1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansonic TH42 or LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hOwLa, Nov 20, 2003.

1. hOwLa

hOwLa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I posted earlier but got no reply so I'm sorry if this repeats my earlier post. I want to replace my current 32" widescreen TV with something a little more compact without loosing picture quality. I was originally asking about 32" LCD made by Samsung but as I can't find any reviews I'm looking into purchasing a Panasonic 42" plasma which seems have rave reviews.

The majority of my viewing will be Sky+, then DVD and video games Xbox etc. I might connect a PC to the device at some point but that would be a nice to have rather than a need to have.

Can someone tell what will be the best product for this viewing as I suspect the LCD may leave trails on fast moving pictures such as sport etc which is what I watch lots of and this would be a major annoyance if that was the case. The only demo I could have was with a progressive scan DVD hooked up to LCD and it look really good, but there was no sky feed only a dodgy RF cable which looked poor. The Panasonic did not look as good as the LCD whilst playing the DVD but did seem better with the RF. Can somone with either product please advise.

Thanks in advance

Kev :confused:

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Have also a test with Pioneer PDP-434HDE and see what you think... I think you should include it on your potential list. LCD is "getting there" but the plasma in my opinion is currently ahead.

3. hOwLa

hOwLa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the Samsung 32" LCD delivered and I cant beleive how sharp the text is on Sky news and Sky Sports News etc, I've hooked up a Toshiba SD530E via Component and the picture is superb. The only problem so far I can complain about compared to my old Sony 100Hz 32" Widescreen is when watching sport etc the picture suffers a little motion blur, does this happens with plasma? I have the option to swap the unit if I'm not happy, but apart from the motion blur everthing is spot on, the PC connection is very good also. I'm not sure whether to keep this unit as I do watch a lot of sport and the motion blur may get on me nerves as time goes by, anyway gotta go, good luck England!

4. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    its a sports LCD thing with most LCDs, it does it oh so slightly on my Iiyama 19" LCD TV give it a week or so of harcore sport and u will forget about it

5. hOwLa

hOwLa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having the 32" Samsung LCD for 3-4 weeks in my home I have returned the unit and replaced it with a Sony KE32TS2E plasma and have no regrets what so ever. The picture on the Sony IMHO is far superior on Sky and DVD is very good also. The only thing which is better on the LCD is static text such as Sky news etc. The LCD is very poor for playing games, I had my Xbox connected via RGB scart (terrible btw) and then via component using the HDTV pack from the US which improved the pictue quite a bit. The Sony plays all of my sources with no problems what so ever and I'm well chuffed with the purchase. If only I could get Sky in to a progressive :confused: