1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny5 input options

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mrkjd, Jul 6, 2003.

1. mrkjd

mrkjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a Panny 42series 5 now prices appear to be droping a little but I'm concerned about the connectivity of this screen (see attached photo of standard board).

I will be getting a Denon 2900DVD and 3803 amp. I was going to feed the DVD prog scan by component to the Panny and then use the video up feature of the amp to use a single cable from amp to Panny for all other sources (XBox, Cable,Video etc). Is this possible with the standard connections board, and what are the pros and cons of my initial idea / other reccommendations.

Why couldn't they just have made a board with a sh*tpot load of inputs::rolleyes:

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

What you propose would be fine with an RCA or BNC component board. For your cable TV, you would need to convert the RGB output into component video with a converter such as those made by JS Tech. Panasonic have seen the error of their ways by offering the new series 6 panels with 3 card slots.

Steve

3. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Does the Panasonic TH42PW5 have both Component and S-video inputs?

Because if I were to buy one, i'm thinking I could connect my DVD player via Component, then use the S-video passthrough feature of my Amp to connect my X-box, Gamecube and PS2.

Of course that then begs the question as to how to connect Sky.

Gary A

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Gary,

Yes, the component boards include s-video and composite. Sky could be connected to the separate VGA input via an RGB to VGA converter.

Steve

5. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks again.

I really am leaning towards Plasma's. Reading the CRT forum, the Picture Frame 2 Toshibas have some problems with smearing and green patchyness and the new Pioneer PD30's are useless for video games.

Gary A

6. mrkjd

mrkjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I take it the VGA plug is on the monitor seperate from the main input board?

Is a VGA the same as a 15 pin computer Dplug?

How much are those RCB-VGA convetrers approx?

This connectivity issue is putting me off buying one - esp if u need to start adding converters etc. Might as well pay a couple of hundred quid more for the series 6.

Is the series 6 100MHz (to dealwith the flicker prob some mention in this forum). What other main improvements has the 6 got?

7. Zor

Zor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already have the Denon 3803 + 2900 combo. Was also looking at the Panny PD range. Now swaying towards the Panny 6 series.

As I don’t have sky I was going to try a Netgem FTA and try feeding everything initially through the 3803. I guess the results might be better connecting the 2900 via component direct to the Panny??