Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pansonic SCHT520 - Digital Sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Rymer, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Rymer

Rymer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to watch movies on Sky that have the variuos sound. Am I right it presuming this system can't handle digital sound or have I been given the wrong information?

2. willemb

willemb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by "various sound" and "digital sound"? Probably you refer to Dolby Surround Sound, also known as Dolby Digital or Dolby AC3. The SCHT520 surely can play these encoded signals provided you have the right settings on the unit and also provided these signals are sent by the TV-station and properly distributed to your Home system.
    There are various versions of Dolby AC3, but the majority are Dolby Digital 2.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 Most stations only transmit DD 2.1 (if ever) when broadcasting Surround Sound, which means that they sent the sound of two complete channels (left front and right front) plus a combined subwoofer low frequency bass sound.
    In order to make this a pseudo "surround sound" the Home set needs to artificially "compute" the other channels. This is done by switching the unit with the DD-button (just below the return button on the remote control) to MUSIC or to MOVIE. If no Dolby was available the signal ERROR will be displayed. If you still do not hear much from the rear speakers, the surround volume may have been set too low. Switch to the rear speakers with the Cannel Select button (on the last row of the remote) and select RS and later LS (right surround and left surround speaker) and increase the respective volumes with the Up- and Down-buttons of the joystick part of the remote control.
    Mind you that you cannot get real 5 channel surround from Dolby 2.1 - only DD5.1 will be able to do so and by my knowledge these signals are not yet transmitted by Sky but only available on commercial DVD's.

Success with your SCHT520 which is a great homeset !

WVB

3. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Slight correction willemb in other wise excellent response - SKY do transmit in DD 5.1 on Movie Channels 1, 2 & 3 plus some stuff on Disney Channel.

ALI

4. willemb

willemb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, that's marvellous ! I did'nt know as I do not have SKY myself.
    Another addition to my comment is, that in case no Dolby is transmitted at all (hence only stereo), one can obtain pseudo surround on the SCHT520 by applying the SUPER SRND-button on the remote and select one of the options MUSIC, MOVIE or PARTY

WVB

5. Rymer

Rymer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your help. It appears that most of what is transmitted through SKY, does not enable me to use the DD, but the Surround Sound options works fine.