Panorama: The Great PFI Swindle

SBanga

Did anyone watch this last night? Although I understand the need for private investment at times, how can they get away with writing the kind of contracts that are being portrayed? Who signs them off?

SBanga

Are they also signing off the replacement for Royal Liverpool University Hospital?

Disgusting!

A hospital built completely without any light switches!

It just beggars belief and is a perfect illustration of how the people involved in PFI schemes were in it just to make money for themselves and not to provide facilities for the community.

If you missed this programme, you can watch it at:

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: Who's Getting Rich on your Money?

PFI initiatives are based on dodgy accounting which falsely shows that the government is NOT borrowing money to build something (eg, like a hospital), when in actual fact IT IS.

And at inflation proofed CREDIT CARD RATES OF INTEREST too!

freemind

Standard Member
Originally devised when the tories were last in power, Labour went nuts on it. Gordon Brown loved it as chancellor because the costs were not put on the balance sheet.

Our children will start reaping the whirlwind over the next 25 years for this travesty. A friend of mine was running the very insightful pfiexposed site but had to give it up when he got into uni.

My local (Brent) council is running amok with PFI's now. ALL of their social housing is currently been built using this scam.

It's a national and local government wet dream. They can go around trumpeting their own greatness for developing infrastructure that doesnt show on the books for years to come. It suits their short-termist attitude perfectly, but screws a whole future generation in the process.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom