1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny WPD7, Pioneer MVE-1 or other???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NickHack, Apr 15, 2005.

1. NickHack

NickHack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all!!

OK, after stalking these forums for some time now I've finally got round to registering and getting some questions answered!!

I've just moved into a house where the previous owner had a wall mounted plasma on a fake plasterboard fireplace. The reinforcement is still present...along with holes and rawl plugs so I guess I better put a plasma over it to hide it... :devil: .No the wife didn't buy into it either but thats not the point!!

Im looking to spend around £1500 - £2000 on a 42" screen. From no idea about plasmas I've now managed to get it down to 2 or 3 screens. My main concerns are:
    * Quality - I've heard all the arguments for and against pioneer and panasonic and I think overall I'm going to be happier with a Panasonic WPD7 over any similar model of Panasonic's (I believe the WPD7 has more functions, better glass than the WP7, please correct me if I'm wrong!) or Pioneer. How does the Viera screens compare to the WPD7?
    Future proofing - On this one I think Pioneer offer more security but from what I've read it doesn't seem like there is a 100% guaranteed safe option (other than having an HDMI input and something with the correct number of horizontal lines. Would a high def set (1080 by 860) give you this?
    Noob-freindly - I have a friend who works for Pioneer who has talked me through VGA conncections and sync blasters and I'm pretty secure in this setup but the Panasonic models seems to have the option to buy your own inputs sockets. If I buy Panasonic would I also buy a VGA input box or is there a better way to connect? and if so what is it and how does the price compare?
    New Models - another big concern is that i buy a screen now Panny or Pioneer will release a new model the week after and prices will drop considerably. Anyone know roughly how often this happens or how often prices drop in, say, a year?

Thanks in advance

Nick