Panson NV-SD420 VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by scitech, May 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken the top off of my Panasonic VCR to look for a problem but without the cover on it won't accept a cassette. I can't find any microswitches on the machine so I am stumped as to why it accepts the tape as soon as I replace the cover.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

2. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    scitech -

The tape end sensors are getting daylight in and as a result the machine will not take the cassette. Covering each side of the deck with another cassette may help.

What's the fault anyway?

A. Dork

3. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it might be a light sensor somewhere (having pretty much eliminated all other possibilities) but having opened up numerous VCRs in the past I don't ever recall having this problem.

The fault is this - intermttently the video will lock up, no controls responding and the LCD displays "F-03". Switching off the power for a minute or so rectifies it. Called Panny tech support who said it's a fault (well duh!) - most likely a software fault. I'm a bit sceptical about this as I've never seen or heard about a VCR with a software fault. Opened it up to see if there was anything obviously wrong. Nothing visible so I wanted to see the mechanism in action to see if I could see something then.

Thanks Arthur.

Darren

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    scitech -

It's a very common fault - there's a coupling on the loading motor that splits. The coupling's about 50p but you won't be able to do it unless you really know your way around VCR's intimately. ;)

A. Dork

5. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the video is used in the Science Department of the school I work in and my colleague is a qualified electrician and former AV technician so I hope we'll be able to sort something out.

Thanks.

6. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arthur, you were spot on, It is the coupling on the motor. Now to find a replacement. My first call should be Panasonic I suppose.

Thanks again.

Scitech

7. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me with the part number of the coupling in question? Panasonic can't help, my local service centre can't help. I've downloaded a service manual but there's a note that says "don't use these part numbers when ordering. Use the parts list." Dead ends everywhere!

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Part number VDC7540 available from SEME on 01664 484000. Cost £0.34 plus VAT. (trade)

Good luck.

A. Dork

9. scitech

scitech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a guy! :thumbsup:

Thanks very much. As I'm sure you'll understand, fixing this VCR as cheaply as possible is very important to the school. Getting it repaired by an engineer would have been as pricey as just buying a new player!

Cheers.

Scitech.