Panny37PW7 question for anyone whose got one (advanced settings) ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by music, May 23, 2005.

1. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    HI,
    firstly, I'd like to say thanks to all those on this forum who have given such fantastic advice - lisag, horny, piers etc. etc to name a few :clap: thanks - I got my panny and am well pleased. Installed inside marble fireplace - looks fantastic, great picture (with js scart to vga).

I know that you can't adjust the colour saturation via vga input but I saw lisag say you can make colour adjustments via the advanced menu. The settings are things like black extension, white balance for light red/light blue/dark red/dark blue etc. and gamma etc.

Do these really adjust colour or should I leave well alone? If I remember rightly lisag said her panny was too red but she was able to adjust it with the advanced settings?

Also, for how many hours should I leave the settings on low contrast and low brightness and cinema settings etc. I've done 35 hours so far (checked on service menu - though it's a little scary).

The only downside I've seen (unless your sitting right up to the screen) is that on football there is a slight rippling effect around the players when not in close up and when they are moving about (the footballers that is).

Thanks for any help.

Music.

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Good to hear that you like the panel - we told you it was good!

The advanced settings are really for us pros who have the test equipment and know what the settings do. My advice is leave well alone but the cynical may say "protecting his business" - I leave it to you to decide!

The PW7s are as close to bullet-proof as any screen that I have yet seen other than the new Fujitsu 40s, after 35 hours go for it and optimise your settings without worry about screen burn.

Shimmering around footballers / grass on long shots is a classic plasma defect. Poor source signal (low bit rate from Sky) is part of the reason, poorish internal deinterlacing (compared to an expensive external scaler) is also a factor. Accurate calibration reduces it but I would say that!!!!!

3. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    thanks Piers, can I assume that I can muck about with these settings if I like on the basis that I currently have them on the settings the screen came with and can always hit the normalise button to return to the same settings if everything goes wrong?

Anyway, the question was can these settings really adjust colour saturation?

I see Which magazine recommended Panasonuic plasmas generally!

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The advanced settings alter the greyscale - they don't alter the decoder adjustments and that is where, typically, the red push from Sky is seen and needs to be corrected. Play with the advanced settings to your heart's content, you won't do any damage (within reason!) and hitting the normalise button will get you back to factory defaults. Good luck - before my ISF training I thought I could improve the picture quality - 3 days of trying and I admitted defeat, got the other ISF guy down to do the job properly - that's part of the reason that I now do ISF!

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    The tv system we have is backward compatible with black and white tv. The image is made up of a black and white image with a low detail colour image overlayed on top.

The end colours we see on screen are a combination of the colour of the black and white image mixed with the overlayed colour info.

The RGB settings in the advanced menu are for adjusting the colour of grey/black to white, to the correct settings.

If you find that red objects are too saturated then adjusting the advanced red settings is not the answer. Reducing the red component in the greyscale will make black and white tend to CYAN. It might reduce the effect you see on screen but it will make EVERY other colour incorrect in the process....remember that if black and white/grey is actually cyan then when all the colour is overlayed everything is shifted to that colour.

As Piers says, play away though as it's easy to reset and if your error from your source is quite big you may find the cyan colour error less offensive. I would suggest though that you save to get Piers or someone similar around to calibrate the inputs for most accurate playback.

Cheers,

Gordon