Pansonic DMR-HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by overkill, Nov 15, 2003.

1. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Just picked this up second hand (from here actually!) and it plays ok, records ok (wow!, quality wise!), but it's a noisy bugger!! I've seen other posts referring to this, & one guy actually got rid because of the fan noise!! Has anybody else found this here? It's not a huge problem, just irritating, and wondered if this was the norm? Any suggestions on dealing with it?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You can hear the fan? Mine is inaudible at distances over 30cm from the unit (with everything else switched off). If it's really loud maybe you should get the unit serviced and see if it just needs a clean (or a new fan!).

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    TA!!!

4. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    It appears from looking around the web that the noise problem is quite common. I note some people took theirs back and got a replacement. The guy I it bought off can't have noticed, or wasn't bothered as this doesn't appear to be a "develop during transit" fault but one that occurs from the off. However, quite few mentioned that their second machine was just as bad as the first!!! So, they got rid!!

Anyone tried changing the fan for a quieter one?

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aside of other issues, the fan for me, is not one of them! Mine is absolutely silent!

6. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I picked up a HS2 yesterday which I bought second-hand via the classifieds and seem to have the same problem with a noisy fan.

Need to see if I can get used to it over the next few days but if not what options have I got. It's just over a year old so is out of warranty and I'm the 3rd owner. Has anyone had theirs fixed and if so by who and how much did it cost. I was wondering whether Panasonic might take a look at it as a goodwill gesture if I said I was the initial owner and blagged it.

The other thing I seemed to have a problem with is sound only coming out of 3 speakers. For example when I play the Simpsons I cannot hear them talking although you can hear the background sound. I'm sure it's something simple and maybe another night of playing around with it will get it working but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas. I have it connected via optical and the dolby digital and dts settings on the hs2 are set to bitrate. I've not changed any amp settings as they are fine when connecting my Sony DVD player. Anyone got any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm rather gutted - boohoo.

Cheers,
    Lawrence

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    Lawrence

Sorry to hear that the HS2 is playing up ... I think the noise is more the HD than the fan as it seemed to wind itself up but to be honest it was sat on top of two noisy sky+ boxes so I never really had it playing by itself ...

The missing rear channels must be part of the setup ... I used the optical connection in to my AV8 and got all channels out OK when playing dvd's ...

Not sure how it multiplexes out 'analogue' sound from an analogue source to get it out of the optical ... maybe you need to connect phonos as well ?

rgds

Jon

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an HS2 but have it inside a Stands Unique cabinet -but listening to it up close the only sound that I can hear is when the HDD starts up on a recording.

9. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I would have a close listen to the back of the machine to check if its the fan or the HD.

Normally I'd say the HD would be louder than the fan but if the fan is on the way out it can make a loud noise.

The ones I've seen look much like a small fan from a PC processor cooler, only not very robust or big.

You could try replacing it with a PC type one, so of which can be very quite. Then you would probally notice the HD noise.

10. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

To be honest Jon I should have asked you how loud it was before I bought it off you. It's just I hadn't seen anything in the forums about HS2's sometimes suffering from a noisy fan/hd. It's only when I did a search that I found a few people had suffered from it. That said the wife seems to think it's not too bad so I may get used to it, time will tell !

Yeah not sure why the sound isn't right but with xmas and all I've had little time this week to play with it. I'll try again at the weekend.

I'm pretty sure its the fan rather than the HD. The noise starts immediately when turning on the power and continues when playing DVD's so it does not seem to be related to when the HD is in action. I'm not sure why it has a fan anyway as DVD's appear pretty hot when you take them out the drive. Maybe that's an indication that the fan is packing up.

Cheers,
    Lawrence