I personally think the picture quality is better but I am so, so worried I will get a buzzer again so would accept a lesser image for a silent tv. I don't know how many TVs JL will let me replace.

I went to the JL store in Reading today and looked at the 50" GT and could hear the same buzzing as the UT50 when stood behind it. However, I couldn't hear a lot from the 42" version. Is buzzing 'louder' the bigger the screen? I asked the sales assistant about the buzzing issue and he gave me a weird look and said plasma tvs dont buzz and that Panasonic have spent a lot of money on their tvs so there shouldn't be any problems..

I only watch freeview so good sd picture quality is my ultimate importance. I have read so many reviews and just getting more and more confused. If anyone could offer and advice it would be great. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Pudd

Pudd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody?

3. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I'd get the bigger TV but be prepared for the clouding and possibly blur. LCDs can buzz too, and not all plasmas do :)

4. Pudd

Pudd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thansk for the reply Vickster.

I'm edging towards the ET5B but I'm not really sure is the SD picture quality is going to be any better than the E5B? I'm also struggling to find the true refesh rate as I have read 50HZ in one review, 100HZ in a nother and Panasonic say 300HZ??

5. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Have you read the review on here? y guess would be 50hz with motion processing (the Panasonic figure), not that it really matters actually - just marketing 'my number is bigger than yours' ;)

6. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    I would say you will never get a picture anywhere near a plasma, no matter which led screen you buy
    It's always a lottery whether you get light bleed etc with LED
    I have the 50ut50 from JL too, it also buzzes but I am gonna stick with it cos for the £578 I paid its a loony bargain

Just my thoughts,

Gary

7. Pudd

Pudd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was really disappointed that I have to return the UT50 but the buzzing was so loud, even with the audio relatively loud. The buzzing completely ruined Lawless on bluray when I watched it and i couldnt watch tv at night with the volume down.

I'm still undecided. I am really impressed by the spec of the GT50 and as the tv is for my bedroom i dont really need a big tv but im just conscious of it buzzing and JL getting fed up with me ringing all the time!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. Aching Head

Aching Head

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have a 42 GT50 and I can only hear buzzing when I place my ear right behind the set and even then it's not much. I should also point out that this is in a room with little or no soft furnishings and laminate as opposed to carpet. It's a great TV.