Pano EX86 degrading pixels on fast action playing. Replace HD?

AJW1100

Standard Member
Reaction score
Bit complicated this.
We have a Pano EX86 recorder, its a few years old and has had a good amount of use. Recently we noticed that fast action, say dancers on Strictly Come Dancing the picture is pixelated on subjects edges, like their costumes are fraying at the edges, also apparent on F1 playback. Viewing is good on normal programs.
We can watch SCD fine on the TV, no fragmentation at all, but on the recordings costumes and dancers appear fragmented.
I have a Pano EX83 that the info screen died on, no time or LED output but I think the HD was fine. I am wondering if I can swap drives, not sure if that is possible as these things that appear simple always turn out a hassle!
Any suggestions?

Do not try to swap the drives. You will likely run into all kinds of trouble.

There is no need in any case.
What you describe are compression issues and will not reside in any issues related to the hard drive.

The two very programs you mention are extremely challenging in compression terms and take the system to the max. I sometimes see compression artefacts in those programs just via TV ( i.e. not recorded)

The one thing that is possible is that there is inadequate buffer space in internal memory.
Memory space can be come clogged with corrupted data.

Try clearing the memory by leaving the unit disconnected from the mains for an extended period, say overnight.

Do the same with the TV as the problem may equally reside there.

Thank you, I did wonder about swapping drives so thanks for your words of wisdom. We do turn off power to the TV when not in use and do not leave it on standby. However the Video recorder is normally connected and in standby mode.
I will disconnect it and see if the recordings improve. Will disconnecting affect the programs already set?

Thank you, I did wonder about swapping drives so thanks for your words of wisdom. We do turn off power to the TV when not in use and do not leave it on standby. However the Video recorder is normally connected and in standby mode.
I will disconnect it and see if the recordings improve. Will disconnecting affect the programs already set?

Scheduled recordings should remain unaffected - except obviously the machine could not record them if they occur whilst the machine is off.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom