1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panorama: The Drunks on our streets

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,132
    Excellent Documentary on the state of our city and town centres regarding binge drinking and the lengths the drinks industry go to promote their products. It's encouraging that at last the real story of the struggling Police, magistrates and the greedy bar chains as well as the casualties of Alcohol related assaults etc, is now being aired in public.

2. bigblueboy

bigblueboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must agree with Thx 1138 was a real wake up call regarding how the services are struggling with the explosion of a new bars & the after effects at closing time.

3. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Binge drinkers are absolute scum :lesson:

I am completely t-total now as I believe alcohol is so destructive for society and your body. It's just no good at all. Moderation is the key.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    I live in the centre of a town where there is quite literally nothing except pubs.. no cinema, no music clubs, not even a McDonalds....

But 57 pubs... and 8 coppers.

On a friday night the police don't even answer the phone.

5. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Bit of a tough problem to tackle considering the proliferation of cheap alcohol and a willingness to get absolutley plastered. Only way is to massively increase the price of drinks but realistically that's not going to happen. Increasing policing seems to be a bit of a waste of time which makes it even sadder that it should be needed in the first place.

6. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    A huge levy imposed on bars/pubs to cover the cost of policing might make the drinks industry think twice about opening more places for the binge drinking chavs/neds to herd in.

I don't think changing the opening hours is going to help that much either, as in Britain there is not the same mentality concerning drinking. On the continent the attitude is more about being sociable and here it is more about getting p****d out of your brain.

The mentality of the drinkers needs to be changed, but how I don't know as I have no personal experience of what that mentality is like as I am a moderate drinking lightweight and abhor hangovers.

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I ahbor hangovers - but that doesn't stop me from getting them :( lol. Increasing the pprice of drinks affects the moderate drinkers as well sa the neds tho, making even more of us drink at home so it wont stop them drinking just shift the problem to home parties.

no can't suggest an alternative - maybe the new id card can be swiped at bars and count the no. of units you consume and prohibit too many units to be bought, but thats too difficult to manage me thinks

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    A few bar Managers is court for selling more ale to already drunk patrons and heavyer fines for the drunks would be a start.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,184
    perhaps there should be a limit on the number of pubs per street/town?

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sorry lads, but it's a cultural thing. You Poms like a drink and then a good punch-up. You're not mature/sensible/chilled enough to enjoy alcohol in public like a responsible person who respects others. :(

I have around a dozen mates who I regularly go out drinking with (Aussies, Kiwis, S. Africans, a Welshman, a Scot and several Englishman) and the only ones who get into scuffles are the English lads. :rolleyes:

Until you learn to handle your alcohol and your fists, then no amount of fines or laws are gonna protect a High Street on a Friday/Saturday night.

Sorry this my be seem to be a racist attack on all British men/women, but it's not! It's just my experience of drinking all over the world with people from many different nations. :cool:

11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    I used to be seriously against our antiquated drinking laws, especially after spending holidays abroad where you would be out till 6am.

But after watching that programme I really don't see how allowing these 'superpubs' the opportunity to be 'open all hours' will reduce our antisocial drinking habits. You only have to see programmes about Ibiza and suchlike to see the Brits in this sort of environment. In my youth I've had my fair share of hangovers but today's culture seems way more extreme than 20 years ago.

There needs to be a sea change in cultural attitudes towards drink which, TBH, I can't see happening soon. This would need to be a 10 or 20 year campaign, similar to drink driving type campaigns to wean people off binge drinking. The cost to the NHS is simply staggering, never mind the long term effects of this abuse.

CL

12. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with you. I am British and I am embarrassed by the way British people behave in the pubs at the weekend, and on holiday.

My wife is Polish, and when we are abroad, if someone asks we always say we are Polish as it gets us far more respect everywhere we go, without exception. Just goes to show what other nations think of the British too. Its a serious embarrassment to the country and we need to do something about it.

I don't really know what though unfortunately. I've never seen any violence here on a Friday or Saturday night, although most Poles could easily drink the average Englishman under the table.

I think you are right that it is ingrained in our culture and probably will continue to be for a few years yet. :(

13. Gregorski

Gregorski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    And before I get a load of abuse, its obviously not all British people, just a hardcore minority who can't behave.

14. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bedford has more than its fair share of problems on a Friday and Saturday night. There have been stabbings and fatalities over the last few months, and I treat it as a no-go area.

I've been to the bars in Bedford highstreet before, and they're horrible. Overcrowded, noisy and anonymous, they make you irritable before you even get in the door. Unfortunately, the breweries have closed a lot of pubs in local villages, so a lot of people converge on the town at the weekend. There's a definite 'tribal' feel to it, which I think is part of the problem.

I used to get absolutely wingbolted some nights in my village pub, but there was never any trouble: it was a cosy, friendly environment. And it wasn't run by the Why Don't You Gang: it had a proper landlord, and people respected him. And there was never a scrum to get in, or get served.

Milton Keynes has a fair bit of trouble at the weekends, but only in certain areas. If you go to a pub further from the centre, where the prices are a little higher to keep out the pikeys, then you can pretty much guarantee a fun, hassle-free evening.

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well Manchester is a big city of course and you can find trouble if you look for it. Where i think its worse is the small towns like Oldham Bury Rochdale Ashton. It's like a pint and fight in those places, very clicky. Manchester has a large mix of students’ young professionals’ , visitors, and locals- a nice mix. We also have one of the best gay quarters in Europe that’s very cosmopolitan and one of the old bars Manto's used to be open till 6am. Never that much trouble as most of the pint and a fight (soft arses sober) are too close minded to go.

16. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The bad behaviour comes from surprising quarters though. The worst instance happened to a chap I used to work with when younger. He left our work place to become a Policeman. A few years later he was kicked unconscious while on duty and in uniform, suffering fractured scull, broken ribs etc. by a group of Firemen on their station outing. :( . Shocked isn't the word to describe it. :(

17. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm 18 and I drink. Often a lot.

I only saw the last ten minutes of yesterday's programme - I have NEVER been so drunk that

a) I couldn't WALK, or

b) I wanted any sort of fight, with anyone.

I fear these people as much as the next poster and that's why I go out on Monday nights (tonight - woohoo!). I go to a local 70s themed bar, where drinks are £1 each, but binge-drinking doesn't occur that often. Who wants to get ****** on a Monday night? Not many.

After about a month of these, I now know it is very safe, very fun, very cheap and totally groovy! We only live once, and for the majority of people, drinking whether binge or otherwise, doesn't create crime. For the minority that continually reoffend, they should be barred from all spots in their town. Bouncers could often do a better job - maybe the police could give them more powers? The bouncers were I go, come an dsit in with us, the atmosphere is that good!

18. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    In my experience many fights are over women, particularly some chap's drunk girlfriend who becomes something to fight over. If you don't want other blokes staring at your broad's waps/crotch, or you are too insecure to deal with that attention like an adult, ask her not to dress & behave like Jordan when you go out together. :lesson:

19. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think the problem is with a) The type of bars they keep building and b) the rubbish that everyone seems to want to drink these days.

10 years ago when I first started drinking, there were plenty of pubs where you could enjoy a nice pint, sit at a table and talk to your mates without having to yell right in their ear. There are now only a couple of pubs like that left in our town centre. The pubcos seem to think everyone wants to go to bars where it's standing room only and the music is so earsplittingly loud that you cant hold a conversation. All there is to do then is get blatted and look at the scenery. The attempts of the councils to give us 'continental style cafe culture' have been a complete failure because they've granted planning permission to the wrong type of bar.

I don't think 'Englishmen + Booze = Trouble' is inevitable. Anyone ever go to the Great British Beer Festival ? London Olympia full with a couple of thousand people getting slowly sozzled, but always a chilled out atmosphere and never seen any trouble there. (And no, it's not full of Middle aged blokes with beards and beer guts)

If you sold people drinks which actually tasted nice, maybe they wouldn't drink so quickly. I also think vodka-red bull and similar drinks are a incredibly bad idea. Something which gets you drunk and makes you hyper at the same time seems like a recipe for trouble to me.

20. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...How is being teetotal moderation? :confused:

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    I think Gorshin was referring back to the binge drinkers although it was in an other paragraph.

22. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Nail and head. Well said that man! :smashin:

However the program did say the council didn't have a chance against the army of high-priced lawyers the breweries took to court to fight for their large-venue licenses. :mad: