• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pan's Labyrinth

the_pauley

Banned
Just watched this on HD DVD. Jaw dropping picture and sound quality. among the best I've seen / heard.

And of course a stunning movie too! :thumbsup:

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Amazing film, i also watched it in HD :)

Is it a huge leap on from the sd version ? I ask this because I wasn't going to bother because the dvd was such good quality. It is one of my favourite movies though, and I would be tempted.

the_pauley

Banned
Not seen the SD version so can't comment. All I can say is that it is one of the finest (if not the finest) discs I've seen in terms of AV quality.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
can I ask where you guys ordered it ? I can only see a release date for 1st February :confused:
I want to order it or buy it from a store,

cheers

shortround

Established Member
A few reviews I've read have mentioned that this transfer had some artificial grain removal applied.

Anyone have any input on that? Any loss of detail etc?

I have the SD-DVD and have the HD on order, so I can post my thoughts on comparisons when I get it.

the_pauley

Banned
Yes there was some sort of grain removal, but the end result was approved by Guillermo Del Toro. The amount of detail in the picture is incredible.

Review here with mention of the grain issue.

shortround

Established Member
Thanks. Where did you see it confirmed that Guillermo Del Toro approved the grain removal? Did I miss it in that review, or was it from another source?

Also, any idea which 'import' version he is referring to that doesn't have the grain removal?

Thanks.

expat

Established Member
Is it a huge leap on from the sd version ? I ask this because I wasn't going to bother because the dvd was such good quality.
Surely this depends on your display and viewing distance! I'm just starting with HD, and I haven't reached a conclusion yet regarding the benefits in my living room. There are so many SD DVD's out there with fabulous PQ...

I have to agree that Pan's Labyrinth is brilliant, one of my favorite films of the past few years...

hutch

Distinguished Member
Should I buy on Blu Ray or HD-DVD?

hutch

Distinguished Member
If the video and audio are the same on both then i'll grab it on HD-DVD :thumbsup:

Cant seem to find it on Movietyme though....

hutch

Distinguished Member
Good stuff mate, havent used Axel before do they ship from the UK?

Movietyme have a great selection but their shipping times leave a lot to be desired....

philbam

Established Member
Playusa.com have this at £15.99. Unfortunately not currently in stock,however ordered it anyway.
Once in stock usually arrives within 48 hours!

eiren

Distinguished Member
Good stuff mate, havent used Axel before do they ship from the UK?

Movietyme have a great selection but their shipping times leave a lot to be desired....

I think they ship from Denmark. Usually takes between a few days to a couple weeks max to arrive (not their fault I guess). My Pan's Labyrinth took 4 days.

ggu

Established Member
You can get it from play.com for £17, that's where I bought mine. It's PAL though so I don't know if NTSC is better quality or something seeing as everyone seems to be buying the NTSC version.

Is it better quality?

inzaman

You can get it from play.com for £17, that's where I bought mine. It's PAL though so I don't know if NTSC is better quality or something seeing as everyone seems to be buying the NTSC version.

Is it better quality?

It doesnt matter HD is HD not pal or NTSC :thumbsup:

Just noticed that it has DTS-HD Master Audio :eek::cool: I too am going to order this on HDDVD :)

hutch

Distinguished Member
You can get it from play.com for £17,
Its saying release on the 30/01 and there is no such thing as PAL and NTSC on HD DVD so no worries there.

I have ordered from Axel so lets see when I get it, cant wait have been looking forward to this :D

ggu

Established Member
Nah I'm talking about Blu-Ray which is what I bought it for because I want to add to my Blu-Ray collection because I don't have many compared to my HD-DVD's.

Plus Pal has greater resolution to NTSC doesn't it? But I'm sure I read that it's slightly different to the NTSC version, dunno if that's true which is why I was asking.

inzaman

Nah I'm talking about Blu-Ray which is what I bought it for because I want to add to my Blu-Ray collection because I don't have many compared to my HD-DVD's.

Plus Pal has greater resolution to NTSC doesn't it? But I'm sure I read that it's slightly different to the NTSC version, dunno if that's true which is why I was asking.

If that was SDDVD then yes you are correct PAL has 576 lines compared to NTSC at 480. The HD version is a 1080 transfer for both US and UK versions.

ggu

Established Member
If that was SDDVD then yes you are correct PAL has 576 lines compared to NTSC at 480. The HD version is a 1080 transfer for both US and UK versions.

Ahh fair enough mate, getting confused an thinking of DVD :p

Cheers.

Had a quick look at the film and it does look pretty good (picture wise). I've already seen it and it's awesome so can't wait to watch it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom