1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansonic AE700e - ghosty image quality

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GeoffD, May 31, 2005.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

Purchased a Panasonic AE700E on the weekend, and am running a Sony DVD player through it with component cables (not progressive scan). I'm very happy with the quality of all aspects of the image, except for the sharpness.

I am getting noticeable ghosting around high contrast backgrounds (eg, a figure standing in front of a window), and a lot of noise or pixelation across details.

A moving image of good closeup is fine. If a person's body is visible from head-to-toe on screen, their facial details will be fuzzy and pixelly. Some menu screen text details are also ghosty and noisy.

Movies which are older or "grainy film" look great, but movies which should be clear sharp high-definition digital like Attack of the Clones or Shrek actually look worse, because the highly defined lines show more ghosting.

Having returned to the shop, my projector did the same thing using their DVD player with component cables. However, using their DVD player with HDMI cables noticeably improved things.

So obviously a better DVD player with HDMI will make me happier (although poorer), but in the meantime am I expecting too much from my new projector, or should it be as sharp and clear as I was hoping it would be...?

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you set your sharpness control to anything above 0 you will get this edge enhancement ghost effect, try setting it to zero or -1 and you will find the picture quality improves considerably.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharpness control is currently set to 0, and in fact all settings are factory.

Blurring the image slightly either by the manual focus or sharpness setting certainly reduces the ghosting and softens the noise/pixellation, but with the result of a softer image.

To quote the Panasonic website and brochure: "The high-definition
    picture of the PT-AE700 is remarkably smooth and film-like, and at
    the same time amazingly sharp and detailed."

Well, mine isn't...anyone else...?

4. DowNtimE

DowNtimE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You aren't using any keystone adjustments are you? If you are, DON'T! Keystone destroys the picture very efficiently.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, no keystone...all settings are out-of-the-box.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If you can, try a different input eg s-vid and/or a different player - not suggesting you stick with this, just that it may point to cable / player as the issue...PJ :)

7. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +490
    If the picture quality is much improved using HDMI as the interconnect then I recommend that you buy a Samsung HD945 for about 150 pounds. Having spent a load of money on the PT-AE700E it's a shame not to spend a little extra to achieve perfection (well almost:). I have this combination & the PQ is fantastic.

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Hmm. Didn't notice the bit about having tried another DVD player through component. Usually there's no guarantee that HDMI will be superior to component (sometimes it can be inferior) but in this case I'd agree that HDMI seems to be the way to go. Strange that two players/cables have shown the same effect though, almost as if there's an issue with the component connections...PJ :)

9. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Attack of the Clones, depending on what region you are describing, is plagued by edge-enhancement, i.e. unnatural sharpening, so maybe you have just lucked out by picking DVD's that have been poorly mastered?

Try any of the R1 LOTR series, which have pretty awesome transfers, and see if the problem persists.

10. GeoffD

GeoffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, until I can afford to spend more on a new progressive scan DVD with HDMI outputs, I've elected to soften the picture slightly by setting Sharpness to about -2, and am watching DVDs in "Cinema 1" mode. For most movies I tried last night this now looks pretty good.

Also last night viewed an episode of Star Trek Enterprise in High Def digital TV broadcast...and it looked superb.

The projector isn't perfectly sharp and clear, despite Panasonic's claims to the contrary in their promotional material, but the quality of image in all other areas is enough that I can live with this.

Now to go read about filters...

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    What happens when you move the focus ring? Does the focus change evenly across the image or does some of it go into focus more than other parts?

I'm wondering if you've got faulty optics if no-one else is seeing this.

Have you tried it with just one set of video connections in both player and projector such as component only with no other cables in either machine? I once found that having a cable connected to the player but not connected at the other end caused image ghosting. If I disconnected the unused cables from the player, or connected them to the pj, the ghosting went away.

Gary.

12. Tyjay

Tyjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Actually i get a slight out of focus from either left or right hand side of screen,i have to fine focus it its nearly there but just off if you know what i mean,running mine through a farmer component switcher box might try the pure straight through to dvd player,will update asap. :( Panni A700

13. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Uneven focus across the image is sometimes a side effect of optical lens shift...PJ :)