1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansonic 36PL30 speaker covers onto a 36PB50

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mujja, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi,

I bought a 36PB50 a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it expect for one thing. I can't live with the blue speakers covers.

[​IMG]

The 36PL30 with its silver speaker covers look much nicer.

[​IMG]

So I checked the Panasonic website to see if I could buy replacements. The first thing that shocked me was the silver covers cost 3 times as much as the blue ones, £20 silver and £7 blue.

Anyway I decided to order the silver covers and they arrived this morning. I didn't have a clue about how easy they would be to fit and hoped the package would contain some fixing instructions, unfortunatley it didn't.

The new silver covers are slightly different from each other, they must have been manufactured at differnet locations. For a start one was packaged in a small box and the other just wrapped up. The letters "stencil" on the back use differnet fonts and the colour shade is different. But the colour on the front matches exactly which is the main thing.

On the back of the speaker covers there are 4 holes each. The set of holes on one cover are threaded for screws. But the set of holes on the second cover are smooth, as if they just slide onto something. Maybe the one with the threaded holes has been used, hence the packaging above.

That's why I'm confused. Are my existing speaker covers simply pushed on, or are they screwed on? I tried to pull the blue covers off but didnt want to break anything.

Any ideas how to fit them. If they are held on with screws from the inside then I will have to pull the back cover off to get access. How tricky/dangerous is this. I'm always in and out of the my PC so feel a little confident. But have never had the cover off a TV and don't know what I'll find. There might be too many cables and things plus the original speakers in the way of the speaker panels.

If I feel brave enough I might get the back cover off and take a look on the weekend.

2. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    mod,

will this post be better off in one of the other sections, e.g. speakers or general hardware. If so could you move it please.

3. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    guys,

I'm not asking for info specifc to the 36pb50. Has anyone else attempted to do anything similar, or has anyone else had any reason to open up their TV. If you did open you TV was it easy enough to work in there, e.g. like a PC. Or should I leave it to the professionals.

If I have to I'll get a TV engineer in if he doesn't charge too much.