1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny WD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rajibear, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Rajibear

Rajibear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit confused about the differenct version of the panasonic WD6. In these forums it say there is a SD and a HD version but on panny's website I can only see the TH42PW6B that is stated as being high definition.

Can anyone clarify the model numbers against the different versions please?

Also
    As you can get various connection add on cards for the Panasonic, do you think they will release one with a HDMI interface?

Rajibear

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Check out www.av-sales.co.uk has all the info you need on connectivity...

HD versions are only availabe as commercial versions the 'D' represents a commercial display. The W is for wide (SD) and the H is for high def (HD)...

JJ

3. Rajibear

Rajibear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info

I was trying to establish if the Panny has the capability to accept a HDMI inteface board that is if Panny decide to offer one in the future

or do you think it will not be possible at all due to some technical limitation. Just thought it might be possible as I understand Panasonic have US models with the HDMI inteface

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    There are rumours of a HDMI board being available at some unknown point in the future!! However, with some luck a HDMI - DVI lead will work without problems on the Panasonic since the video portion of HDMI is essentially the same as DVI (which is available now) for the usual progressive scan signals.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I wouldn't be quite so quick to claim this, HDMI is geared to AV where as DVI is more 'computer' based. There may well be some glaring holes in the DVI inputs of the latest plasmas that are actually DVD player outputs via DVI / HDMI!! LUCK BEING THE OPERATIVE WORD HERE ;)

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Joe from Media Factory has hdmi to dvi working on D6 but only at 720P@60Hz....which is pretty much what I found just using DVI from Leeza.

Gordon

7. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like Rajibear I too am a bit confused about this and know exactly what he means.

Jason jo mentioned that the H stands for Hi Def yet as Rajibear said the TH42PW6B is stated as being 'High Definition Plasma Display' on the Panasonic site.

I would also appretiate if someone could clear this up for me. Have Panasonic made a mistake on their site.

Cheers

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello all

Panasonic UK like to keep these forums busy with posts trying to decipher there product codes :)

First off were dealing with two beasts - Panasonic Consumer UK and Panasonic Business Systems UK.

Both sell plasma products very closely linked in terms of tech specs but with a few minor and a few key differences.

Panasonic Consumer UK sell Two ranges of Plasma products:
    PlasmaTV - with integrated tuner and video inputs
    Plasma Display - with input card slots and the option of an external Tuner unit (the Tuner is best avoided)

Panasonic Consumer UK sell TWO Plasma Display products:

TH-50PHW6 (Silver) which is a 50" 1366x768 Higher Definition Display that works with some HD signals without the need to down scale.

TH-42PW6B (Silver) which is a 42" 852x480 Standard Definition Display that can down scale certain Higher Definition signals (so is sold as HD ready).

Panasonic Business Systems UK only sell Plasma Displays and the current line up includes Three models:

TH-50PHD6BX (Charcoal) which is a 50" 1366x768 Higher Definition Display that works with some HD signals without the need to down scale.

TH-42PHD6BX (Charcoal) which is a 42" 1024x768 Higher Definition Display that works with some HD signals without the need to down scale.

TH-42PWD6BX (Charcoal) which is a 42" 852x480 Standard Definition Display that can down scale certain Higher Definition signals (so is sold as HD ready).

All of the above are currently available with an optional DVI input card that will work with many DVI and HDMI sources; providing the source can output at one or all of the FOUR video resolutions (and or SIX Data Resolutions) the card is set to accept.

Trust this helps - I have PDF brochures covering the Business System models and input cards if anyone wants a copy.

Best regards

Joe

9. Dave Ward

Dave Ward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,

I live in Germany and there are two 42" panels available in silver. One with 1024x768, contrast 3000:1 and one with 852x480, contrast 4000:1. Go have a look at panasonic.de, it's not too difficult for a brit to navigate.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello David

Panasonic Consumer UK - DO NOT import the 1024x768 display into the UK; I guess they don't see a need for it.

Best regards

Joe

PS You can Re-Spray bezels whatever colour you want with ease!!!

11. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've sent you PM about this Joe.

12. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So................ whats the better screen, i have been offered the TH-42PWd6BX for £1800.00, which price wise is a good deal....or is it!!

13. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Good price for that model, best web price is about £2150