1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pansonic 32PB50 - whats the quality like watching Video's from a VCR? And Football?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by djg1, Mar 2, 2003.

1. djg1

djg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pansonic 32PB50 - whats the quality like watching Video's from a VCR? And Football?

HI...

Please can some one with a Panasonic 32PB50 tell me what the quality is like when watching video tapes? As from what i have seen a normal 50htz set looks beter at this task than the 100htz sets i was looking at.

i know the PB50 has Prog scan (50 htz mode) and does this make a difference in watching tapes or not, as i found most 100htz to be grainy and a bit blury at this task comparring the picture to a normal 50htz set which is as clear as the soucre will allow it to be (i.e. i realise video will not be nowhere nearly as good as DVD playback etc...) .

Also whats the PB50 like with FOOTBALL? and does the DDM and PROG scan make a difference here or not?

THanks everyone..

2. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Video playback is obviously not very good and could I guess be discribed as blurry , but at the end of the day what do you expect with 200 odd lines

Football , this set (speaking as a former owner) doesn't do too bad with Football but could I feel be alot better

SKY = depends on broadcast quality ,varies from OK to good

ITV Premiership via sky = Poor (ghosting around players ) , varies to Very bad to Poor
    BBC via SKY = ranges from Poor to OK

RF = OK to Good but grainey , no ghosting .

re DDM , this needs to be turned off otherwise the players just stutter around the field

:lesson:

3. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39

Re the prog scan , this set only does prog scan for NTSC disk's

you can change it the prog scan whenever you like but I didn't notice any difference in picture apart from when playing R1 dvd's

if you don't need digital sound then why don't you try the ph40 as I understand it does prog scan with Pal material .
    I had a look in JL at one of these and the menu option's (apart from sound ) where exactly the same .

Like I've said before ,this is NOT a bad TV , I just couldn't stand the dirty screen effect (which varies from set to set) .

Re 'JUST' mode , I used this alot and found it a very good setting for 4:3 material . However I would not recommend using is for 4:3 football broadcast's but for watching sky movies, sky news etc the it's fantastic . It stretches the sides and zoom's in very so slightly but leaves the middle portion of the image untouched .
    All the sky banners are still on screen and not cut so you can't read half of them , yes a very good option .